The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

This looks like a great place to park while I pop into the jewellers

attachicon.gifIMG_20170228_121027.jpg

Definite mistake there. He should at least have his hazard lights flashing to justify the fact he's parked on a double yellow line in a dangerous position. As we all know, hazard lights make sh!tty parking all ok in the eyes of these people.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Everyone's assuming its a he, isn't that sexist? :jester:

If it's a she then the beard shows she's got other things to worry about than parking.

Why is it that, during a heavy snow shower, drivers, of white-painted vehicles especially, can't use some sort of illumination to make themselves easier to see?

Or silver

Edited by laurenceb
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Why is it that, during a heavy snow shower, drivers, of white-painted vehicles especially, can't use some sort of illumination to make themselves easier to see?

I remember driving down the M6 from Manchester in a blizzard about 25 years ago. Only the centre lane was completely clear and most drivers were using that and keeping to 30-40 mph and a good distance as well. I was surprised when two cars shot past me at at least twice my speed racing each other, both cars were white, a fancy sports job and a BMW. Inevitably I came across them a few miles further on piled up together on the central barrier with the drivers standing shivering alongside them. I didn't bother to stop and offer them a lift.

• Like 3

I remember driving down the M6 from Manchester in a blizzard about 25 years ago. Only the centre lane was completely clear and most drivers were using that and keeping to 30-40 mph and a good distance as well. I was surprised when two cars shot past me at at least twice my speed racing each other, both cars were white, a fancy sports job and a BMW. Inevitably I came across them a few miles further on piled up together on the central barrier with the drivers standing shivering alongside them. I didn't bother to stop and offer them a lift.

I think the universal hand symbol for a 'W' with an anchor under it would be far more apprpriate as you drive past in your nice warm car.

• Like 2

Can anybody explain what the benefit is of having a car with one front fog lamp or 'daytime lighting' lamp that illuminates when turning a corner. The lamp that illuminates is the one nearest the corner being turned. I've seen this in BMW and Merc models and with irony, assumed it was there to replace the drivers inability to use indicators, however last week saw one where the driver had set the indicator and the illuminated fog lamp on the same front side nearly obliterated the indicators presence, thus cancelling any benefit to other road users about the drivers turning. As a pedestrian while dog walking, it's difficult enough in crossing where you cannot determine the drivers intentions at a junction. On one driving site, I've read they are to assist the driver by illuminating the corner as you turn-what in daylight. Is it just a fad or is there any practical benefit.

• RMweb Premium

This is why we always have red or bright blue cars,

Black no good at night,

White or grey no good in fog or snow (we have a lot of fog round here)

Yellow no good against all the fields of rape seed around here. (and I don't like the colour)

Brown no good when they've been ploughing.

Green no good when they haven't.

As for indicators you can hardly see them these days as they are lost in over bright headlights and being moulded in with the headlamps

• Like 2

Black no good at night,

Yellow no good against all the fields of rape seed around here. (and I don't like the colour)

As for indicators you can hardly see them these days as they are lost in over bright headlights and being moulded in with the headlamps

I call cars in the silver group stealth cars because you cannot see them at dusk or in fog and they are the ones most likely to have no lights. Red cars dont show up in the dark ether

Warning: Unknown: 1 result set(s) not freed. Use mysql_free_result to free result sets which were requested using mysql_query() in Unknown on line 0

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the universal hand symbol for a 'W' with an anchor under it would be far more apprpriate as you drive past in your nice warm car.

The one I used was form a circle with thumb and forefinger and perform a downward movement from forehead. :jester:

Can anybody explain what the benefit is of having a car with one front fog lamp or 'daytime lighting' lamp that illuminates when turning a corner. The lamp that illuminates is the one nearest the corner being turned. I've seen this in BMW and Merc models and with irony, assumed it was there to replace the drivers inability to use indicators, however last week saw one where the driver had set the indicator and the illuminated fog lamp on the same front side nearly obliterated the indicators presence, thus cancelling any benefit to other road users about the drivers turning. As a pedestrian while dog walking, it's difficult enough in crossing where you cannot determine the drivers intentions at a junction. On one driving site, I've read they are to assist the driver by illuminating the corner as you turn-what in daylight. Is it just a fad or is there any practical benefit.

It's supposed to be a practical benefit which turned rapidly into a styling fad.

The only system of headlamps that can "see around corners" which actually worked properly was the one produced by Citroen for its DS (1968 models onwards) and SM cars. This mechanically linked the high beams to the steering:

http://youtu.be/BchkRrmmB0g

The 21st-century version uses spotlights and is electrically-controlled. The problem is that the beams are projected through lenses that appear to be unfocused, so it's possible to blind oncoming drivers, not just pedestrians. They are a bit of a nuisance being mostly very low down, and I notice many drivers don't really notice if the bulb has failed.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

No idea but it is confusing.

They go on and off at random.

Black no good at night,

Not just me struggling with modern indicators then?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They're not "random", they either go on and off with the appropriate indicator or with the steering wheel being turned.  I can see the point to a degree, especially on newer cars with very focussed headlamp beams.  I just changed the bulb in my right hand one to an apparently identical one and it has gone from a fairly good spread of light to a very hard edge to the light, annoying when manoevering as it leaves a dark area, I'll have to have another look at it.  

Some cars have such poorly designed indicators you wonder how they passed any relevant standards testing, I think it is a Nissan I'm thinking of in particular with a > shape DRL around the headlight, with the single indicator "bulb" inside the point of the > making it almost invisible from any distance.  

• RMweb Premium

Some cars have such poorly designed indicators you wonder how they passed any relevant standards testing, I think it is a Nissan I'm thinking of in particular with a > shape DRL around the headlight, with the single indicator "bulb" inside the point of the > making it almost invisible from any distance.  

Some (most?)  DRLs switch off on the same side when the indicator is activated. My car does.

Edited by newbryford