The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Fly off hand brakes are brilliant, had one on my TR4 (miss it on the TR6), nothing beats a quick pull to do the handbrake turn into the supermarket slot ahead of the modern bloated box.

For those who have never had the pleasure, you pull (back) up lever & if you want to lock it, press the button on the top.  To release, a wee nudge towards yourself & brake is off.  Probably not for the average school run driver though    :sungum:

• Like 3

Having spent my career in the motor industry, working for a British, a German and a French manufacturer, I can assure you that is that is utter b*ll*cks.

The problem with any brand of car is invariably the idiots that own and drive them.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Gold

I also drive an automatic Mercedes, the parking brake release is on the right of the steering wheel, the pedal to apply it is on the left of the footwell. I don’t see how this makes my car any less safe.

The gear selector is a stalk on the right hand side of the steering column. Both need to be operated by my right hand, I can’t select a gear unless the foot brake is applied so there’s isn’t a problem releasing the parking brake first - I know this is different with a manual gearbox, but automatic cars are designed to creep forward slightly to help with hill starts, you need to adapt your driving style according to the vehicle you are driving.

The parking brake isn’t really designed to be used in traffic (the name gives it away “parking” brake) My car has a different feature for holding the car in traffic or at lights, it has a brake hold, once you have stopped using the brakes press the brake pedal slightly further, this enables the hold. The car remains in drive but all the brakes are applied,they are only released when you press the accelerator. Yes the brake lights remain lit but as far as I’m concerned anything that makes me more visible when the better.

Edited by StuAllen
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

drivers ... smokers .... fag ends thrown out of the window, twice seen over the weekend... in these conditions?

drivers ... smokers .... fag ends thrown out of the window, twice seen over the weekend... in these conditions?

Wait till they throw a lit fag end out onto a fuel spill - hope it catches up with only them

Wait till they throw a lit fag end out onto a fuel spill - hope it catches up with only them

Nothing will happen. Ciggie glow is not hot enough to ignite petrol.

Give it a try if you're feeling brave :)

Nothing will happen. Ciggie glow is not hot enough to ignite petrol.

Give it a try if you're feeling brave :)

But it works in the films!

Are you saying what happens on the films might not be entirely accurate?

• Like 2

But it works in the films!

Are you saying what happens on the films might not be entirely accurate?

in a film the hero/villain will enthusiastically slosh the contents of a jerry can all over everything including himself before manfully flicking his zippo into life and waving it about above the newly fuel soaked area then after five mins of corny heroic dialogue he will throw the lighter into the pool of fuel resulting in slow starting fire that slowly and evenly spreads  as he runs of into the distance with the newly rescued damsel .reality is the editing of the zippo  would cause the fuel vapour to ignite in a violent explosive fireball incinerating anyone nearby especially those with vapour soaked clothing .

• RMweb Premium

It's always a Zippo and never a crappy little one they got from Tescos.

That's 'cos the crappy one go out as soon as you let go, A Zippo will stay lit till you close the lid.

That's 'cos the crappy one go out as soon as you let go, A Zippo will stay lit till you close the lid.

Just light the receipt you got from Tescos when you bought it and use that. Then you still have a lighter.

Film people are idiots.

• RMweb Premium

in a film the hero/villain will enthusiastically slosh the contents of a jerry can all over everything including himself before manfully flicking his zippo into life and waving it about above the newly fuel soaked area then after five mins of corny heroic dialogue he will throw the lighter into the pool of fuel resulting in slow starting fire that slowly and evenly spreads  as he runs of into the distance with the newly rescued damsel .reality is the editing of the zippo  would cause the fuel vapour to ignite in a violent explosive fireball incinerating anyone nearby especially those with vapour soaked clothing .

Not quite sloshing it over himself.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0Tt7VUMLs8

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting driving dilemma seen this morning...

You're waiting at a set of traffic lights, on a box junction, entering a roundabout (This one, to be precise: https://goo.gl/maps/7NMWvaQztAL2). The lights change, traffic starts moving, but the lights on the next exit go red - so traffic stops. You, being the diligent law-abiding motorist, stop before entering the box, as your exit from it isn't clear - but you're already well past the solid white line and lights. The lights then change. As your exit clears, do you continue as you've already entered the junction, or wait for the next phase?

(I've seen people doing both, as well as others simply ignoring the yellow box completely, using the other lanes and forcing their way in, and all sorts of other stupidity...)

in reference to the highway code and having leafed through it a few times i wonder if i have missed the page where it says owners of sporty german saloons with loud exhausts do not have to display a numberplate at the front of their vehicle but can instead wedge it down the front of the dash preferably in the tinted area so its unreadable .seems to be slowly transfering to owners of small warm hatches . can anybody show me the relevant page thanks ?   

• Like 3

in reference to the highway code and having leafed through it a few times i wonder if i have missed the page where it says owners of sporty german saloons with loud exhausts do not have to display a numberplate at the front of their vehicle but can instead wedge it down the front of the dash preferably in the tinted area so its unreadable .seems to be slowly transfering to owners of small warm hatches . can anybody show me the relevant page thanks ?   

Saw him on Crescent Road in Duki a couple of weeks ago!

• Like 1