The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

What's with all the people who are too impatient (or self important) to wait in the queue, and use the other-direction lane before barging in at the last minute? We are British after all, we're famous for queueing properly!

What's with all the people who are too impatient (or self important) to wait in the queue, and use the other-direction lane before barging in at the last minute? We are British after all, we're famous for queueing properly!

In answer to your last line, We may be British but are the queue jumpers?

Phil T.

• RMweb Premium

If you're going to crash a stolen car, do it right in front a large group of cops, including the Air Wing!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/dramatic-arrest-after-stolen-car-crashes-at-bundoora-murder-scene-20190117-p50ry2.html

Hopefully this idiot, didn't interfere with investigating the poor girls murder too much.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you're going to break road rules while driving, see how many you can break at once and then upload your own video of your actions too. In front of off-duty cops for good measure!

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/cop-that-d-head-cyclists-in-viral-video-were-off-duty-policemen-20190131-p50upn.html

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, this morning's snow has brought out some serious cockwomblery when referring to driving standards. Idiot on the A1(M) heading south from J62(Durham) at 15mph in lane 3 when lanes 1 and 2 were clear of both cars and snow was the best I saw...

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

Rather than a 'Dont Drive when Tired' or 'Dont Drive when Drunk'  what about a 'Dont Drive when Stupid' backed up by roadside IQ tests?

Would fix congestion too.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnofwessex said:

Rather than a 'Dont Drive when Tired' or 'Dont Drive when Drunk'  what about a 'Dont Drive when Stupid' backed up by roadside IQ tests?

1 hour ago, 30801 said:

Would fix congestion too.

Its nice having the road to yourself.;):rolleyes:

• Like 1

Listening to radio Essex last Wednesday, the presenter asked what lane (two lane road) they should use when going ahead at the roundabout, they thought it was the right land and so did a driving instructor 

Now I learnt that you stay in the left lane, went on to the Highway Code website and I was correct. unless otherwise instructed keep in the left lane then once past the left hand turn signal left. 

Now no wonder standards are so bad if driving instructors do not know the Highway Code

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

It's very worrying that most people think that ("drive on the left" unless signs/markings dictate otherwise is quite a simple rule really!) but very scary that a driving instructor should say such a thing.  I hope someone put the instructor straight, hopefully on air.  

• Agree 6

There are several styles of roundabout, what about those with only two other exits, or those with 4 other exits, then you have those with slip roads added.  The Highway code stated you cannot do a right turn on a roundabout, then you have the Magic roundabouts Swindon and Hemel Hempstead come to mind.  

As for the driving instructor, it was at the end of the show. So no

I have not looked at the Highway code for the answer but a roundabout without any signs having two lanes approaching it, but only 2 exit routes, straight across being the second of the two exit routes.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, hayfield said:

I have not looked at the Highway code for the answer but a roundabout without any signs having two lanes approaching it, but only 2 exit routes, straight across being the second of the two exit routes.

Here you go, then...

https://www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/roundabouts.html

Also depends on the roundabout, we have one on the way into work with only two exits, road off to the left and straight on. It's on a dual carriageway and the straight on bit is a continuation of the dual carriageway. The raod markings are clear, left lane for straight on or left and right lane for straight on, but because the roundabout is kinked slightly it's surprising the number of people who ignore the road markings and then cut back across the lane when exiting on the DC... The key thing is to look at the road markings (and signs) which seems difficult for some people to do, probably too busy on their mobiles!

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.4364228,-2.0789224,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVEyrLnuLNZA4WspgF1G2tw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Agree 1

Highway Code Rule 186

Signals and position. When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
  • keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave.

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
  • keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

• select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want.

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

(Coloured emphasis is mine.)

The first two instructions are pretty clear.  The third and last ones both use the word "appropriate", without defining how one should assess appropriateness, effectively leaving it up to each driver's discretion.  Unfortunately, as the most minimal observation of driver behaviour will evidence, far too many drivers appear to prefer exercising selfish disregard for other road users rather than anything that might reasonably be described as "discretion".  In the case of roundabouts, the classic example is arrogant, impatient, self-important cockwombles approaching in the empty left-hand lane when intending to turn right because they are can't be @rsed/are 'too important' to queue behind everyone else in the busy right-hand lane.

I'm 99.99% certain that rule 186 has been changed fairly recently.  I'm sure it used to say that, if there are two approach lanes and two exit lanes in the straight-on direction then you could approach in either lane and exit via either lane.  The diagram currently on the gov.uk web site seems to indicate that approach in left-hand lane/leave in left-hand lane is the only recommended practice:

the-highway-code-rule-185.jpg

EDIT: Looks like I was wrong about that last point.  The oldest version of the gov.uk highway code web site on the internet archive has the same diagram.  Worth bearing in mind, though, that road signs (including painted arrows on the road) can override the general advice.  For example, at this junction 98% of folks going straight on northwards approach in the right-hand lane, which is legitimate according to the road markings.  Sadly for those who are content to approach in the left-hand lane, too many of those right-hand lane approachers cut across the apex of the straight-on exit without paying much if any attention to what might be going on to their left (you can actually see the wear line on the tarmac in the satellite photo!)  And, of course, absolutely all of those taking the "racing line" immediately return to their rightful place in right-hand lane, where all the important people drive.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The above of course is if there are no markings on the road, On the Norwich Northern Distributer Road AKA Broadland Northway AKA A1270, the road markings change from roundabout to roundabout.

Some show left hand lane left turn only, middle lane straight on, Right hand lane right turn.

Some have left hand and middle straight on.

Some have middle and right straight on,

One has both left and right lane turn right... although there is a straight on it's into a farmer field...

All the above doesn't matter because I regularly see the left hand lane driving into the middle lane of the roundabout  cutting up those in the middle lane also going straight on in the middle lane of the roundabout.

What the highway code doesn't show is what happens when you have a car that is turning right, a car that has come from the left going straight over, and a car that has come from the other direction , when they occupy all three lanes of the roundabout and are all going for the same single lane exit....

1 minute ago, TheQ said:

What the highway code doesn't show is what happens when you have a car that is turning right, a car that has come from the left going straight over, and a car that has come from the other direction , when they occupy all three lanes of the roundabout and are all going for the same single lane exit....

If I am reading you right the simple answer to that is that it shouldn't happen, the rule is that you give way to traffic already on the roundabout, so the car that was on the roundabout first has priority (and should switch lanes as they go round the roundabout signalling as they do to ensure they are in the correct lane on exit). The other cars should give way (actually they shouldn't put themselves into a position where they are in conflict with the first car). This sort of thing usually happens when someone is unsure of themselves and other drivers are impatient.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Sadly it's something I see many times, especially if it's a slow artic or tractor and trailer turning left..They may have got on the roundabout first, but are almost last getting to the exit..

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If you like roundabouts, try commuting in Basingstoke - all the above problems are pretty common! A lot of the roundabouts have two-lane entrances and exits, which can make getting out of the side entrances difficult (constant stream of traffic on the 'main' route), several have queues in one lane - leading to impatient idiots using the other lane (mostly signed for the direction they apply to) to jump the queue and force their way in on the roundabout, etc...

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, hayfield said:

Listening to radio Essex last Wednesday, the presenter asked what lane (two lane road) they should use when going ahead at the roundabout, they thought it was the right land and so did a driving instructor 

Now I learnt that you stay in the left lane, went on to the Highway Code website and I was correct. unless otherwise instructed keep in the left lane then once past the left hand turn signal left. 

Now no wonder standards are so bad if driving instructors do not know the Highway Code

A quote from Vic Roads (Australia) says

"Travelling straight through a roundabout

If you want to travel straight through a roundabout:

stay in the same lane through the roundabout  

do not indicate as you approach the roundabout, but if practicable, signal left as you exit.

If there is more than one lane, you can approach the roundabout in any of the lanes, unless the lane is for left or right turns only."

So it is correct to go straight ahead from either lane (assuming two), unless arrows/signage say differently and of course these would over rule.

• RMweb Gold

This really makes me despair: Butt's Bridge Roadworks update

They have closed the road to replace the bridge under the Mid-Hants, and introduced temporary diversion routes - different directions for northbound and southbound. They are now having to bring in CCTV and Police etc to stop the following:

• People driving the wrong way along the one-way streets
  • People driving across the village green to short-cut the diversion
  • People speeding along the residential streets around the diversion
  • People moving the diversion signs and barriers to try and get through
  • Lorries ignoring the big "not suitable for HGVs" signs and trying to get through the town
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Kevin

BBC Radio Essex is in the UK and under the UK Highway code, which clearly states unless otherwise instructed use the left hand lane.

One of the issues in London are the surrounding area (though I expect this is not just a London issue) is the amount of those who learnt their driving skills in different countries, or driving un-licenced, or had a third party take the test on their behalf. Added to these those of us who took our test many years ago and failed to keep up with changes and or just forgot what they learnt, plus with more than a good sprinkling of either half whits or those who have no respect for others, and of course we do have Essex boy (and girl now) racers who have replaced their Mk1 Cortinas with hot hatches

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Sadly it's something I see many times, especially if it's a slow artic or tractor and trailer turning left..They may have got on the roundabout first, but are almost last getting to the exit..

As a bus/coach driver, I have been on the end of this no end of times.  I set off first, car from further round sets of a second or two later as I'm crossing the roundabout already (or just comes zooming onto it from out of my line of sight) and accelerates up to the side of me before braking hard.  No idea why they don't just ease off and pass behind. 

It's the same kind of idiots that see me sat in the middle of a traffic light junction, waiting to turn right, and having to wait til the lights change as there's too much oncoming traffic.  Traffic lights change, traffic from my left and right shoots off the mark as soon as theirs go to amber, and in more than one case, right up to the side of me as I'm still turning so I can't exit the junction, before lecturing me on how I "went through on red", despite the fact they can clearly see me stuck there waiting for a good 10 or 20 seconds, and that unless they let me get out of the junction, they can't get across anyway!  In the same way that people forget the "give way to traffic already on the roundabout" rule, they seem to forget that green means "go if it is safe/clear", not "blindly accelerate".

As far as lane discipline goes at roundabouts, most are clearly marked and/or signed especially if it is different from the above diagram which is fairly clear and sensible, yet people's inability to follow basic signs and markings - or even see them - is limitless...

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, hayfield said:

Kevin

BBC Radio Essex is in the UK and under the UK Highway code, which clearly states unless otherwise instructed use the left hand lane.

One of the issues in London are the surrounding area (though I expect this is not just a London issue) is the amount of those who learnt their driving skills in different countries, or driving un-licenced, or had a third party take the test on their behalf. Added to these those of us who took our test many years ago and failed to keep up with changes and or just forgot what they learnt, plus with more than a good sprinkling of either half whits or those who have no respect for others, and of course we do have Essex boy (and girl now) racers who have replaced their Mk1 Cortinas with hot hatches

I'm fully aware of where Essex is - I should be as born at Rochford Hospital!

However, my point is that roundabout can and do have have specific signs and lane markings on them, which over ride 'normal' rules.

If fact thinking about it, every two lane approach to a roundabout, I can think of here, ALWAYS have lane markings, as to which lane to use for the various exits.

A local one to me has a left only lane and a left/straight/right turn from the right.

Usually a roundabout is highly customised, as to the traffic flow around them and except for single lane all entrance/exits, have the arrows clearly marked - as indeed they need to.