The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Can anybody explain what the benefit is of having a car with one front fog lamp or 'daytime lighting' lamp that illuminates when turning a corner.

Just there to annoy my OCD tendencies. 

As for indicators you can hardly see them these days as they are lost in over bright headlights and being moulded in with the headlamps

Yep, ones in the middle of the rear light clusters are a pain for this (VW group seem particularly bad for it). LED tail lights seem to have a poor difference between red and yellow lights, and the red of the brake light makes it pretty much invisible 

Some (most?)  DRLs switch off on the same side when the indicator is activated. My car does.

They do on the fron (but not the back), and if they have managed to work out the DRL is too bright and makes the indicator invisible, then maybe just make the DRL a bit less bright in the first place. Plenty of DRLs are horrible enough to start to dazzle you.

As an aside, it probably should be an MOT fail. Reason for rejection of an indicator:-

adversely affected by the operation of another lamp e.g. dual function lamps on foreign vehicles.

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, most do dip or go off (which to my eyes looks daft and lop-eyed),  But some don't, which to me is VERY poor design.  Likewise, the rear indicators on some Audis, especially ones where the lights/brake lights are an LED outline, with a very thin filament bulb indicator in the middle, almost invisible when braking.  How do designs like this actually get approved?!!

....As an aside, it probably should be an MOT fail. Reason for rejection of an indicator:-

adversely affected by the operation of another lamp e.g. dual function lamps on foreign vehicles.

That should catch quite a few vans, which generally lead a hard life and seem to be particularly prone to short-circuits in tail lights.

Meanwhile, in the world of mobility scooters...

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

Dunno what useful light they put out but tonight I came across someone driving along an unlit A road using only strip-type DRLs. No head or tail lights.

• RMweb Gold

This isn't quite 'Driving Standards' but what is a driver to do when faced with what are at first sight contradictory signs.

post-4738-0-27162800-1488485668_thumb.jpg

These are just leaving Brampton (Nr Huntingdon) heading towards the A1, I think they're actually signs put up by a community roadwatch group, if they are then someone ought to have a word with them about where they're placed.  As you can see on the other side of the road there is an 'entrance gate' with the village name sign on, a big '30' speed sign and just to my right an illuminated speed indicator. But why place them below a national speed limit sign ? there are correct '30' repeater signs only 200 feet before these.

And before anyone asks I was stationary with no traffic behind me. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This isn't quite 'Driving Standards' but what is a driver to do when faced with what are at first sight contradictory signs.

attachicon.gifBrampton signs.jpg

These are just leaving Brampton (Nr Huntingdon) heading towards the A1, I think they're actually signs put up by a community roadwatch group, if they are then someone ought to have a word with them about where they're placed.  As you can see on the other side of the road there is an 'entrance gate' with the village name sign on, a big '30' speed sign and just to my right an illuminated speed indicator. But why place them below a national speed limit sign ? there are correct '30' repeater signs only 200 feet before these.

Isn't it an offence to interfere with road signs?

• RMweb Premium

They do on the fron (but not the back), and if they have managed to work out the DRL is too bright and makes the indicator invisible, then maybe just make the DRL a bit less bright in the first place. Plenty of DRLs are horrible enough to start to dazzle you.

As an aside, it probably should be an MOT fail. Reason for rejection of an indicator:-

My DRLs are front only. So it doesn't matter about the back one. I think that most cars with DRL are front only anyway.

I'm sure that the manufacturers wouldn't build in an MOT fail.....

By dual function, are they referring to the US trait of having a flashing brake light as an indicator?

• RMweb Premium

There is no contradiction. Max speed signs with that wording are classed as advisory.

Much like signs when approaching a difficult bend.

Although in the case you highlight they are confusing.

There is a village near me, where the national limit signs when leaving the village, have been spray painted black.....

They've been like that for two years.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

There is a village near me, where the national limit signs when leaving the village, have been spray painted black.....

They've been like that for two years.

Cheers,

Mick

So no one has reported the dodgy signs to the authorities? They aren't mind readers, nor is there any automatic detection for when the signage is obscured.

• RMweb Premium

So no one has reported the dodgy signs to the authorities? They aren't mind readers, nor is there any automatic detection for when the signage is obscured.

I doubt the villagers have, as there's been a campaign to move the 30/national limit further out from the village centre.

If the authorities have been informed, it's likely that it's not high on their priorities as it "restores" a higher allowable speed limit. The local highways authority is Lancashire County Council and they are well known for their anti-speeding stance.

My DRLs are front only. So it doesn't matter about the back one. I think that most cars with DRL are front only anyway.

I'm sure that the manufacturers wouldn't build in an MOT fail.....

By dual function, are they referring to the US trait of having a flashing brake light as an indicator?

DRLs are generally only on the front, but they can still dazzle.

Rear brake lights (irrespective of DRLs) can still over power visibility of the rear indicators

Dual function could be stop / tail lights, but that is just an example. Adversely affecting another light should be a fail, and dimming the DRLs would appear to fall into that category to me.

All the best

Katy

Nearly all new US (maybe all?) autos have orange indicators . I think the last time I saw a combined Brake/Indicator was on a BMW (go figure). Older/classic cars still have them.

Never see rear fog lights here - maybe because the rear lights are too bright anyway nowadays.

To be honest they’ve never really bothered me in everyday driving. If you want brake lights to really stand out - strobe them?

My last SUV over here had front fog lights independent of headlights which I preferred - I could turn both on if I wished. My current car has fog lights that only come on with the headlights - so I get a lot of back scatter in daylight which I hate.

To be honest they’ve (the brake lights/ indicator thing) been below my radar meaning they are not bothering me but I’ll keep an eye open over the next few days (I suspect trucks may not have orange indicators but I may be wrong).

Best, Pete.

The signs with 30 on them are the speed limits, the things above them are banner repeaters....;-)

Personally I've never been a big fan of the idea of a 'national speed limit' simply because there are many stretches of road on which the NSL applies in which it is impossible/highly dangerous to do anything approaching 60mph. Yes, I know the speed limit is a maximum, and motorists don't have to drive at that speed, but a driver doing 50 on a country lane where anything more than 30 is extremely foolhardy is not actually breaking any laws (except perhaps reckless driving, which is more debateable than the yes/no of exceeding the speed limit).

The B road between Pentlepoir and Saundersfoot goes to NSL within a hundred yards of the junction with the A road through Pentlepoir, yet in the next quarter of a mile to the station, there is nowhere where 30 could be safely achieved, and approaching Saundersfoot station "SLOW" is written in the middle of the road round a double bend and through an arched overbridge signposted 'oncoming vehicles in middle of road'. No reason why the 30 limit through Pentlepoir couldn't remain in place until after the bridge.

• RMweb Premium

Looking at those signs, I would think a vandal has spun the 30mph signs round, i've seen that happen before...

Last year I was driving through Warcop on the A66 and there were two sets of speed limit signs all the way through, with different limits shown. Obviously they had put up a new set on new poles and planned to remove the others. Some had the remains of black plastic bags covering the signs, but some comedian had moved some the bags  from one set of signs to another. So what the legal speed limit was that day I have no idea!!!

• RMweb Premium

Personally I've never been a big fan of the idea of a 'national speed limit' simply because there are many stretches of road on which the NSL applies in which it is impossible/highly dangerous to do anything approaching 60mph. Yes, I know the speed limit is a maximum, and motorists don't have to drive at that speed, but a driver doing 50 on a country lane where anything more than 30 is extremely foolhardy is not actually breaking any laws (except perhaps reckless driving, which is more debateable than the yes/no of exceeding the speed limit).

The B road between Pentlepoir and Saundersfoot goes to NSL within a hundred yards of the junction with the A road through Pentlepoir, yet in the next quarter of a mile to the station, there is nowhere where 30 could be safely achieved, and approaching Saundersfoot station "SLOW" is written in the middle of the road round a double bend and through an arched overbridge signposted 'oncoming vehicles in middle of road'. No reason why the 30 limit through Pentlepoir couldn't remain in place until after the bridge.

Actually ithey do work because puttinga limit on speeds up the traffic, I know an area moved from NSL to 40 and accident rates went up

• RMweb Premium

So what is the point of the NSL signs? If its 60mph, why not have a sign that says that? Its still the same number of signs.

They did away with them years ago here, although some may still be encountered.

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of fact the NSL is 30 mph except on Motorways. The maximum permitted speed is 70 mph but varies according to the type of road, built up areas and local conditions. This is why you never see 'repeat' signs where there is a 30 mph limit as drivers should know that in the absence of speed limit signs the NSL applies.

• RMweb Premium

As a matter of fact the NSL is 30 mph except on Motorways. The maximum permitted speed is 70 mph but varies according to the type of road, built up areas and local conditions. This is why you never see 'repeat' signs where there is a 30 mph limit as drivers should know that in the absence of speed limit signs the NSL applies.

Whereas.

Default speed limits

Speed limit signs are not displayed on all roads in Victoria. Where speed limit signs are not installed, the default speed limit is always in effect. In built-up areas, the default speed limit is 50 km/h. On country roads outside built-up areas, the default speed limit is 100 km/h.

Yet, I find here this. Which is almost identical to what is in Victoria.

60mph

The general speed limit rules for cars are: For built-up urban roads with street lighting the speed limit is 30 mph. For single carriageway roads the national speed limit is 60mph. For dual carriageways and motorways the speed limit is 70mph.
  • Like 1

Certainly in New Jersey there is the small print on speed signs - some of them literally have it written on the sign themselves but you have to stop the car and get out to read them. It usually reads:

“When conditions permit”.

It gives a lot of leeway to the boys in blue (ish).

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Not quite ,

The National speed limit is 30mph unless otherwise signed.  although in country areas you could for miles without see the black bar sign....

The maximum speed limit depends on they type of vehicle you are driving, if the small van you are driving does not have a passenger equivalent it's maximum speed limit may well be 60mph (several people prosecuted for that recently)

You do get 30mph repeater signs sometimes where you have a 30mph limit imposed on something like a dual carriageway.