The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

It is noticeable how much the traffic reduces during school holidays, And I travel to work at approximately 06:00 to 06:30 !!

I also live out in the countryside, and the traffic changes from there all the way into Norwich..

• RMweb Premium

In Melbourne we have a 16 year old learner, who has been caught driving a self modified fake Emergency vehicle truck.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/teenage-boy-arrested-for-allegedly-driving-fake-emergency-services-truck-20171017-gz2q2r.html

I see that its estimated to have cost him AUS$10,000* for the truck and equipment. Perhaps the police will confiscate it and use it themselves. *Not sure how much in £ Sterling.

I see that its estimated to have cost him AUS$10,000* for the truck and equipment. Perhaps the police will confiscate it and use it themselves. *Not sure how much in £ Sterling.

Sounds like someone who had maybe a little too much time on his hands and a lot of cash burning a hole in his pocket. Other than the strobing LED light bars and searchlights, there didn't seem to be any other markings that denoted an attempt to look like an emergency service vehicle. Possibly he ran out of money to do the decals / vinyl emblems, etc!

Did his parents know or care? Having said that, it could have been worse; he could have been developing a drugs habit and posing a different sort of danger to himself and others.

• RMweb Premium

It is noticeable how much the traffic reduces during school holidays, And I travel to work at approximately 06:00 to 06:30 !!

I also live out in the countryside, and the traffic changes from there all the way into Norwich..

While some of that is probably due to more people taking time off work to go on holiday with their families, I think in general the school run is largely to blame.

• RMweb Premium

In my area, the local roads are so much quieter during religious holidays....

In Australia, we have a 'Tradies Day', where the large construction sites have a standard monthly Rostered Day Off. It certainly makes a significant difference to the traffic flows. Not sure what percentage actually get this day is, but it shows what roads are built for! It should also be noted that this IS NOT a paid holiday, but one 'earned' by working an extra 20-30 minutes per working day, the rest of the month.

The next one is due for the 6th November, oddly enough the Monday before Cup Day, 7th November a horse race in Melbourne.Now how did that come about, a 4 day weekend?

• RMweb Premium

It actually quotes $100,000, so out by a factor of 10. So talking 60,000 pounds, roughly. But that part of Melbourne has some VERY wealthy people.

But I'm not sure about that, as photo quality not that good. It looks like it could be a fire service truck, so perhaps repainted from red?

I dislike driving these days, due to all the idiots who now take to the roads; whereas I used to enjoy driving decades ago. 

My theory is that part of the deterioration in driving standards can be blamed on the sudden upsurge in leased private vehicles. I gather that over 60% of all new cars are now ended on a no deposit monthly payment basis. If the potential leasee can afford the monthly payments they can drive whatever car takes their fancy rather than being restricted by a large up front lump sum (or expensive bank loan).

Maybe this is the reason for the sudden increase in Audis, Mercedes and BMWs on the road these days (at least that is my perception)? 

After maybe driving nothing bigger than a Ford Focus, suddenly the driver is behind the wheel of a much more powerful vehicle; and the drop in standards is down to believing they can get away with maniac overtaking, cutting people up, tailgating, etc., because the "pleb" in the Ford Focus in front is not going fast enough for them now?

Echo's of a certain UK individual who gave his name as Mr Whelan (Whelan make emergency vehicle light bars) when pulled over on one of those Police Camera Action Crash documentaries. Apparently he's something of a Walter Mitty pest to the NHS.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/obsessed-fantasist-given-restraining-order-after-bid-to-steal-las-papers-a3406326.html

Police Interceptors, that was it.

Edited by Baby Deltic

I dislike driving these days, due to all the idiots who now take to the roads; whereas I used to enjoy driving decades ago. 

My theory is that part of the deterioration in driving standards can be blamed on the sudden upsurge in leased private vehicles. I gather that over 60% of all new cars are now ended on a no deposit monthly payment basis. If the potential leasee can afford the monthly payments they can drive whatever car takes their fancy rather than being restricted by a large up front lump sum (or expensive bank loan).

Maybe this is the reason for the sudden increase in Audis, Mercedes and BMWs on the road these days (at least that is my perception)? 

I read that some of the new car growth was partly a legacy of successful PPI compensation claims......

• RMweb Premium

After maybe driving nothing bigger than a Ford Focus, suddenly the driver is behind the wheel of a much more powerful vehicle; and the drop in standards is down to believing they can get away with maniac overtaking, cutting people up, tailgating, etc., because the "pleb" in the Ford Focus in front is not going fast enough for them now?

Possibly, in part.

However, there is a definite (in my view) increasingly selfish disregard for those around us. Whether it is the way people drive, throw away litter, block the supermarket aisles, don't say thank you when you make way for them, etc. people are increasingly inconsiderate of others.

• RMweb Gold

Possibly, in part.

However, there is a definite (in my view) increasingly selfish disregard for those around us. Whether it is the way people drive, throw away litter, block the supermarket aisles, don't say thank you when you make way for them, etc. people are increasingly inconsiderate of others.

I'd agree with this as being the reason. 

At present I'm converting a shop to residential and it's on the main walking route from the station into town. As people walk by we always say hello or at least acknowledge they are there but we get nothing in response,  they either just ignore us or are so wrapped up in their smartphone/ipod they just don't see anyone or thing.  Yesterday I was up a ladder with cones around it and it was an eyeopener how many just walked straight through either not seeing it, or ignoring it as it inconvenienced them.

Put that behaviour behind the wheel of something with a bit of 'go' and you have a typical selfish driver.

I read that some of the new car growth was partly a legacy of successful PPI compensation claims......

I've had a few of those so cough up handsomely so far. Currently I'm waiting to find out if I have hit a major gold seam with another PPI claim which is still at the decision stage. I'm getting to like this PPI malarky.

• RMweb Premium

Ah ....    so all the lawyers are getting new cars.....

rather amused today chugging along Deansgate in the truck stop at a red light and am over taken at speed by a cyclist who is riding with his hands behind his head and a smug grin on his face this soon vanished when the hgv coming the other way gave it full blast on his airhorns making said cyclist jump out of his skin loose control and take a tumble  = karma  

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Read something interesting recently.

Occupation most likely to get ticketed from driving in bus lanes.

Off duty bus drivers.

And guess what?

The bus driver who told me got flashed yesterday.

He forgot he was not in his bus

• RMweb Premium

And guess what?

The bus driver who told me got flashed yesterday.

He forgot he was not in his bus

Any bus driver reading this will be nodding in agreement, and then thinking about the number of similar stories he has heard (but never done himself of course) like following a bus route in his car because he's on "autopilot", or seeing someone at a bus stop and starting to pull over when he's on his way home...

Any bus driver reading this will be nodding in agreement, and then thinking about the number of similar stories he has heard (but never done himself of course) like following a bus route in his car because he's on "autopilot", or seeing someone at a bus stop and starting to pull over when he's on his way home...

Yep, I have done both of them in the past!

• Like 1