The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

Well technically , if you went straight on you would end up in the wall of the houses

opposite , but to reach the road you want you have to go to the right around the center

marking . It's not a straightacrossabout as to many people seem to use them as .

The roundabout is there to indicate traffic priority from what would have been a junction. It was but is not now a right turn.

I was taught that as you approach a roundabout those on your right have priority and you have to assume that all are going across your path. 

• RMweb Premium

It was but is not now a right turn.

But it doesn't have to be a straight on just because it's now a mini roundabout. I would say if it was a right turn (as you are saying), it is still a right turn. If it used to be straight on it is still straight on. The direction doesn't become reclassified simply because they've stuck a mini roundabout in.

I can't find any guidance on when it officially becomes a right turn.

• RMweb Premium

But it doesn't have to be a straight on just because it's now a mini roundabout. I would say if it was a right turn (as you are saying), it is still a right turn. If it used to be straight on it is still straight on. The direction doesn't become reclassified simply because they've stuck a mini roundabout in.

I can't find any guidance on when it officially becomes a right turn.

Hi

I was always taught that any exit on a roundabout after the twelve o'clock position is a right turn.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I would say if it was a right turn (as you are saying), it is still a right turn. If it used to be straight on it is still straight on. The direction doesn't become reclassified simply because they've stuck a mini roundabout in.

Thats true, but the mini roundaout changes the traffic priority.

Before, if it was a right turn junction those waiting to pull in or out had to defer to the road (in this case the A4) which had priority. Now the priority is given to traffic approaching on the right.

• RMweb Premium

Here's another example of an "unusual" roundabout. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6219306,0.4183862,3a,75y,323.58h,85.06t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_3-Xykwgk0JLGpp-HXcDWQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_3-Xykwgk0JLGpp-HXcDWQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D63.065296%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The left exit goes into a one way system and the right into two way. There's no signage to indicate that the left exit is one way UNTIL you are in it. The safest way seems, if turning left and going right at the next roundabout, is to keep right and then left. That's fine for us locals, but strangers find they are in the wrong lane after taking the left exit.

A lot of this is highways inventing something non-standard, to fit the location, and then trying to make it work. Most of the confusion could be averted by decent signage in advance of the junction. There's either too little or too much, and don't get me started on worn/non-existant road markings. :butcher:

Rob

Edited by mezzoman253

• RMweb Premium

Here's another example of an "unusual" roundabout. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6219306,0.4183862,3a,75y,323.58h,85.06t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_3-Xykwgk0JLGpp-HXcDWQ!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo2.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3D_3-Xykwgk0JLGpp-HXcDWQ%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D63.065296%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

The left exit goes into a one way system and the right into two way. There's no signage to indicate that the left exit is one way UNTIL you are in it. The safest way seems, if turning left and going right at the next roundabout, is to keep right and then left. That's fine for us locals, but strangers find they are in the wrong lane after taking the left exit.

A lot of this is highways inventing something non-standard, to fit the location, and then trying to make it work. Most of the confusion could be averted by decent signage in advance of the junction. There's either too little or too much, and don't get me started on worn/non-existant road markings. :butcher:

Rob

I am well aware of that junction, not as bad as the double roundabout in Brentwood town centre which I try to avoid most times.

• RMweb Premium

I am well aware of that junction, not as bad as the double roundabout in Brentwood town centre which I try to avoid most times.

Agreed. then there's the offset double mini's in Colchester, plus the one's were you have small 4 way crossroads all at 90 degrees and they plonk a cow pat down and say get on with it!

Rob

Before, if it was a right turn junction those waiting to pull in or out had to defer to the road (in this case the A4) which had priority. Now the priority is given to traffic approaching on the right.

To add some more confusion, to the right is a stone-pillared gateway. Every now and again someone will banzai out of there straight at you because, hey they're coming from the right and have priority even though it's not really part of the roundabout, you can't see them coming and they are coming off a dropped kerb over a pavement.

• RMweb Premium

The law as I understand it for priority at roundabouts is "First in best dressed".  While in practice this means one must almost invariably give way to the right there are some situations and some roundabouts where one may enter ahead of a vehicle approaching from the right.  Skill and judgement might be needed to assess - whilst on the move - who will be first to arrive at the entry point.  

I signal for a roundabout I know according to where I intend to exit.  For a simple "crossroads" with exits (using the clockface model) at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock it is left for first exit (6-9 o'clock), no entry signal then left after first exit to take second exit (6-12 o'clock), right on entry and past first two exits then left to leave at the third exit (6 to 3 o'clock).  And if I wish to make a U-turn (6 to 6 o'clock) then I signal right past all three other exits then left before leaving by my entry route.

In places I don't know I will follow signs and road markings in case the exit isn't obvious or standard such as places where most traffic takes a first or third exit and doesn't bother signalling.  With more than four entry / exit points greater care must be taken but the same ground rules apply.

I learned to drive 42 years ago.  I also passed a D-licence test 30 years ago.  On all tests (two were required for each licence) and throughout all training the roundabout approach and signalling was the same as described in the Highway Code. 

I know nothing of this signalling right to go straight on malarky.  Unless it is in a location where "straight on" is actually a slight turn to the right.  Such as, using the clockface again, entering at 6 and exiting at 2 rather than 12.

• RMweb Gold

I indicate right to go straight on at this roundabout (like the white van is doing)

This is because 99% of the traffic goes left so people just assume you're going left.

Even with the right indicator on people often womble across in front of you.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4174368,-1.734869,3a,27.4y,113.94h,84.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCZGxaM5RjXhS1nRbumbNyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Which road is the priority route?, that should clear things up a little.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold

Which road is the priority route?, that should clear things up a little.

Mike.

The road going to the left is the A4 which is the continuation of the original route. But this should make no difference as the roundabout has changed the traffic priorities, so a vehicle coming from the minor road on the right has priority over one on the A4 

I indicate right to go straight on at this roundabout (like the white van is doing)

This is because 99% of the traffic goes left so people just assume you're going left.

Even with the right indicator on people often womble across in front of you.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4174368,-1.734869,3a,27.4y,113.94h,84.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCZGxaM5RjXhS1nRbumbNyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

For that reason I use hand signals as well as indicators if I intend to do a U turn on a 'T' junction mini roundabout. Motorists often assume that a right signal means you are going straight over and might pull out from the opposite side, so I always stick my right arm out and go dead slow and turn wide. The same thinfg applies to 'Y' junction mini roundabouts where a car on the right might pul out just as you are swinging round to go back on yourself.

• RMweb Premium

You're not allowed to do a u-turn on a mini roundabout IIRC, so it's a bit moot what signalling you use.

You are allowed - but:

The highway code has this wording

Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.

I'm sure that headlights are also an optional extra on many cars!

I disagree there. Too many lights on cars nowadays, no-one knows when to switch them off and to only use them when necessary.

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

I disagree there. Too many lights on cars nowadays, no-one knows when to switch them off and to only use them when necessary.

Stewart

It seems to be more a case of inappropriate use from my observations - some people drive along in overcast rainy weather with no lights on at all, then Nissan Juke owners with all 6 lights on in near broad daylight.

• RMweb Gold

Stewart

Mine are automatic and can't be turned off, the settings are  sidelights, headlight, auto, parking left, parking right.  so in overcast weather they can come on.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You're not allowed to do a u-turn on a mini roundabout IIRC, so it's a bit moot what signalling you use.

You may do so unless there are signs to the contrary or the road layout prevents it.

Generally not advised because there isn't reliably enough space to make a U-turn without it becoming a three-point turn.  That's the last thing you need at a mini-roundabout / painted circle.  And while a Mini might get round in one a Chelsea Tractor may not but there has to be one rule for all.  Try to find another way.

Those little painted circles incidentally have exactly the same standing in law as a large fully constructed roundabout.  More than one motorist has found that out to their cost when caught by Plod for driving straight over them and thus failing to correctly navigate a roundabout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine are automatic and can't be turned off, the settings are  sidelights, headlight, auto, parking left, parking right.  so in overcast weather they can come on.

Daytime running lights are a curse in my opinion.  Those are the ones which cannot be turned off.  Once the ignition is on the front lights are on.  It is confusing to have roughly 20% of approaching cars with headlights on; is there a reason such as poor visibility or are they shown as a warning of some problem?  And surely they required a derogation of the law to even be permitted since one is normally not permitted to display lights by day except in poor visibility when they are mandatory.

While on the subject far too many drivers overlook the fact that "automatic" lights only operate at the front.  When it gets dark the lights are already on so far as the driver can see.  But the rear ones are not.  I have encountered a very large number of modern (DRL-fitted) vehicles driving a night with no reds-to-rear displayed.  Someone has forgotten to operate the switch.  Grrrrrr.

• RMweb Gold

While on the subject far too many drivers overlook the fact that "automatic" lights only operate at the front.  When it gets dark the lights are already on so far as the driver can see.  But the rear ones are not.  I have encountered a very large number of modern (DRL-fitted) vehicles driving a night with no reds-to-rear displayed.  Someone has forgotten to operate the switch.  Grrrrrr.

I've not heard or seen that, The one's on my car are front and rear. There is no 'off' setting, nor one for front/rear only.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've not heard or seen that, The one's on my car are front and rear. There is no 'off' setting, nor one for front/rear only.

The ones I have driven show front DRL lights with ignition on and have the usual switchable settings for main and dip which also turn on the reds.  But no way to turn off the front lights.

The ones I have driven show front DRL lights with ignition on and have the usual switchable settings for main and dip which also turn on the reds.  But no way to turn off the front lights.

iirc on vauxhalls there is a way of switching them off on the trip computer holding the button down for a set length of time and switching something else on brings the menu up and off you go as there is no legal requirement for them in this country 

• RMweb Gold

I drive a Golf on 62 plates. When I switch the ignition on, the front lights are on. In Auto, all lights come on when it gets a bit dark, and it doesn't need to be all that dark either. So I'm driving along with all lights on when those with a choice have no lights on. So far so good, I trust my automatic lights to be on when they need to be.

The thing that gets my goat is that some twonk decided that I need illumination when I go round corners, so the fog lights illuminate when I turn the wheel, no matter what speed I'm doing. So there I am going round a roundabout and the fog lights are illuminating in turn and if I was to see where they were illuminating, I would not be looking far enough ahead to be driving safely.

Why bother illuminating fog lights and calling them 'cornering lights' when you are travelling at anything greater than walking speed?

Bloody fog lights.......... don't get me started. 

• RMweb Premium

Surely that's wrong.  Fog lights are not allowed to be used except when driving in fog.  If they come on automatically when cornering .........