The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Not so many of those down here - it's mostly Toyota and Lexus hybrids. Minicab drivers particularly like the Prius, and a lot of them seem to have some sort of internal competition going as to who can drive the longest distance on battery power only. I thought I drove slowly, but Prius cab drivers seem to have it down to a fine art!

Now then Horse....you know my views on Toyotas, don't get me started!! (when you are following a Prepuce, try singing 'A grey old f*rt, in a white Toyota', to the tune of 'A white Sport coat etc.), it can help!

Cheers from West Oz, aka Land of the slow white Toyota.

Peter C.

If tacho records show a standard weekly rest break taken away from base, the enforcement officers are entitled to ask for hotel bills to show the rest was taken away from the vehicle, but in most cases the response is staying with friends or some such. Weekly rest breaks taken in the vehicle are rarely taken parked in truck parks or prominent locations, they're usually in factory yards or out of the way lay-bys where the occupants are unlikely to be challenged.

The resourcing of DVSA to pursue such practices is pretty thin and unlikely to change much in the future.

have you been on cawley services truck park on a weekend lately ? anything up to 20 trucks from one foreign company "weekending " on site  

• Like 1

have you been on cawley services truck park on a weekend lately ? anything up to 20 trucks from one foreign company "weekending " on site

Difficult to say if they're taking a reduced weekly (legally) or a standard (illegal) rest, and as I say, DVSA resources to check are pitifully meagre. Unless the Govt is willing to properly fund enforcement then it'll continue.

Difficult to say if they're taking a reduced weekly (legally) or a standard (illegal) rest, and as I say, DVSA resources to check are pitifully meagre. Unless the Govt is willing to properly fund enforcement then it'll continue.

I think the three of us know the answer to that question .

Corley and Keele are packed full ( north bound ) with that particular trucking company all week . They have a parking account with welcome break .

As far as DVSA is concerned - they work plenty of weekend shifts at the likes of Stafford so I see no reason why they can't ask . They are self funding as well so an ideal opportunity to ...........( the rest deleted )

Mike b

• RMweb Premium

Many continental countrys ban heavy lorries at weekends so many come over here at weekends were there is no such ban.

Many continental countrys ban heavy lorries at weekends so many come over here at weekends were there is no such ban.

I don't think they would waste spend thousands of pounds travelling to the uk to park !

The ban is on movement - not being in the country .

M b

Edited by Griffin Road

• RMweb Premium

I don't think they would waste spend thousands of pounds travelling to the uk to park !

The ban is on movement - not being in the country .

M b

Thats what I meant, they are not allowed to move on the continent so any deliveries to the UK are arranged for the weekend but while they are here they have to overnight Friday/Saturday.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid driverStupid SainsburysStupid cycle laneStupid cyclist for using stupid cycle lanehttp://road.cc/content/news/220506-thats-human-being-chris-boardman-slams-sainsburys-response-close-pass-video

Foolish cyclist for carrying on at speed and not slowing when the idiot truck driver passed too close. If he had been forced over more and clipped the kerb at that speed he would probably have been over the handlebars and straight under the wheels. Better to slow down so you can stop immediately than carry on pushing a bad position.

Cyclist!  Think bike.  Think idiot on bike.  If he is on the road he is oblivious of other road users.  If he is on the pavement  --  pedestrians beware.  Then the f************* idiot (and I am being polite), turns onto a pedestrian crossing with no signals nor notification to any road user.

Then there was the time a not so young lady (I am being polite again) took a bend on the right hand side of the road --  my side.  I think she had to wash her knickers later when she got home.

rant over.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Cyclist!  Think bike.  Think idiot on bike.  If he is on the road he is oblivious of other road users.  If he is on the pavement  --  pedestrians beware.  Then the f************* idiot (and I am being polite), turns onto a pedestrian crossing with no signals nor notification to any road user.

Then there was the time a not so young lady (I am being polite again) took a bend on the right hand side of the road --  my side.  I think she had to wash her knickers later when she got home.

rant over.

I sometimes wonder about the attitude some on the road have, if this is what they think about other road users.

The cyclist had the right to be there and the lorry driver should have shown a bit more consideration for him, the cyclist is a legitimate road user and did nothing wrong.

Read the highway code about overtaking.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder about the attitude some on the road have, if this is what they think about other road users.

The cyclist had the right to be there and the lorry driver should have shown a bit more consideration for him, the cyclist is a legitimate road user and did nothing wrong.

Read the highway code about overtaking.

Hi Dave.  I have no beef against a cyclist who rides his bike sensibly.  It is the ones who think they are beyond the law.  One minute they can be on the road, the next the pavement.  Then I have to anticipate if they are going to dash across the zebra crossing --  without looking.  If I hit the idiot I am at fault.

As for your comment about the lorry driver  --  sorry but I am at a loss as to what you mean.   The only comment I can say (as a former Transport Manager) everybody on the road should take more consideration of everyone else.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.  I have no beef against a cyclist who rides his bike sensibly.  It is the ones who think they are beyond the law.  One minute they can be on the road, the next the pavement.  Then I have to anticipate if they are going to dash across the zebra crossing --  without looking.  If I hit the idiot I am at fault.

As for your comment about the lorry driver  --  sorry but I am at a loss as to what you mean.   The only comment I can say (as a former Transport Manager) everybody on the road should take more consideration of everyone else.

Aaaaah I see, I thought you were responding to post #3537 above.

No!  Just personal experiences.   

The same goes for car drivers' who 'have no indicators'.  THEY really get at me.  lol

Almost as bad as those misusing indicators. I have in recent months for some reason started to come across people entering roundabouts in the left hand lane whilst indicating right. Then as they reach the exit to go straight on they flip the indicator from the right one to the left and leave the roundabout. I'd far rather these people didn't use them at all! I cannot grasp why anyone would indicate right when they have no intention of going right.

Then there's those who enter the roundabout in the left hand lane with no indicators and proceed to drive all the way round the outside to take the right hand exit, or those who enter the roundabout in the right hand lane then do a full 360 to cut the queue in the left hand lane and go straight on.

Maybe we should remove all roundabouts!

• RMweb Gold

Just getting back to the Sainsbury's driver, he got no benefit from overtaking the cyclist where he did. He can see the width of the cycle lane, he can see the island that restricts the width of road further and can see the speed of the traffic in front is not that greater than the cyclist. All he needed to do is hang back until the island has gone, and the bus lane allowed a safer pass, and he would still have caught the traffic at the same point.

There was nothing gained by the lorry from overtaking the cyclist where there was insufficient width to do it safely.

Just for clarity, I'm not a cyclist, I'm too knackered and live in an area where there are 60 mph roads.

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Premium

Almost as bad as those misusing indicators. I have in recent months for some reason started to come across people entering roundabouts in the left hand lane whilst indicating right. Then as they reach the exit to go straight on they flip the indicator from the right one to the left and leave the roundabout. I'd far rather these people didn't use them at all! I cannot grasp why anyone would indicate right when they have no intention of going right.

Then there's those who enter the roundabout in the left hand lane with no indicators and proceed to drive all the way round the outside to take the right hand exit, or those who enter the roundabout in the right hand lane then do a full 360 to cut the queue in the left hand lane and go straight on.

The rules for indicating on roundabouts are logical but perhaps not obvious without being taught them.

I think someone standing next to most roundabouts in the UK and observing what drivers do would be hard pushed to work out from that what the rules actually are.

But of course the law doesn't actually compel indicating at all.

I can see the logic to this - the right indicator while in the left lane tells me that they are not taking the first (next) exit. You have the same problem at a traditional cross roads - is the car with no indicators on going straight across or are they just not using their indicators?

[i have shown a right indicator while in the left lane at a roundabout on occasion in this scenario - usually if there is someone who is a little too close to me for my comfort. I'd rather not give them any excuse to hit me, and if it confuses them perhaps they will back off a little and allow me to negotiate the roundabout without being clipped or spun around.]

Ideally for a roundabout with three exits there would be three lanes on the approach and you would simply use the lane that corresponded to the exit and never have to cross a white line after entering the roundabout, but that is rarely possible or practical - nor would it cater for those that sometimes need to do the full 360 and head back the way that they came.

Of interest, there is a roundabout on my commute that has two exits (three if you include the 360) and the left lane on the approach has arrows for straight ahead and turn right, so a right indicator in the left lane is hopefully justified in that instance. [The right approach lane is right turn only.]

Please don't remove all roundabouts - I'd rather it was the other way around: remove all traffic lights and replace with roundabouts! I seem to spend more and more time stopped at red lights, watching an empty road :-(

• RMweb Gold

Please don't remove all roundabouts - I'd rather it was the other way around: remove all traffic lights and replace with roundabouts! I seem to spend more and more time stopped at red lights, watching an empty road :-(

Just picking up on this, at the end of my road is the A1 which up until 1980 had 19 sets of trafic lights controlling the North/South dual carriageways as well as 3 roads that intersected them. To speed up the traffic flow on the A1, the lights were removed and a roundabout installed. Now we have the situation where the traffic is either stationary or constantly moving in the approach roads depending on the A1. Great for those on the A1 but when there is only one way across the A1 to head West no good for a town of 13,000. Couple that to drivers that don't understand how a roundabout works and it now see's more accidents than the traffic lights (although there was more speed involved with them)