The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

The idiots who you talk about who don't let you in when you've overtaken them... as it says.

Completely different statement to the taxation.

Edited by njee20

The idiots who you talk about who don't let you in when you've overtaken them... as it says.

Completely different statement to the taxation.

Please accept my apologies for having misread you post. I will take back what I said in the previous post to that. I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments about those types of idiots.

The question is, what actually constitutes​ undertaking. Does it mean a vehicle in the same lane as you changing lanes, passing on the inside and moving out again or does it apply to someone in another lane passing you to the left and pulling in front, or simply passing on the left and staying in lane. My guess would be that it is to pass you and gain advantage or position in your lane. What's the scoop?

I don't think a lane change needs to be involved. Simply passing on the left hand side, unless traffic to the right is stationary/queuing.

That's what I thought but having been watching Police Action Camera Crash, or whatever it's called they seem to wait for the offending vehicle to pull back across before going after it. Maybe it's to get irrefutable video evidence that it was a definite and deliberate move before they pounce.

I come across these total ar$eholes a lot. They deliberately shut you out like its sour grapes that you passed them. Technically I would class it as deliberate undertaking which I'm sure Mr Plod would take an interest in if he saw it occur. The other favourite is the driver who suddenly pulls out into your lane causing you to have to slow down rapidly, passes the obstruction at 50 - 60 MPH then speeds up to 70MPH as soon as they move back into the other lane, so you can't pass safely and get back in. Then there are the ungrateful ar$eholes where you change lanes to let them enter off a slip road and they speed up shutting you on the outside. You then get the tailgating to$$ers catching you up and trying to pressure you to speed up so you can pass them and get back in. My favoutite course of action in this scenario is to stay put and maintain speed until an obstruction comes up in their lane then adjust speed accordingly so they end up having to slow down and back off. I dispise undertaking and I will always try and stop people doing it to me. If you are going to made to speed up against your will, you might aswell choose your moment carefully to cause the desired effect and inconvenience the moron causing the problem.

members of the HGV driving comunity know this one only to well ploughing along with the cruisecontrol set just under the limiter 53/4 mph in the inside lane infront of you is mr fuel saver pottering along at 50mph you out to overtake and vum they suddnly accekerate away leaving you out in lane two or worse they accelerate a d run parellel leaving you stuck out in lane 2 bloody annoying

members of the HGV driving comunity know this one only to well ploughing along with the cruisecontrol set just under the limiter 53/4 mph in the inside lane infront of you is mr fuel saver pottering along at 50mph you out to overtake and vum they suddnly accekerate away leaving you out in lane two or worse they accelerate a d run parellel leaving you stuck out in lane 2 bloody annoying

Best thing for an HGVd do is indicate left and sound your horn for a few seconds to let them know you want to move back in and they are obstructing you.

• RMweb Premium

Back on topic away from eth taxation debate.

Will this improve the standards of new drivers?

The driving test in England, Scotland and Wales will change from Monday 4 December 2017.

The changes are designed to make sure new drivers have the skills they’ll need to help them through a lifetime of safe driving.

The 4 main changes to the test are:

• the independent driving part of the test will increase to 20 minutes
  • most candidates will be asked to follow directions from a sat nav
  • the reversing manoeuvres will be changed
  • answering a vehicle safety question while you’re driving.

Personally, I think the sat nav bit is mostly irrelevant, as the examiners already issue a "satnav" style of directional information anyway.

Although I bet that once the routes are established that are used for sat-nav, there'll be a glut of L-plated cars learning it by rote - in much the same way when the routes used to be readily available. I had one pupil that must have spent 20-30 hours with their parents following the published routes.

The plan is to drop the "reverse around a corner to the left". Although the current test exercise bears little or no resemblance to "real-life" reversing around a corner, it does provide new drivers with skills that are transferable into proper reverse situations, such as the rare occurrences when reversing on a narrow road is required.

I like the "answer a question whilst driving" as it will make them understand about distractions whilst driving, although I bet it isn't carried out in the middle of a five-exit roundabout underneath motorway.

My favourite distraction for my learners pupils was to start playing with the radio/music player and watch them subconsciously speed up when a loud/fast track was played.

Full details here.

You should live in South Australia.........it seems every other driver thinks that's how to drive :scratchhead:

Mike

WA too. It doesn't seem to be deliberately malicious in most cased. More a result of the appearance of the overtaking vehicle causing the overtaken driver to wake up momentarily.

Overtaking on the inside on a multi lane road is legal here and is quite handy if done with appropriate caution.

• Like 1

Back on topic away from eth taxation debate.

Will this improve the standards of new drivers?

The driving test in England, Scotland and Wales will change from Monday 4 December 2017.

The changes are designed to make sure new drivers have the skills they’ll need to help them through a lifetime of safe driving.

The 4 main changes to the test are:

• the independent driving part of the test will increase to 20 minutes
  • most candidates will be asked to follow directions from a sat nav
  • the reversing manoeuvres will be changed
  • answering a vehicle safety question while you’re driving.

Personally, I think the sat nav bit is mostly irrelevant, as the examiners already issue a "satnav" style of directional information anyway.

Although I bet that once the routes are established that are used for sat-nav, there'll be a glut of L-plated cars learning it by rote - in much the same way when the routes used to be readily available. I had one pupil that must have spent 20-30 hours with their parents following the published routes.

The plan is to drop the "reverse around a corner to the left". Although the current test exercise bears little or no resemblance to "real-life" reversing around a corner, it does provide new drivers with skills that are transferable into proper reverse situations, such as the rare occurrences when reversing on a narrow road is required.

I like the "answer a question whilst driving" as it will make them understand about distractions whilst driving, although I bet it isn't carried out in the middle of a five-exit roundabout underneath motorway.

My favourite distraction for my learners pupils was to start playing with the radio/music player and watch them subconsciously speed up when a loud/fast track was played.

Full details here.

I decided that I shouldn't wear my iPod on the bike when I found that a Motorhead based playlist knocked 10mpg off my fuel consumption figure and resulted in my tyres getting frazzled all the way to the edges. On predominantly straight roads :O.

• RMweb Premium

It's got to help. They should get the students to fit a windscreen mounted sat nav at the start, with instant fail if it's anywhere in their line of sight. The number of people who have it right in front of them or in the middle of the windscreen is shocking.

My favourite distraction for my learners pupils was to start playing with the radio/music player and watch them subconsciously speed up when a loud/fast track was played.

Yes. many a time I have wished I could take control of the car radio in front and set it to the William Tell Overture...

I decided that I shouldn't wear my iPod on the bike when I found that a Motorhead based playlist knocked 10mpg off my fuel consumption figure and resulted in my tyres getting frazzled all the way to the edges. On predominantly straight roads :O.

Headphones (and ear-pieces) really should not be used when driving. A study was done by Anne Minors of AMPC (actually regarding a subject other than driving - but the results are applicable), which was done using eye-tracking technology, which showed that when people were listening to sounds via headphones, they ceased to look or scan to the same extremities as when listening via conventional speakers. I.e., their field of view was reduced in all directions by either 15 or 25% (to my shame, I can't remember which). Effectively, as soon as you put headphones on, you put blinkers on. Of course driving or riding is on of the few occupations where this matters.

It was a fascinating study, that yielded unexpected results.

• RMweb Premium

Next people will no doubt be telling me I shouldn't be using my E-reader, devices and lap top when driving, well tell me this, how am I supposed to do E-mails and read posts on RMWeb when I'm driving or read a book if I can't use these devices?

• RMweb Gold

Next people will no doubt be telling me I shouldn't be using my E-reader, devices and lap top when driving, well tell me this, how am I supposed to do E-mails and read posts on RMWeb when I'm driving or read a book if I can't use these devices?

The sad thing is that while queuing in traffic about a year ago I sat in the truck looking down on a car with a holder for a Kindle and watched as the driver flicked through the pages. We also watch from the house while drivers use laptops/read newspapers/use hair straighteners etc as they queue for the A1 in the morning.....

A friend in the USA has just sent me this email. Same thing applies over here, except I thought, not being great at the geography of certain regions, that Burma shave was something to do with a Brazilian.

>

> A man, a miss,

> A car a curve.

> He kissed the miss,

> And missed the curve.

>

> I'm sure that Burma Shave actually saved some lives. People laughed and then were more careful! It was a REAL "service" to America, even though it was an advertisement and it was one of the RARE "really useful" ones!

>

>

> To My Old-As-Dirt Friends and Relatives who qualify as "old as dirt."

>

>

>

> For those who never saw any of the Burma Shave signs, here is a quick lesson in our history of the 1930's and '40's.

>

>

>

> Before there were interstates, when everyone drove the old 2-lane roads, Burma Shave signs would be posted all over the countryside in farmers' fields. They were small red signs with white letters. Five signs, about 100 feet apart, each containing 1 line of a 4-line couplet and the obligatory 5th sign advertising Burma Shave, a popular shaving cream.

>

>

> DON'T STICK YOUR ELBOW

> OUT SO FAR

> IT MAY GO HOME

> IN ANOTHER CAR. Burma Shave

>

>

> TRAINS DON'T WANDER

> ALL OVER THE MAP

> 'CAUSE NOBODY SITS

> IN THE ENGINEER'S LAP. Burma Shave

>

>

> SHE KISSED THE HAIRBRUSH

> BY MISTAKE

> SHE THOUGHT IT WAS

> HER HUSBAND JAKE. Burma Shave

>

>

> DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD

> TO GAIN A MINUTE

> YOU NEED YOUR HEAD

> YOUR BRAINS ARE IN IT. Burma Shave

>

>

> DROVE TOO LONG

> DRIVER SNOOZING

> WHAT HAPPENED NEXT

> IS NOT AMUSING. Burma Shave

>

>

> BROTHER SPEEDER

> LET'S REHEARSE

> ALL TOGETHER

> GOOD MORNING, NURSE. Burma Shave

>

>

> CAUTIOUS RIDER

> TO HER RECKLESS DEAR

> LET'S HAVE LESS BULL

> AND A LITTLE MORE STEER. Burma Shave

>

>

> SPEED WAS HIGH

> WEATHER WAS NOT

> TIRES WERE THIN

> X MARKS THE SPOT. Burma Shave

>

>

> THE MIDNIGHT RIDE

> OF PAUL FOR BEER

> LED TO A WARMER

> HEMISPHERE. Burma Shave

>

>

> AROUND THE CURVE

> LICKETY-SPLIT

> BEAUTIFUL CAR

> WASN'T IT? Burma Shave

>

>

> NO MATTER THE PRICE

> NO MATTER HOW NEW

> THE BEST SAFETY DEVICE

> IN THE CAR IS YOU. Burma Shave

>

>

> A GUY WHO DRIVES

> A CAR WIDE OPEN

> IS NOT THINKIN'

> HE'S JUST HOPIN' Burma Shave

>

>

> AT INTERSECTIONS

> LOOK EACH WAY

> A HARP SOUNDS NICE

> BUT IT'S HARD TO PLAY. Burma Shave

>

>

> BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL

> EYES ON THE ROAD

> THAT'S THE SKILLFUL

> DRIVER'S CODE. Burma Shave

>

>

> THE ONE WHO DRIVES

> WHEN HE'S BEEN DRINKING

> DEPENDS ON YOU

> TO DO HIS THINKING. Burma Shave

>

>

> CAR IN DITCH

> DRIVER IN TREE

> THE MOON WAS FULL

> AND SO WAS HE. Burma Shave

>

>

> PASSING SCHOOL ZONE

> TAKE IT SLOW

> LET OUR LITTLE

> SHAVERS GROW. Burma Shave

>

>

> Do these bring back any old memories? If not, you're merely a child.

>

> If they do - then you're old as dirt. LIKE ME! I loved reading them.

>

> Have a great day!

• Like 3

Headphones (and ear-pieces) really should not be used when driving. A study was done by Anne Minors of AMPC (actually regarding a subject other than driving - but the results are applicable), which was done using eye-tracking technology, which showed that when people were listening to sounds via headphones, they ceased to look or scan to the same extremities as when listening via conventional speakers. I.e., their field of view was reduced in all directions by either 15 or 25% (to my shame, I can't remember which). Effectively, as soon as you put headphones on, you put blinkers on. Of course driving or riding is on of the few occupations where this matters.

It was a fascinating study, that yielded unexpected results.

Agree completely. Contrary to my somewhat tongue in cheek earlier post, I tried headphones on the bike a couple of times and rejected them primarily because I didn't feel myself to be as situationally aware as I was without them. As a result such a finding doesn't surprise me at all.

• Like 1

does the same apply to crash helmets ?

edit 17/4 1.30pm   Sorry, hope no one thought I was suggesting that you shouldn't wear a crash helmet on a motor bike.  

I teach children to sail & if their parents want them to wear a helmet, I always make sure that it is a type which does not cover the ears - so they can hear other boats, the wind &                                   instructions.  They also have drainage slots so they don't get a helmetful of water.  

Edited by duncan

Crash helmets could of course have some effect of their own - but wearing ear-pods inside crash helmets, and either listening to music or similar certainly does..... and you'll never catch me at it!

• Like 1

Having once been very interested in the minutiae of helmet use and helmet laws I've seen studies suggesting so, but then I've also seen studies suggesting the opposite (though it was 25 years ago, so don't expect references :)). From personal experience, and anecdotally, I think crash helmets are a rather different matter from earpieces. I know I don't find them to have a distracting effect unless they're so badly fitting or otherwise unsuitable as to be excruciatingly uncomfortable.

• RMweb Premium

I've been spending quite a bit of time in Houston which I love (great Tex-Mex food, sun, Texan charm and more) but it always horrifies me to see how mobile phone use is so common there.

• RMweb Premium

The only difference wearing a crash helmet is that sound is somewhat reduced. This can be a good thing.

You aren't trying to listen to something else that would be distracting.  Modern helmets also don't restrict the field of vision.