The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

maybe there is a reason for that ?

Better weather.

Just like it also becomes a "weekend drivers standards" and "motorcyclists riding standards" thread.

Until it returns to a "driving in bad weather without lights on/DRL debate" in a few months time.

Again.

Edited by newbryford

• RMweb Premium

We went on an off road training day given as a treat for buying a Land Rover. I asked how the modern ones compared. The major difference was what happened in water that was too deep. The modern ones float away, the older versions sink.

Only as long as the door seals last...

Until it returns to a "driving in bad weather without lights on/DRL debate" in a few months time.

Just so long as it doesn't turn back into the regulation headlight mounting height thread I'm good.

And round it comes to a "cycling standards" thread.

Again.

Today's cyclists may be tomorrow's drivers, though some of them seem to be after a Darwin award instead.. In any case a thread that runs to 211 pages has a rather high probability of repeating itself. I suspect that for most of us it's a place to let off steam and I certainly needed to do that

I'm not going through all 211 pages to count but I'd hazard a guess that the number of actual themes in this thread isn't that large but how many ways to say that some prices asked on EBay are a bit ambitious are there to fill almost a thousand pages?

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just so long as it doesn't turn back into the regulation headlight mounting height thread I'm good.

No, but we could have  " blinding LED cycle lamps", especially annoying when the cyclist is riding towards you on the nearside pavement. But that would then become "why the highway Code, common sense or consideration for others" isn't applicable to some cyclists (or many other members of society, either).

Today's cyclists may be tomorrow's drivers

They may be yesterday's and today's drivers too.  People aren't limited to using only one form of wheeled transport (though it's best not to try using more than one at the same time).  I'm pretty sure that I've travelled by bus, bike, motorbike and car on the same day.

And most people are pedestrians when wheeled transport is not an option (though a worrying number of them are rubbish at that, too).

Edited by ejstubbs

• RMweb Premium

They may be yesterday's and today's drivers too.  People aren't limited to using only one form of wheeled transport (though it's best not to try using more than one at the same time). 

I don't know....driving through the channel shuttle trains is rather fun...

(Although admittedly it's not encouraged when the trains are moving)

Talking of repeating....

The DRL's on my i30 turn off when you put the headlights on.  The B-Max that preceded it turned half the LED's off in the DRL's when the lights were on.

Admittedly still not much good if the driver still thinks that DRLs are enough at night.

• RMweb Gold

They may be yesterday's and today's drivers too.  People aren't limited to using only one form of wheeled transport (though it's best not to try using more than one at the same time).  I'm pretty sure that I've travelled by bus, bike, motorbike and car on the same day.

And most people are pedestrians when wheeled transport is not an option (though a worrying number of them are rubbish at that, too).

and I suspect that many of the people who cycle like idiots also drive like idiots (and vice versa), and act just as selfishly in other aspects of life...

Unfortunately selfishness seems to be getting more and more common these days :(

• RMweb Premium

No, but we could have  " blinding LED cycle lamps", especially annoying when the cyclist is riding towards you on the nearside pavement. But that would then become "why the highway Code, common sense or consideration for others" isn't applicable to some cyclists (or many other members of society, either).

Just for good measure, the thread could drift off into, 'Young people have no idea of hard work, unlike the good old days'! So many threads on RMweb like that and the same contributors moaning.

Fact is, so many of these young people are ripped off today, as its an epidemic that 'employees' are put onto sham contractor deals and are paid way under awards - the so called 'Gig' economy.

What incentive is there? I heard on the local radio today of employees, working anything up 50, 60, 80 even 101 hours a week, for a standard 40 hours a week pay packet. This was in a top shelf restaurant. One ex-employee made the comment, that it wasn't unusual for a small group at a table, to be billed more than his weekly pay packet.

At least in the 'old days' people generally got paid their entitlements, on time.

But please don't take this thread down this path, just agree or ignore and discuss it elsewhere.

... wasn’t that the same practice that was formerly euphemised as “OTE”, “On Target Earnings”, promised commission incomes which were quite impossible to achieve?

My nephew worked for a cold-calling centre for a while, a major construction agency, in the 90s. He reckoned that when someone left, his “book” was rapidly cherry-picked by their supervisor or immediate neighbours. The rubbish, plus any low-performing accounts were bundled into a “list” which was handed to the NEXT “new start”. About 50% of new starters would give the job up as hopeless within two to three weeks, and so the process continued...

A variant of this was the practice of “advancing” against future earnings, usually one weeks’ OTE, against future commission. This had the effect of keeping a fair number of “new starts” chained to the job until they had done enough business, and accrued enough commission, to clear the advance.

About 100 pages ago (I know, I am a slow thinker), there was a lot of moaning about bad or pavement parking. Which set me thinking. Would it be a crime to deflate some of the tires, on the basis that this would not cause permanent / criminal damage, but would sufficiently inconvenience the offender. Plus a warning note on the windscreen. For the record. I have never done this, I am not planning to do his, I am not encouraging others to do this. But still, I wonder.... Legal experts (qualified and unqualified) shoot me down.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

About 100 pages ago (I know, I am a slow thinker), there was a lot of moaning about bad or pavement parking. Which set me thinking. Would it be a crime to deflate some of the tires, on the basis that this would not cause permanent / criminal damage, but would sufficiently inconvenience the offender. Plus a warning note on the windscreen. For the record. I have never done this, I am not planning to do his, I am not encouraging others to do this. But still, I wonder.... Legal experts (qualified and unqualified) shoot me down.

Tampering with anyone's vehicle is an offence, no matter how minor. Sticking a note under the windscreen would be the limit.

• RMweb Premium

Tampering with anyone's vehicle is an offence, no matter how minor. Sticking a note under the windscreen would be the limit.

Even that may be a problem, since the biggest offenders on this industrial estate are the police parked outside the station.

Another sink hole has appeared in the Norwich roads...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/sinkhole-appears-in-norwich-road-1-5473822

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

I'd be curious to know what the legal situation is on putting a large well stuck notice over the windscreen as some places do to cars in parked illicitly on private ground.

I can see the logic that as you scrape it off so you can see out you have a chance to reflect on the error of your ways, but...

Even that may be a problem, since the biggest offenders on this industrial estate are the police parked outside the station.

Another sink hole has appeared in the Norwich roads...

http://www.edp24.co.uk/motoring/sinkhole-appears-in-norwich-road-1-5473822

Brings to mind the old one about a hole "the council are looking into it" I know - hat coat gone!

We went on an off road training day given as a treat for buying a Land Rover. I asked how the modern ones compared. The major difference was what happened in water that was too deep. The modern ones float away, the older versions sink.

I went on a Land Rover factory tour last year.  I think the guide quoted the official maximum wading depth as 900mm for that very reason.  He said that, fully laden they can wade though water a metre deep, but they need to be full to stop them floating!

• Like 1