The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

It would appear that these people who have more than 12 points on their licence have at some point reached 12 points and been able to convince a court / magistrate that they need to keep their licence for exceptional circumstances. They have then continued to accumulate points on their licence.

I would have thought that if you had accumulated 12 points and convinced the court / magistrate not to take your licence away, that any further infringement - particularly if for the same sort of offence that had accrued the initial 12 points - would have meant an instant ban, with no redress, as they clearly are not capable of obeying the rules/laws of the road.

Retaining your licence through exceptional circumstances should be an absolute last chance to remain on the road until at least some of your existing points expire.

• RMweb Premium

In other 'hardship' cases which come to light from time to time one might be tempted to bemoan the fact that society has apparently become so organised as to make it unreasonably difficult to carry out a lot of normal activities without having ready access to a car. (Then again, there are such things as taxis and private hire cars*.)

That is an issue - society is very car-orientated (or travel-orientated full stop), and even though it's possible for some people to manage fine without it would be very difficult for a lot of us to do now. But whatever the ups and downs of that it means that if you do need a car then it's basic common sense to be sensible with it. If it's that essential then driving like an idiot and getting banned deserves no more sympathy than knocking holes in your roof and complaining about the cold and wet making life hard.

• RMweb Premium

It would appear that these people who have more than 12 points on their licence have at some point reached 12 points and been able to convince a court / magistrate that they need to keep their licence for exceptional circumstances. They have then continued to accumulate points on their licence.

I would have thought that if you had accumulated 12 points and convinced the court / magistrate not to take your licence away, that any further infringement - particularly if for the same sort of offence that had accrued the initial 12 points - would have meant an instant ban, with no redress, as they clearly are not capable of obeying the rules/laws of the road.

Retaining your licence through exceptional circumstances should be an absolute last chance to remain on the road until at least some of your existing points expire.

The last set of points before someone gets more that takes them up to or over 12 was the last chance.

Well, if it was the wife's sister who was the girlfriend, please do tell sometime soon!

Wow, real rodeo riding!

Mike.

Abridged version,

I went out with a girl called F (who wasn't a very good driver, see previous post),

after a few months she asked me to teach her younger sister to drive, called C.

(lets just say that one thing led to another!)

F is now my S-in-L as I ended up marrying C (and having 4 children) although it

was a bit 'interesting' when she found out what had been going on*, F is also now

married and will admit that we 'have history' when asked!

*for about 6 months!

Edited by jcm@gwr

• RMweb Premium

Hi

We've had a new one in the village recently. Someone who thinks its a good idea to park their car just before a 90degree blind bend when they have a perfectly good drive.

I think they've been taking notes from another idiot in the village that seems to think parking opposite a busy junction is a good idea. So far there has been one incident directly attributed to this but no one seems to care (I've seen a Police car parked behind the other car opposite the junction).

Common sense has certainly left the universe.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Two this morning - a BMW that didn't want to wait in the queue to turn left like everyone else, so drove up the 'straight on only' lane, then forced his way in on the roundabout, then a bin lorry which emerged from one office, pulled over on the right-hand-side of the road, then swung out to reverse into the next office - without checking whether the road was clear.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

We've had a new one in the village recently. Someone who thinks its a good idea to park their car just before a 90degree blind bend when they have a perfectly good drive.

I think they've been taking notes from another idiot in the village that seems to think parking opposite a busy junction is a good idea. So far there has been one incident directly attributed to this but no one seems to care (I've seen a Police car parked behind the other car opposite the junction).

Common sense has certainly left the universe.

Cheers

Paul

I live on a T junction, my drive is only three metres from the dropped kerb thats there for wheelchairs and pushchairs. Despite this there is often a vehicle parked there that either obstructs the dropped kerb or my drive.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/driver-cheats-death-a38-burton-1790794

It looks like the driver of the car two behind the driving school car might have started to indicate (difficult to be sure from the video), and the van driver was undertaking a tad enthusiastically, but the car driver does seem to have shown extremely poor rearward observation before executing their manoeuvre.

The incident appears to have occurred here.

• Like 1

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/burton/driver-cheats-death-a38-burton-1790794

It looks like the driver of the car two behind the driving school car might have started to indicate (difficult to be sure from the video), and the van driver was undertaking a tad enthusiastically, but the car driver does seem to have shown extremely poor rearward observation before executing their manoeuvre.

The incident appears to have occurred here.

Skateboarders 'grinding' along railings is one thing but doing it with a van is just ridiculous.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Premium

Today I was approaching a roundabout behind a slow car. The roundabout approach opens up to 2 lanes.

From the right hand lane, you can only turn right. From the left lane, you can go left, straight or right. Marked clearly on the road.

I want to turn left, so the left lane is my target. Happily the car in front goes into the right lane - perfect. But no, he changes his mind and cuts straight in front of me, into the left lane and turns left.

There are two lanes in the new road, so I head into the right lane to pass him. So what does he do, cuts in front of me again to get into the right lane!

Twice in less than 10 seconds, both occasions required braking from me! Roundabouts here aren't as prevalent as in the UK, but they certainly aren't new.

• RMweb Gold

Today I was approaching a roundabout behind a slow car. The roundabout approach opens up to 2 lanes.

From the right hand lane, you can only turn right. From the left lane, you can go left, straight or right. Marked clearly on the road.

I want to turn left, so the left lane is my target. Happily the car in front goes into the right lane - perfect. But no, he changes his mind and cuts straight in front of me, into the left lane and turns left.

There are two lanes in the new road, so I head into the right lane to pass him. So what does he do, cuts in front of me again to get into the right lane!

Twice in less than 10 seconds, both occasions required braking from me! Roundabouts here aren't as prevalent as in the UK, but they certainly aren't new.

He obviously learned to drive in Spain!

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

He's what's commonly known in the U.K. as an "A*shole"

Edited by polybear

• RMweb Premium

He obviously learned to drive in Spain!

Mike.

But there was no need for it, he was at the front with no queue whatsoever!

I do realise that in some parts, some people will do ANYTHING to get in front, no matter what the risk.

Now I know I don't know all of the facts regarding the tragic crash on the M40 yesterday,but dashcam footage clearly shows a car pulling a caravan in the middle lane going in the opposite direction to the rest of the Traffic. I have to ask would most drivers not ask themselves, what am I doing wrong? Then make for the hard shoulder and stop, then await for the arrival of the Police and get helped safely off of the motorway. They would obviously receive a ticket and an inevitable driving ban, but 3 people would still be alive today. Dementia comes to mind I am afraid.

Correction :-  Outside Lane apparently. Foreign Number Plates.  I still fail to understand how he drove so far.

When I drove in France for the first time and came off the ferry I went around the first roundabout the wrong way but quickly realised

Edited by CUTLER2579