The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Blimey. Six days without any complaints....

I'll just leave this here.

attachicon.gif30688991_10211592466503047_2596564427742380032_n.jpg

Could have been me because I do that a lot in my BMW, in fact I recently had to change an indicator bulb because it had blown through being used so much!  :ok:

Edited by royaloak
  • Like 1

Nice to see them obeying all the traffic signals, Highway Code, etc and being considerate to other road users.

We don't all ride like that, that group seem to have lost their minds and are lucky to not have lost their lives. I watched the first 90 seconds and that was enough!

It's behaviour like that which gives the rest of us a bad name.

• RMweb Premium

I'd be curious to know what the legal situation is on putting a large well stuck notice over the windscreen as some places do to cars in parked illicitly on private ground.

I can see the logic that as you scrape it off so you can see out you have a chance to reflect on the error of your ways, but...

This tactic was used by the College security team when I was attending South Shields Marine & Technical College (now part of South Tyneside College) in 1979/80 during my Cadetship. Any car on college grounds found parked outside of the official car parks had an A4 sized notice glued right in the middle of the driver's side of the windscreen. It used to be a source of much merriment, watching miscreants struggling to remove said notice - but you saw little reoffending...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This tactic was used by the College security team when I was attending South Shields Marine & Technical College (now part of South Tyneside College) in 1979/80 during my Cadetship. Any car on college grounds found parked outside of the official car parks had an A4 sized notice glued right in the middle of the driver's side of the windscreen. It used to be a source of much merriment, watching miscreants struggling to remove said notice - but you saw little reoffending...

My memory may have exaggerated this with time, but the ones I recall were quite a bit more than A4!

• Like 1

I believe the practice of glueing notices to the windscreen is now either illegal or frowned on, not sure about side windows.  It could also damage some windows, trying to remove said notices, if they are not glass, which the security staff probably couldn't identify.

• RMweb Premium

I believe the practice of glueing notices to the windscreen is now either illegal or frowned on, not sure about side windows.  It could also damage some windows, trying to remove said notices, if they are not glass, which the security staff probably couldn't identify.

Assuming they wanted to identify them in the first place....

Sticking something on the side window sounds more dangerous to me, in that I would have thought it more likely someone would try to drive off without removing something on a side window.

Then again, seeing what some drivers fail to observe through a perfectly clear side window ("sorry didn't see you there") maybe I shouldn't worry.

I believe the practice of glueing notices to the windscreen is now either illegal or frowned on, not sure about side windows. It could also damage some windows, trying to remove said notices, if they are not glass, which the security staff probably couldn't identify.

Perhaps in the UK, but here in Oz it's alive and kicking for anything that looks to have been abandoned.

A few years ago, when I was working in Canberra, I regularly walked past a latish model large Audi that had been in place so long that strata of notices had built up into a respectable 4mm mountain range of papier mache. I was particularly fascinated by the fact that someone's shopping was carefully placed on the back seat and there was a pair of obviously quite expensive sunglasses in the centre console. A Teutonic Marie Celeste of the National capital ;). I was most disappointed when the powers that be finally got around to moving it.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps in the UK, but here in Oz it's alive and kicking for anything that looks to have been abandoned.

A few years ago, when I was working in Canberra, I regularly walked past a latish model large Audi that had been in place so long that strata of notices had built up into a respectable 4mm mountain range of papier mache. I was particularly fascinated by the fact that someone's shopping was carefully placed on the back seat and there was a pair of obviously quite expensive sunglasses in the centre console. A Teutonic Marie Celeste of the National capital ;). I was most disappointed when the powers that be finally got around to moving it.

Possible that the owner may have been arrested, taken ill or even died. Just a thought, I hope there was no frozen food or any other foodstuffs in that shopping.

We don't all ride like that, that group seem to have lost their minds and are lucky to not have lost their lives. I watched the first 90 seconds and that was enough!

It's behaviour like that which gives the rest of us a bad name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleycat_race

Note that the section about legality, specifically the paragraph about the UK, is flawed.  A better summary is provided here, from which the fundamental regulation is that Road Racing is permitted on the Highway provided notice is given to the local police, who have the power to impose such conditions as they think fit (source).  However, the closing statement of the preceding paragraph in the Wiki article is pertinent: "As a result of the potentially dangerous nature of the sport as well as widely varying local laws an alleycat is almost never a fully legal endeavor."

Stop press: people who choose to break the law often do so recklessly and with scant regard for their own safety or that of other people.  Who knew?

Or in other words: nothing to see here, move along please.

Edited by ejstubbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alleycat_race

Note that the section about legality, specifically the paragraph about the UK, is flawed.  A better summary is provided here, from which the fundamental regulation is that Road Racing is permitted on the Highway provided notice is given to the local police, who have the power to impose such conditions as they think fit (source).  However, the closing statement of the preceding paragraph in the Wiki article is pertinent: "As a result of the potentially dangerous nature of the sport as well as widely varying local laws an alleycat is almost never a fully legal endeavor."

Stop press: people who choose to break the law often do so recklessly and with scant regard for their own safety or that of other people.  Who knew?

Or in other words: nothing to see here, move along please.

I thought "Alleycat" was just the name of the poster of the video or who filmed it, I had no idea it had any other meaning.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I saw a car at the weekend with a notice glued to the windscreen saying that it shouldn't be on the road as it wasn't taxed.

I couldn't tell you if the windscreen was glass or some other appropriate transparent material.

racing on public roads, chavs in souped up novas   :nono:

yes, I know the road was closed, but effectively so is a town street late at night when the troubles are about

Edited by duncan