The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

racing on public roads, chavs in souped up novas   :nono:

yes, I know the road was closed, but effectively so is a town street late at night when the troubles are about

the road may be closed but unless there is an act of parliament in place ALL road traffic regulations still apply hence events like rally GB taking place on private land and forrest roads 

the road may be closed but unless there is an act of parliament in place ALL road traffic regulations still apply hence events like rally GB taking place on private land and forrest roads 

The law has recently been changed to allow race events on public highways hence Birmingham trying to bring the Formula E to the city in 2019.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

The law has recently been changed to allow race events on public highways hence Birmingham trying to bring the Formula E to the city in 2019.

Ian

Hence...

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/trailblazing-tendring-car-ralling-draws-6-000-spectators-to-district-1-5487072

the UK's first car rally on public roads since the regulations changed..

• Like 1

Wasn't there a street circuit race in Brum c1986. IIRC it was a washout because it coincided with the UK getting a flick from the tail end of a hurricane. Not much wind but a day or so of torrential downpour.

Or to put it another way: "I thought I was special and didn't have to follow the same rules as everyone else." See it all the time round here, in particular riding through the Haymarket tram stop which has large 'no entry except trams' signs at each end. OK, there's a bit of disruption at the moment due to sewer works but if you don't fancy the diversion you can dismount and walk through on the platform. (But please don't get me started on the arrogant ****holes who *ride* along the platforms. Or on the stupidity of cycling between the tram rails - with the attendant risk of getting a wheel caught - and with no easy means of escape to the side.)

AIUI an FPN isn't a 'prosecution' anyway: it doesn't result in a criminal record, although if you either refuse to pay, or opt to go to court, lose and don't pay up then you do run the risk of eventually ending up in chokey.

• Like 3

Not this year, closed road rallying has been given the go ahead and GB will use the streets of Llandudno in competitive sections. The first such event has already taken place down south somewhere. 

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 1

racing on public roads, chavs in souped up novas   :nono:

yes, I know the road was closed, but effectively so is a town street late at night when the troubles are about

Get with the times, Chavs haven't played in Novas for some 15 years (I had 3!), they are now incredibly rare and expensive classics or thoroughbred competition vehicles. 

Edited by Quarryscapes
  • Like 2

On the news this evening, BMW are recalling 10,000 cars in the UK due to an electrical fault. Perhaps they can make the indicators work while they're at it.

That's what the fault is apparently. I think one of them actually indicated causing another driver to crash due to shock and surprise.

On a more serious note, and very sadly, I might hasten to add, this fault is supposed to have caused a fatal crash from what I can make of it. Apparently a 66 year old ex Gurkha crashed head on into a Ford Fiesta after swerving to avoid a BMW which had cut out in front of him due to a burnt out cable.

Edited by Baby Deltic

• RMweb Premium

I'm stuck a road works lights cyclewomble rides up the inside and plonks himself In front of me. I think oh no, he's going to block us all through the works ... But no.....

After about 30 seconds he sets off through the cones, across the newly laid tarmac, cutting In front of the advancing roller, then up onto the pavement and off he went... I could see choice words being freely given by the workmen..

Meanwhile on the same trip I saw a immaculate Ford Anglia 105e with rostyle wheels and a chrome exhaust.

And shortly after a immaculate,. Beige.... Austin Allegro!!!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

On the news this evening, BMW are recalling 10,000 cars in the UK due to an electrical fault. Perhaps they can make the indicators work while they're at it.

300,000 according to the BBC Watchdog programme tonight, 312,000 according to the BBC News website. That's seems like a lot although it covers 1 and 3 Series, Z4 and X1 from 2011 to 2014.

The recall is for electrical problems, but non functioning indicators weren't mentioned.

Edited by Jol Wilkinson

• RMweb Premium

The recall is for electrical problems, but non functioning indicators weren't mentioned.

That's because the indicator fault is nothing to do with the car. All BMW drivers have that part of the brain disabled. Not sure how it works, must be an electromagnetic field or something.

• RMweb Premium

That's because the indicator fault is nothing to do with the car. All BMW drivers have that part of the brain disabled. Not sure how it works, must be an electromagnetic field or something.

Apparently not all according to some (actually one) BMW driving RMwebber..................................................

I expect the next BMW recall may be to replace non-functioning internal rear view mirrors, except when being used for applying lippy or shaving - or in the odd case, both.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

Really!

What an arrogant arse you are!

Signed a BMW driver who knows how to and does use his indicators correctly!

Edited by royaloak

Apparently not all according to some (actually one) BMW driving RMwebber..................................................

I expect the next BMW recall may be to replace non-functioning internal rear view mirrors, except when being used for applying lippy or shaving - or in the odd case, both.

Just read your reply and TBH I am getting a bit p-ssed off with the same boring BMW gags from the same old posters (not you I hasten to add), time I took a holiday from here and leave it up to the self important ###### I think.

A forum is supposed to be fun but I am not finding it fun at the moment.

Edited by royaloak