The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

It's also instructive to watch a few crash tests of vehicles with a good, heavy load in the boot or, perhaps more frightening, of light (and not so light) trucks, also with a load on board. The results in the former case are often very different from the basically unladen tests by ANCAP et al.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 1

It's been mentioned before that doing the test in reverse would be a good idea to simulate a rear end collision, especially with tiny cars with little or no boot - afterall, where do you put your treasured models ?  or kids (back seat a foot or too from the back) ?

• RMweb Premium

I believe they do rear end collision tests, it's one of the reasons the fuel tanks have moved from under the floor, at the very back of the car, to over or immediately behind the rear axle.

It's also instructive to watch a few crash tests of vehicles with a good, heavy load in the boot or, perhaps more frightening, of light (and not so light) trucks, also with a load on board. The results in the former case are often very different from the basically unladen tests by ANCAP et al.

I've seen a crash test of an eight wheel tanker fully filled with water that resulted in nothing remaining of the cab. I've also seen an old Ford Cargo 7'5 tonner laden with sand crash tested into one of those heavy duty retracting bollards, and all the sand exited the vehicle at speed through the remains of the cab. Certainly neither vehicles would have been ones I would have wanted to have been sat in the driver's seat.

It's been mentioned before that doing the test in reverse would be a good idea to simulate a rear end collision, especially with tiny cars with little or no boot - afterall, where do you put your treasured models ?  or kids (back seat a foot or too from the back) ?

From experience a Fiat Panda suffers little crumpling at the back. All the energy goes into the attacking car's front crumple zone.

The shut lines on the offside rear door ended up really small but there wasn't a huge amount of visible damage. The spare wheel well ruptured I think due to being hit by the suspension turret of the other car.

However I did eventually replace the car with one that had head restraints in the rear.

• RMweb Premium

I thought the best part of that was the Operation Lifesaver Cross Tracks Safely caboose, maybe it should have been in front of the engine?

MIke.

The behaviour would make some sense if trains are required to come to a stop before the crossing and the drivers know that.

• RMweb Premium

The behaviour would make some sense if trains are required to come to a stop before the crossing and the drivers know that.

But that's not the case here. The warning bells are ringing which means that you should wait until the train passes.

• RMweb Premium

This video clip is doing the rounds down under. What was the mini bus driver thinking? Congratulations for the fast reaction of the truck driver, although who is going to pay for a new set of tyres?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-02/school-bus-merge-causes-truck-crash-highway-chaos/8583746

This video clip is doing the rounds down under. What was the mini bus driver thinking? Congratulations for the fast reaction of the truck driver, although who is going to pay for a new set of tyres?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-02/school-bus-merge-causes-truck-crash-highway-chaos/8583746

Not just tyres either. Imagine the cost of replacement underwear for all of those involved?

• RMweb Premium

I wonder what research has been done on the effects of touch screen infotainment on road safety? My wife's Golf has a touch screen and I find using it hugely distracting. Luckuly you can change radio stations, control volume etc using the steering wheel controls but I think the command dial type system used by companies like BMW and Mercedes is far less distracting.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what research has been done on the effects of touch screen infotainment on road safety? My wife's Golf has a touch screen and I find using it hugely distracting. Luckuly you can change radio stations, control volume etc using the steering wheel controls but I think the command dial type system used by companies like BMW and Mercedes is far less distracting.

Personally, I would have thought the touch screen jobbies are more distracting than a mobile phone, yet you get a fine and points for using one of those.

Who type approved a virtual television set in front of the driver, I thought they were illegal?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Personally, I would have thought the touch screen jobbies are more distracting than a mobile phone, yet you get a fine and points for using one of those.

Who type approved a virtual television set in front of the driver, I thought they were illegal?

Mike.

This comes under the Construction and use regulations 1986 as below  

.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

© to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer

Part a covers it, although I think the reference to Cathode ray tube is a bit out of date.

But I agree very distracting, especially when some cars have such a screen and some information is on the screen and some directly related info is on the dash next to the speedo, 

Andy

• RMweb Premium

For me it isn't the idea of displaying information on a screen which is distracting, I don't find that to be a problem. What I don't like is the touchscreen interface to control car functions. The small size of some of the icons and lack of tactile feedback means you have to concentrate on using the touchsceen in a way you don't if using conventional buttons and dials or even a rotary command input dial.

• RMweb Premium

Yes I think TV in this context was meant to mean "large screen", rather than something which receives a signal. My VW system can play DVDs, but not while the car is moving (or the engine is on, I forget, I've never tried).

I do agree that they can be distracting, although I think standalone sat navs can be worse, there should be significant fines for being with the brightness turned up in the dark and/or right in their field of vision.

I suspect we'll see a rise in 'gesture control' (as VW have introduced on the newest Golf iteration) or voice activation, to mitigate having to poke at virtual buttons on a screen with no tactile feedback. .

Edited by njee20

I do agree that they can be distracting, although I think standalone sat navs can be worse, there should be significant fines for being with the brightness turned up in the dark and/or right in their field of vision. 

they all ready are you can be fined for having anything (satnav airfreshener carparkpass ) within the area swept by the wipers its also an MOT failure 

• RMweb Premium

This comes under the Construction and use regulations 1986 as below  

.—(1) No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle on a road, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information—

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

© to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation “television receiving apparatus” means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer

Part a covers it, although I think the reference to Cathode ray tube is a bit out of date.

But I agree very distracting, especially when some cars have such a screen and some information is on the screen and some directly related info is on the dash next to the speedo, 

Andy

Hi

Looking at the screen next to the speedo is no more distracting than looking at the speedo.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Yes I think TV in this context was meant to mean "large screen", rather than something which receives a signal. My VW system can play DVDs, but not while the car is moving (or the engine is on, I forget, I've never tried).

I suspect we'll see a rise in 'gesture control' (as VW have introduced on the newest Golf iteration) or voice activation, to mitigate having to poke at virtual buttons on a screen with no tactile feedback. .

Hi

The annoying thing about voice control in my car for selecting a destination is that the final stage requires you to select ok on the touch screen which defeats the hands off approach.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

But that's not the case here. The warning bells are ringing which means that you should wait until the train passes.

Actually, there are no warning bells or lights at that crossing. The ringing you hear is the loco's bell. I expect that travelling slowly enough to be able to stop is normal procedure on that line as it seems to be quite a busy intersection/crossing combination.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Looking at the screen next to the speedo is no more distracting than looking at the speedo.

Cheers

Paul

In most, if not all, cars the speedometer should be within the peripheral vision of a driver with satisfactory eyesight, sitting in a comfortable driving position, the centre console not necessarily so. In my car, I can see the speedometer and dials without taking my eyes off the road, I have to glance to the left to see the screen clearly.

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

In most, if not all, cars the speedometer should be within the peripheral vision of a driver with satisfactory eyesight, sitting in a comfortable driving position, the centre console not necessarily so. In my car, I can see the speedometer and dials without taking my eyes off the road, I have to glance to the left to see the screen clearly.

Mike.

Hi

I have a driver information screen between the dials on my car and it was that I was referring to. The touch screen in the centre of the car I agree is more of a distraction.

Cheers

Paul