The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

As long as the authorities get it right - I remember having to phone the roads department some years ago, when coming down the brae towards the Cromarty Bridge on the A9, I realised that the road had been re-surfaced and the road markings had been newly painted, and the arrows for " keep left" had been painted the wrong way and they were pointed right! You honestly would not believe it!

Some of the road markings hereabout are so worn that only a 'ghost' outline is visible, and then only if the conditions are right.

.. digressing slightly, why are 8 wheelers like the Tardis? When they are in front of you, they seem to be 20mph slower; when behind, they adopt a station right behind you at any speed. I’ve never understood this...

because the vast majority are tippers and as any hgv driver will tell you tipper drivers are a law unto themselves and a bloody liability 

because the vast majority are tippers and as any hgv driver will tell you tipper drivers are a law unto themselves and a bloody liability

Which also seems to apply internationally. They're just the same here.

When I worked at Harwich in the early 90s, there were accidents on the A 120, which took traffic from Harwich to the A12 at Colchester, where foreign tourists had driven on the wrong side, the A120 being 2 lane for the first 5 miles. This was partly caused by some ferries arriving early morning at a time when there was little other traffic on the road, problem was there were hgvs heading to the port. Multi language drive on the left signs were erected for several miles, as warnings.

When I worked down there, there were often accidents due to stupid overtaking as well. The bottleneck between Horsley Cross and Dovercourt used to always be deadly. Mind you, I would sometimes come off the car ferry myself after working abroad with my own car and get confused about which side of the road I should be on. There were signs saying 'Tenez A Droit' and 'Links Fahren' as you drove out of the port. Ok If you are french or German I suppose.

edit:typo's

Edited by Baby Deltic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having been to the Martlesham Heath Retail Park (near Ipswich) this morning, I can confirm that is possible to see many examples of poor driving standards at low "safe" speeds. Inconsiderate parking seems to be the preserve of Audi and VW drivers, Older drivers in far Eastern cars exhibit driving expertise and awareness that should cause them be banned for life. Desperate to get their retail therapy, mothers with their offspring demonstrate that lack of thought applies to walking as well as driving.

The whole experience is worsened by the poor road access, neither the developers or local council having done anything to make the previous road system capable of handling a considerable increase in traffic, despite their rental and commercial rates revenue from the much greater number of business properties.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As long as the authorities get it right - I remember having to phone the roads department some years ago, when coming down the brae towards the Cromarty Bridge on the A9, I realised that the road had been re-surfaced and the road markings had been newly painted, and the arrows for " keep left" had been painted the wrong way and they were pointed right! You honestly would not believe it!

Similar thing by us recently, new mini(ish) roundabout built on the nantwich to Chester road to access an industrial estate, approaching from Chester you have 2 lanes one for the ‘straight on’ main road that continues from a single exit from the roundabout and one for the industrial estate exit to the right (no exits left, just a canal)

The markings were put down which had the left hand lane with a ‘left turn’ arrow and right hand lane ‘straight ahead’ arrow and no arrow to head toward the industrial estate the first time I went over it, noted the left arrow which seemed odd but got in that lane anyway knowing there was no left turn, other cars however got in the straight ahead lane to find that there was no ‘straight ahead’ only an angled kerb, I should imagine there were lots of near misses over the 5 days the arrows lasted before being repainted correctly to show left for straight ahead and right for right!

Must admit the first time I went over it I thought, that’s odd and doubted myself as to whether I’d imagined the arrows the way they were so made a point the next day to have a proper look to confirm it, as I say they lasted less than a week!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

There were signs saying 'Tenez A Droit' and 'Links Fahren' as you drove out of the port. Ok If you are french or German I suppose.

edit:typo's

If the sign in Harwich was “... a Droit” I am not surprised there were accidents!

• Like 2

What a deterrent...not :(

I can't help thinking that, if the judge feels it appropriate to accept the "exceptional hardship" argument for not actually banning the driver, they could at least increase the remaining 'hardship' from a trivial £253 to a suitably punitive but non-'exceptional' amount.  If £16,000 would wipe out the guy's profit, up his fine to £6,000 so his profit is cut to £10,000.  A bit of enforced belt-tightening might help to bring home the message - and reduce the feeling that he "got away with it".

Edited by ejstubbs

If the sign in Harwich was “... a Droit” I am not surprised there were accidents!

Harwich used to have ferry ro-ro services from several European countries, Denmark, Sweden, Germany and The Netherlands, so not sure if all those languages were covered. It was the UK port for the triangle service run by DFDS that IIRC went Harwich, Gothenburg, Hamburg, which was the service used as the scenario for the BBC series 'Triangle'. Strange idea to base a soap opera series on a car ferry. The Triangular service was very popular as a mini cruise.

It was the UK port for the triangle service run by DFDS that IIRC went Harwich, Gothenburg, Hamburg, which was the service used as the scenario for the BBC series 'Triangle'. Strange idea to base a soap opera series on a car ferry. The Triangular service was very popular as a mini cruise.

Kate O'Mara sunbathed on it.

I can't help thinking that, if the judge feels it appropriate to accept the "exceptional hardship" argument for not actually banning the driver, they could at least increase the remaining 'hardship' from a trivial £253 to a suitably punitive but non-'exceptional' amount.  If £16,000 would wipe out the guy's profit, up his fine to £6,000 so his profit is cut to £10,000.  A bit of enforced belt-tightening might help to bring home the message - and reduce the feeling that he "got away with it".

Doesn't the fact that he already had so many points on his licence, tell you that he is basically not a good driver anyway, and will (probably) continue being one? To me, a licence is NOT a right to have (after passing the test), but a privelige, which has to be maintained or lost.

Stewart

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Driving to work this afternoon on the M6 near Hilton services I’m in the outside lane overtaking a couple of wagons in the middle lane that had moved out to let vehicles joining the motorway at the previous junction, cruise set to 70mph happily trundling along, clear lane ahead of me when suddenly the lead wagon cab jolts and it veers slightly toward me just as I reach I the rear corner of the trailer, plumes of smoke then came from the front of the wagon

next thing is See is a Volvo estate is being pushed along sideways by the wagon as I reach the tractor unit, the smoke pouring off all its tyres and I’m thinking I hope to god it doesn’t rebound or get thrown off into my lane, the wagon braked hard as I did i and luckily the Volvo stayed put before pulling off to the slip road for he services followed by the lorry!

A bit of a 5p-10p moment that was for sure, I can only assume the Volvo pulled out from the inside lane and clipped the edge of the wagon as it did so

• RMweb Premium

Driving to work this afternoon on the M6 near Hilton services I’m in the outside lane overtaking a couple of wagons in the middle lane that had moved out to let vehicles joining the motorway at the previous junction, cruise set to 70mph happily trundling along, clear lane ahead of me when suddenly the lead wagon cab jolts and it veers slightly toward me just as I reach I the rear corner of the trailer, plumes of smoke then came from the front of the wagon

next thing is See is a Volvo estate is being pushed along sideways by the wagon as I reach the tractor unit, the smoke pouring off all its tyres and I’m thinking I hope to god it doesn’t rebound or get thrown off into my lane, the wagon braked hard as I did i and luckily the Volvo stayed put before pulling off to the slip road for he services followed by the lorry!

A bit of a 5p-10p moment that was for sure, I can only assume the Volvo pulled out from the inside lane and clipped the edge of the wagon as it did so

Many drivers expect the traffic on the motorway to give way to them when they enter the motorway.

• RMweb Premium

Many drivers expect the traffic on the motorway to give way to them when they enter the motorway.

I would change many to most and include joining A road dual carriageways.

While attending a speed awareness course several years ago I raised this with the "instructor". They expressed the view that, as you are behind the car coming down the slip road, it is your responsibility to slow down and make way for them. That is not what I have always believed and is contrary to the Highway Code. It is also dangerous.

With such experts advising "delinquent" drivers incorrectly, is it surprising that driving standards are so poor.

Fair enough when there are gaps in the traffic on the main carriageway but if the flow is continuous how do those on the slip road safely enter the main road ? There is a junction near Oxford (at Botley onto the Western bypass heading north) that I simply do not use any more because the slip road is so short and the main carriageway is often nose-to-tail traffic.

Edited by caradoc

Fair enough when there are gaps in the traffic on the main carriageway but if the flow is continuous how do those on the slip road safely enter the main road ? There is a junction near Oxford (at Botley onto the Western bypass heading north) that I simply do not use any more because the slip road is so short and the main carriageway is often nose-to-tail traffic.

which, if the nose-to-tail traffic is travelling at speed, must be travelling at well under the ~2 second gap, which would leave enough room for cars that have matched the speed of the main flow* to merge...

* - driving slowly down slip roads and then joining at speeds 15-20mph lower than the flow traffic and only THEN accelerating to speed is another issue entirely

• RMweb Premium

I would change many to most and include joining A road dual carriageways.

While attending a speed awareness course several years ago I raised this with the "instructor". They expressed the view that, as you are behind the car coming down the slip road, it is your responsibility to slow down and make way for them. That is not what I have always believed and is contrary to the Highway Code. It is also dangerous.

With such experts advising "delinquent" drivers incorrectly, is it surprising that driving standards are so poor.

I regard it as good manners to let other people in if it's easy to do so, but no-one should expect it. Quite what is reasonable behaviour very much depends upon the traffic situation. If the road is quiet and I can pull out into the next lane to let someone in I'll do so. If it's very busy, so not freeflowing, letting a gap appear so someone can join is reasonable. But the primary responsibility is for the person joining the road to adjust their speed and position to find a gap to join. Joining traffic is crossing a line (I'd need to go back to the Highway Code to remind myself the precise legal definition of the lines at the end of a sliproad though, sadly - are they give way?). At the extreme, joining traffic needs to be prepared to stop, not an ideal situation by any means but that's what it is. Thankfully the worst location I knew for that, M6 J34 northbound has been completely rebuilt).

I've heard one or two stories about people giving speed awareness courses that give the impression they're clueless and don't know enough to be behind the wheel or in front of a classroom.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

A127 dual carriageway, westbound approaching the Halfway House on-slip. This slip road is about a quarter mile long and has complete visibility of the traffic on the main carriageway.

I'm on the inside lane and check nearside mirror for any traffic coming down the slip road as they can get up to quite a speed. There's one vehicle coming down and at the time was well behind me, so I carry on in the inside lane as they'll slip in behind as there's little traffic behind me on the inside and back aways.

Next thing I know is they're up the side of me trying to push out. I can't go out to the second lane as traffic is passing me, so I carry on. They have to slip in behind, then immediately overtake, causing traffic to brake, and then proceed to give me the "finger" out the driver and passenger windows.

Why on earth they didn't ease up and slip in easily in the first place is beyond me.

They just happened to be "ladies" in the offending car, with children. 

Rob