The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Traveling on the A38 between Derby and Burton yesterday afternoon in a blizzard noter a large number of cars with no lights and no wipers working. Why?

How many were 4x4's and german cars, the owners of which seem to think they are immortal?

Mike.

Coincidentally I was driving along this stretch of road at that time, and can answer the questions comprehensively.

Firstly, whilst it was snowing, it was not blizzard conditions - having driven in such I can tell the difference. Visibility was at least double that required for driving at 70mph, including that of cars with no lights. Secondly, what snow there was was merely wafting over the top of the windscreen, not landing on it. the only need for wipers was to deal with the small amount of spray thrown up from the wet road, and having the wipers on anything above intermittent would have them scraping an almost dry screen.

There did not seem to be any difference in behaviour according to car type, other than driving at their usual speeds as the conditions permitted.

Now I am well aware that conditions can change quickly, but as I live in Derby I can confirm that there was no heavy snowfall in the area until later in the evening.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A lot of people see drls and put their lights on when it's not required..

There is no way I'd buy a white or silver car round here, some tractor would run over you in the fog or a blizzard.

Coincidentally I was driving along this stretch of road at that time, and can answer the questions comprehensively.

Firstly, whilst it was snowing, it was not blizzard conditions - having driven in such I can tell the difference. Visibility was at least double that required for driving at 70mph, including that of cars with no lights. Secondly, what snow there was was merely wafting over the top of the windscreen, not landing on it. the only need for wipers was to deal with the small amount of spray thrown up from the wet road, and having the wipers on anything above intermittent would have them scraping an almost dry screen.

There did not seem to be any difference in behaviour according to car type, other than driving at their usual speeds as the conditions permitted.

Now I am well aware that conditions can change quickly, but as I live in Derby I can confirm that there was no heavy snowfall in the area until later in the evening.

There were snow squalls all Saturday afternoon in the area. Between Sudbury and Ashbourne on the A515 we varied between bright sunshine, and headlights on with two car length visibility, and back to bright sun again in less than 5 minutes. During the bad bit we came almost nose to nose with some idiot with no lights on who was overtaking the sensible, much slower drivers, driving with lights on at a speed to suit the conditions. To fuel all the prejudices he was a dark skinned young gent in a white BMW. He was a little paler as he skimmed past us.

When we traveled the snow was quite heavy wet and sticky and visability was reduced

DRL's cause a lot of the problems, folk think their tail lights are on too - not so mostly.  Some cars have such bright DRL's that they don't see the need to put headlights on.

....including the driver of a Kia Soul on the M1 on Friday night who was nothing but a dark blob from behind.

• RMweb Gold

Some people must be as thick as pigsh1t when it comes to snow. A radio report from a police sergeant on Haldon Hill ( a notorious stretch of the A38 in winter conditions) said that they'd encountered drivers on the hill who were out to 'look at the snow' and then becoming part of the problem.

These halfwits defy understanding.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/roads-closed-across-devon-monday-1355669

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Premium

Traveling on the A38 between Derby and Burton yesterday afternoon in a blizzard noter a large number of cars with no lights and no wipers working. Why?

Because they do not think

Some people must be as thick as pigsh1t when it comes to snow. A radio report from a police sergeant on Haldon Hill ( a notorious stretch of the A38 in winter conditions) said that they'd encountered drivers on the hill who were out to 'look at the snow' and then becoming part of the problem.

These halfwits defy understanding.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/roads-closed-across-devon-monday-1355669

no doubt suitably attired in Tshirt board shorts and flipflops as the car will be nice and warm with the heat on 

• RMweb Gold

Funny moment this morning. Daughter and I were walking the dogs, nearly home and needed to cross the road. When we got to the pedestrian crossing there was a gap in the traffic although there was a car coming at quite some speed but was some way off. We started to cross and it become apparent the driver of the car was coming towards us really had his foot down but he noticed us just in time and had to stand on the brakes to stop. This made me angry!

Although it's a village there were several retired people wandering to the local shop for a paper, other people walking their dogs, children going to the bus stop to get the school bus, lots of people about. A really stupid time to drive through the village at speed without paying attention. I therefore felt he deserved some advice

I walked round to the drivers window and it very quickly became apparent that something wasn't right. There seemed to be hair all over his face but non on the top of his head. It slowly registered that because he braked so hard his wig had slipped down over his face. It was therefore not easy to summon up any more anger as I was too busy laughing (along with a couple of others who had seen the idiots driving and had wandered over). Just a shame I didn't have my phone so could take a picture. He was definitely very embarrassed so hopefully he learned a lesson 

I think the moral is that if you wear a wig either make sure it's secure or pay attention when your driving!

• Like 1

no doubt suitably attired in Tshirt board shorts and flipflops as the car will be nice and warm with the heat on 

That was always the "nice" thing about riding a motorcycle in inclement conditions. In the event of becoming stuck or otherwise immobilised you're already wearing a pretty good arctic survival costume and, having become used to the icy wind blast, being stopped is wonderfully warm. Mind you, my own favoured collection of layered wool, denim, leather, sheepskin, canvas and PVC was so bulky as to make walking, or indeed fitting through normal doorways, difficult, so if the bike became immobilised then so did I :D.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised he's still alive let alone being able to drive after this lot..

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/chef-banned-from-driving-after-races-binge-1-5444592

18 pints and only 53ug of breath, sounds rather low to me. Was the beer watered down?

He only got caught, because he hit the mirror of a police car.

• RMweb Premium

Followed a car for about 8 miles on the road to work today.

Wing mirrors folded in.........

It has a private registration, so it "stands out" a bit.

I often see it - going the opposite way to my regular commute.

And the number of times it has come around a blind corner at speed and having to take avoiding action from me towards the hedgerow, I'm actually not surprised that they drive with mirrors folded in........