The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

I don't remember any there, but I've only been that way up the A1 once (only been along the A68 once either, that's a cracking drive though, pity it's an inconvenient route from where I live). The three lane sections I know are still there are all on the A6 to the south of Shap. Most of them have been painted into something else but there are still a few sections. You'd have to be mad to use them, heaven knows why anyone thought it was a good idea in the first place.

Yeah I was very surprised to find two longish sections marked just with dashed white lines between all lanes.  The A68 is a nice road, and I tend to do it at quiet times so usually fun to drive.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Plenty of people out this morning with most of their car covered in snow, just the wiper-swept area cleared...

That Much!

Plenty of people out this morning with most of their car covered in snow, just the wiper-swept area cleared...

And a prime example 'beached' atop a traffic island with railings all crunched up underneath, this morning just a short way from home; on a road with a clear surface, yesterday evening's gritting having been effective.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

More luck than judgement I feel.  Having driven them I can say that the front end most likely went where he wanted it to but he would have no control over the back once it started to slide.  If that weight which is mostly at the back decides to go you ain't stopping it.  Not to say that the driver didn't do well but I still maintain there was an element of luck.

More luck than judgement I feel.  Having driven them I can say that the front end most likely went where he wanted it to but he would have no control over the back once it started to slide.  If that weight which is mostly at the back decides to go you ain't stopping it.  Not to say that the driver didn't do well but I still maintain there was an element of luck.

Mmmm, double-decker drifting. Is that even a thing nowadays?

Mmmm, double-decker drifting. Is that even a thing nowadays?

Not easy holding the chocolate bar in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. Even harder if you are trying to chew off the nougat first then eat the bottom crunchy bit whilst trying to control the drift.

Another fun morning this morning and very regrettable that I forgot my warm hat and my shovel. Muggins here thought all the roads had been gritted so it would be a clear run from Colchester to Weybread in Suffolk. I didn't count on the snow drifts off the fields. The A140 was shut and the smaller roads covered with snow drifts. Although I didn't get stuck myself, it was no fun spending two hours in freezing cold winds and deep snow trying to help a couple of van drivers that had. Its amazing how many selfish gits there are too who just drove past.

• RMweb Premium

Yep.  I have to agree.  I say that as a professional who knows how these things handle, and have had one start to go sideways in snow.  In this case, while I wonder what on earth the car driver was doing, if I were looking at that from Lothian's point of view I'd be saying that although the driver did well to control his slide, the bus was probably travelling too fast for the conditions.  It's easy to get lulled into a sense of security, a bus will grip better than a light car, and it's often possible to drive closer to "normally" in light snow where a car might have to be much more cautious.  I'm already braking and steering gently in good conditions, so snow doesn't require much of a change to those.  BUT what does change is your ability to react quickly in a situation like this one.  It's good to be able to control your vehicle when things go wrong.  It's better not to get into that situation in the first place.

Of course, it might be that I'm being unduly harsh, without knowing the full story it's hard to comment properly.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

It's good to be able to control your vehicle when things go wrong.  It's better not to get into that situation in the first place.

Prevention is better than cure.

Number 1 cause of a skid is the driver.

• RMweb Premium

Not cleaning it off the roof of your car is also dangerous.

https://www.facebook.com/100006322866768/videos/1887459648141446/

Had that happen just south of the Manchester ship canal bridge on the m6, only it was an 8 by 4 sheet of shuttering ply that came off a skip lorry going the other way.

To say it was frightening was an understatement...

• RMweb Premium

A plea to any 4WD owners out there. Not any member on here I'd hope.

You may have sufficient grip to drive a little faster than the 2WD vehicles in these poor conditions. But we are driving appropriately expecting everyone else to be doing the same.

I'm sorry to hold you up from your most important appointment but that's no reason to intimidate other road users.

Let's all get to where we are going safetly please.

Rob

• Like 1

Police closed a road up a steep hill near me yesterday afternoon because of the weather, and several hours later had to rescue several drivers stuck on same hill who had ignored the signs and cones.

• Like 2

Another fun morning this morning and very regrettable that I forgot my warm hat and my shovel. Muggins here thought all the roads had been gritted so it would be a clear run from Colchester to Weybread in Suffolk. I didn't count on the snow drifts off the fields. The A140 was shut and the smaller roads covered with snow drifts. ....

I bet the verges were well-hidden.... :mosking:

A plea to any 4WD owners out there. Not any member on here I'd hope.

You may have sufficient grip to drive a little faster ....

Not if they're on summer tyres they're not!

Edited by Horsetan

Not if they're on summer tyres they're not!

I hate seeing massive SUVs zooming along on racing car tyres.

After having winter tyres for the last decade and the last few winters being so mild, I didn't bother with them for the Leaf. It runs on EV Eco tyres which are terrible in the cold.

Have some Auto Socks for it though which I made use of today...

Yep.  I have to agree.  I say that as a professional who knows how these things handle, and have had one start to go sideways in snow.  In this case, while I wonder what on earth the car driver was doing, if I were looking at that from Lothian's point of view I'd be saying that although the driver did well to control his slide, the bus was probably travelling too fast for the conditions.  It's easy to get lulled into a sense of security, a bus will grip better than a light car, and it's often possible to drive closer to "normally" in light snow where a car might have to be much more cautious.  I'm already braking and steering gently in good conditions, so snow doesn't require much of a change to those.  BUT what does change is your ability to react quickly in a situation like this one.  It's good to be able to control your vehicle when things go wrong.  It's better not to get into that situation in the first place.

Of course, it might be that I'm being unduly harsh, without knowing the full story it's hard to comment properly.

The driver has been revealed (its a woman!http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-43255368

Jim

• Like 2

I hate seeing massive SUVs zooming along on racing car tyres.

It's a problem in this part of remotely rural Norfolk. where you'd think most people would know better. Two days ago many cars (including 4x4s) in their summer tyres were skidding all over the shop. Yesterday the Police advised only driving if it was an emergency and the roads have been much emptied since then. The Council has done a good job too with snow ploughs and gritters - heavy drifting off the fields has been a big problem here.

I do find it interesting that most people wouldn't dream of walking out in this weather wearing their summer sandals, but expect their cars to cope on summer tyres. I suppose this weather happens relatively infrequently so people don't really know how to deal with it. I do wish they'd at least leave a bit more distance from the car in front though.

Paul

• Like 3