The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

have always said use of mobile phone whilst druving should trigger a penalty similar to no tax or insurance instant seizure untill punitive fine is paid for release be it bus truck taxi car or whatever that would focus some minds quickly

ouch !

More

Court Result. Patrick Mulhern. 64 years old of Heaton Moor, Stockport. Pleaded guilty at Magistrates Court to using a mobile phone whilst driving in the Longsight area of Manchester. Fines & costs £1075.00 + 6 points endorsed on his licence.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I am always gob smacked why these phone calls are so important they have to be answered straight away.  These days most cars either have hands free built in or it can be added for very little.  You see a car value 40 - 50k and you just know it has hands free yet the driver is still holding the phone.  Having said that even taking hands free calls is dangerous.

Couple of people have been killed here lately by someone on the phone.  What did we do before mobile phones?  How on earth did we manage not being in contact with someone every second of the day?

• Like 1

I am always gob smacked why these phone calls are so important they have to be answered straight away.

I think a lot of these people aren't 'on the phone' in the sense of making calls.  From what I've seen from the top deck of buses they're texting, surfing the web, and "keeping up" with Facebook, Twitter and all those other giant leaps of 21st century communications technology that mark the inexorable progress of mankind towards its ultimate fate destiny.

• RMweb Premium

An automatic ban, though only 12 months acted as a deterent to drink driving so the same should apply to mobile phone users. As for causing a death while driving, there should be an automatic life ban, no ifs or buts you do not get behind the wheel again.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I think a lot of these people aren't 'on the phone' in the sense of making calls.  From what I've seen from the top deck of buses they're texting, surfing the web, and "keeping up" with Facebook, Twitter and all those other giant leaps of 21st century communications technology that mark the inexorable progress of mankind towards its ultimate fate destiny.

Not when the phone is held up to their ear.

• RMweb Premium

Phones as well are getting harder to use, years ago I could dial a number without looking at the screen.

My latest I cannot even answer sometimes as it is so particular.

My previous was easier that I could blind pick up ringing phone and reject call. (only thing I do to a mobile when driving is shut them up).

I have worked out that my current work telephone is impossible to use and drive as I struggle sat down at work.

How some people can drive and use a phone makes me wonder how safe they are.

So if this phone decides to ring when driving I thing it will have to be chucked out the window.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Phones as well are getting harder to use, years ago I could dial a number without looking at the screen.

My latest I cannot even answer sometimes as it is so particular.

My previous was easier that I could blind pick up ringing phone and reject call. (only thing I do to a mobile when driving is shut them up).

I have worked out that my current work telephone is impossible to use and drive as I struggle sat down at work.

How some people can drive and use a phone makes me wonder how safe they are.

So if this phone decides to ring when driving I thing it will have to be chucked out the window.

Turn the bloody thing off, let it ring out or throw it on the back seat/boot.

Picking the phone up and pressing a button is the same as answering, your attention is elsewhere. 

• RMweb Premium

Turn the bloody thing off, let it ring out or throw it on the back seat/boot.

Picking the phone up and pressing a button is the same as answering, your attention is elsewhere. 

Pwoering them off and on is a faff.

pressing one place on phone without looking is not a problem.

Using them is.

• RMweb Premium

Progress: Phones, heating/air con, demisters, radio, all of which can no longer be controlled by touching a button but need you to look at and interact with a touchscreen...

Progress: Phones, heating/air con, demisters, radio, all of which can no longer be controlled by touching a button but need you to look at and interact with a touchscreen...

In my experience of 1960s era cars, these caused no distraction for the driver. They never worked and so it was pointless fiddling with them ;).

• RMweb Premium

In my experience of 1960s era cars, these caused no distraction for the driver. They never worked and so it was pointless fiddling with them ;).

or a landrover of any age :no:

• RMweb Gold

Pwoering them off and on is a faff.

pressing one place on phone without looking is not a problem.

Using them is.

My latest phone has an option that, when the phone is placed face-down, puts it into "do not disturb" mode - so get in car, take phone out of pocket, put face down in cubby hole (or on passenger seat), then insert key into ignition - no button presses needed.

The heater on my '73 Triumph works quite well, but the controls are unlit and I've not quite learnt which is which yet... The one on my old SIII Landy was "put a coat on first"

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I believe one button is grass verge driving mode. :jester:

My landrover is long before press button driving. Though I took to the verge yesterday, driving up the A149, a wide load came the other way, So wide it filled it's carriageway, the "6ft," hashed markings in the middle and half my carriageway. So I took to the verge / pathway which was no problem for a 110 with LSD and new tyres.

My 110 is of course, coat, hat and gloves on. New thermalite gloves have just been delivered by the house of strong women.

• Like 2

Just returned from St Albans town centre, a journey of about 1 mile. First set of lights I come to, woman turning right on a no right turn blocks road despite several cars hooting, lights missed. Next junction, I'm turning left into a one way street, car comes towards me!!! Bit further on, a 4x4 tries to push in front of me from a side road clearly marked left turn only but wanted to turn right. Driving standards, what driving standards? 

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from St Albans town centre, a journey of about 1 mile. First set of lights I come to, woman turning right on a no right turn blocks road despite several cars hooting, lights missed. Next junction, I'm turning left into a one way street, car comes towards me!!! Bit further on, a 4x4 tries to push in front of me from a side road clearly marked left turn only but wanted to turn right. Driving standards, what driving standards? 

Been there - more than once.  And always amusing when the other driver tries to say that actually, I'm the one in the wrong and if I don't move he'll call the police.  Because yes, regular every-ten-minutes bus routes are often routed the wrong way down one way streets.  

Had a bit of a fail of my own today.  Got out of work late, after 1530, still not having had lunch, so off to the supermarket to get supplies, then the petrol station, which went something like this:

- Get out, push fuel flap to open it.

- Nothing happens.  Oops, silly me, forgot to release it.

- Go to get back inside to pull the little tab next to the driver's seat

- Realise that my car doesn't have a release on the inside for the fuel flap

- Go and try again

- Ask myself, am I sure that I just push it, and there's no release on the inside?  I've only owned it for 7 years after all.

- Push, poke and proddle fuel flap whilst looking confused

- Give in and head to the nearest Peugeot dealership...

Been there - more than once.  And always amusing when the other driver tries to say that actually, I'm the one in the wrong and if I don't move he'll call the police.  Because yes, regular every-ten-minutes bus routes are often routed the wrong way down one way streets.  

Had a bit of a fail of my own today.  Got out of work late, after 1530, still not having had lunch, so off to the supermarket to get supplies, then the petrol station, which went something like this:

- Get out, push fuel flap to open it.

- Nothing happens.  Oops, silly me, forgot to release it.

- Go to get back inside to pull the little tab next to the driver's seat

- Realise that my car doesn't have a release on the inside for the fuel flap

- Go and try again

- Ask myself, am I sure that I just push it, and there's no release on the inside?  I've only owned it for 7 years after all.

- Push, poke and proddle fuel flap whilst looking confused

- Give in and head to the nearest Peugeot dealership...

Is it one of those which unlocks with the central locking?

I have seen several people get out out of their car, blip the key fob to lock the car and wonder why the filler cap wont open!

• RMweb Premium

Is it one of those which unlocks with the central locking?

I have seen several people get out out of their car, blip the key fob to lock the car and wonder why the filler cap wont open!

It is, but no amount of blipping was going to get it to open this time!  To be fair, Peugeot did get someone to have a look straight away and offered me a coffee while I waited, but were unable to get it to open so gave me the option of taking it away with no charge or leave it with them for a proper inspection/dismantling from the inside (an hour's labour: £108...) and were able to give me a courtesy car to keep me on the road (I need a car for work!) while they sort it, so all credit to them for stepping up and getting on to it at such short notice.

It is, but no amount of blipping was going to get it to open this time!  To be fair, Peugeot did get someone to have a look straight away and offered me a coffee while I waited, but were unable to get it to open so gave me the option of taking it away with no charge or leave it with them for a proper inspection/dismantling from the inside (an hour's labour: £108...) and were able to give me a courtesy car to keep me on the road (I need a car for work!) while they sort it, so all credit to them for stepping up and getting on to it at such short notice.

• Like 2

Sounds like St.Albans alright. I avoid the entire town nowadays.

• Like 1