The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Gold

He was probably parked like a to55er and causing an obstruction which would have wasted valuable time in a life threatening situation had a fire appliance or ambulance been trying to pass rather than the ASDA van anyway.

Blame the victim.....yep that works doesn't it. 

Nothing about the Asda van passing it in one direction then pulling alongside then after hitting the car driving away without stopping, or are we conveniently ignoring that part.

I always find it amusing that to make the story more plausible just mention "Emergency vehicle/life threatening situation" and then it's justified.

Asda has a claim to fame in this area, an incident over a disabled space where a punch was thrown and the recipient died, just a few days after being given the all clear from cancer.

• RMweb Gold

I might be missing something but why park your car so its blocking half the lane when you have got a perfectly good yard to park it in!

It does look to me as if there is a bit of 'history' there.

For exactly the reason people park half on the pavement blocking pedestrian access instead of on their empty drive. I don't know what the reason is but could guess at a few.

Mike.

Blame the victim.....yep that works doesn't it. 

Nothing about the Asda van passing it in one direction then pulling alongside then after hitting the car driving away without stopping, or are we conveniently ignoring that part.

I always find it amusing that to make the story more plausible just mention "Emergency vehicle/life threatening situation" and then it's justified.

I got it first hand from my dad about how much time was wasted by himself and the crew or his fire appliance bouncing cars out of the way because the situation was that urgent. And that's if he was lucky enough to be in charge of a pump with a five man crew to do the work. If it was an aerial appliance or a rescue tender there were only two of them so if they couldn't find the owner fast they would have to bang on doors to get help or literally shove the vehicle with the appliance in the worst case.

• RMweb Gold

I got it first hand from my dad about how much time was wasted by himself and the crew or his fire appliance bouncing cars out of the way because the situation was that urgent. And that's if he was lucky enough to be in charge of a pump with a five man crew to do the work. If it was an aerial appliance or a rescue tender there were only two of them so if they couldn't find the owner fast they would have to bang on doors to get help or literally shove the vehicle with the appliance in the worst case.

I see, so based on the second hand account of someone having to move vehicles you assumed that this situation is the same,  and even though the van passed the parked car twice decided that the person who's vehicle is damaged is at blame and yet the van driver who maliciously damaged it (clearly with intent) bears no blame in this.

I showed the clip to the brickie this morning who is a retained FO, His words were "van drivers a c***, what's the bo**ocks he's spouting, if the van can get by twice so could the tender and ambulance, we have more problems with drivers not moving over when the cars moving cos they don't see us when they're on the phone"

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I might be missing something but why park your car so its blocking half the lane when you have got a perfectly good yard to park it in!

If you read the story the car owner was a visitor to the house of his uncle, so not his yard.

Full House yesterday

Red light camera, all three lanes at once....

Once the penalty notices are issued, presumably there will be a dispute as to which one of the three triggered the camera. I'm putting money on the last car to cross the line.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

I live on a corner, there is 3 metres between the dropped kerb for pedestrians and my driveway. Some people insist on parking there, either obstructing my drive or the pedestian dropped kerb. One in particular is a regular visitor to a neighbour despite the fact that there is safe and legal parking 10 metres away, just too lazy to walk those 10 metres.

• Like 2

....even though the van passed the parked car twice decided that the person who's vehicle is damaged is at blame and yet the van driver who maliciously damaged it (clearly with intent) bears no blame in this....

No word on whether Spasda's internal procedures discovered which of their drivers did it, either.

• RMweb Premium

For exactly the reason people park half on the pavement blocking pedestrian access instead of on their empty drive. I don't know what the reason is but could guess at a few.

Mike.

Because parking on their own drive would involve reversing at some point. Too many people are afraid of reversing.

Mick

Going along the dual carriageway with a 40 mph limit the other morning in the fog a pair of headlights appeared heading towards me flash the lights and she drove across the central reservation.

Mike

I've actually done the "wrong way down a dual carriageway in thick fog" thing. It was in the small hours of the morning, I was cold, tired and distracted by my motorcycle having thrown a mechanical tantrum far from home, and I pulled out of an unfamiliar petrol station onto what I genuinely believed to be the correct side of a single carriageway road. I only twigged when I reached a set of traffic lights and thought the configuration looked a bit odd.

Then a little bit of wee came out when realisation dawned as to what I'd just done :O.

Good job everyone else was sensible enough to be at home in bed.

• RMweb Premium

Nooooo idea what the van driver felt a need to do that for, it's quite obviously not an "accident", there must be some history there somewhere.  

As for badly parked cars blocking emergency vehicles, its a point I usually make to dimwitted parkers too, when I'm sitting there waiting in my bus for them to move so I can get through, that a fire engine is the same width (and believe me, if I could get through with an inch either side, I would!).  Its a point they rarely seem to grasp.  It may well be as ChrisPBacon says, that there are no doubt bigger problems - or more frequent ones - that the fire service has to contend with, but that's not the same as it being ok to park obstructively.  It might be rare, it might only cause a 60 second delay, but that 60 seconds is sometimes all it takes, in just one incident out of hundreds, to make a difference to the outcome.

• RMweb Gold

when I'm sitting there waiting in my bus for them to move so I can get through, that a fire engine is the same width

Just a point on this.

I've built a couple of houses which have long driveways and one of the requisites is the access must be 3.2M wide for an emergency vehicle, one of these driveways failed as it was 3.17M wide, when I appealed the decision I sent photographs of a LWB beaver tailed lorry carrying a 7.5T digger entering the site forward and leaving forward (after turning) at the pinch point. I was successful in the appeal and the Fire officer agreed that if the beaver tail could make it so could their tender.

He did comment that the lorry driver was a tad ugly though and I had to agree with him on that. Ben (the drivers) response was "Pi*s off" which for him took all his brain cells and many minutes to conjure up.

Edited by chris p bacon

• RMweb Premium

If you read the article , the owner was visiting his uncle, so not his yard .

Beaten to this reply .

Edited by Sidecar Racer

• RMweb Premium

Nice bit of stupidity behind the wheel today, and alas it was mine. Lights go green, another set of lights not much further on, so I move forward and then wait in the next queue. After a while the number of cars going past on my right started to irritate me - why were they set up for that direction without me being able to move? Then I realised that I'd stopped behind a row of parked cars.

Nice bit of stupidity behind the wheel today, and alas it was mine. Lights go green, another set of lights not much further on, so I move forward and then wait in the next queue. After a while the number of cars going past on my right started to irritate me - why were they set up for that direction without me being able to move? Then I realised that I'd stopped behind a row of parked cars.

Been there; done that; got the T-shirt; as, I suspect, quite a few have on here

Yep! Done that too!

• RMweb Gold

There is a fellow driving instructor in Cardiff who boasts about how many pupils he's had do that, and how long it's taken the pupil to realise. I think one lad was allowed to sit for about 5 mins before realising.......Think I'd some of my pupils over the years would have been less than impressed if I'd let them sit there that long.......

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is a fellow driving instructor in Cardiff who boasts about how many pupils he's had do that, and how long it's taken the pupil to realise. I think one lad was allowed to sit for about 5 mins before realising.......Think I'd some of my pupils over the years would have been less than impressed if I'd let them sit there that long.......

This reminds me...

Ask any new bus driver how many times they:

- stopped (or went to stop) at a bus stop, on their way home from work in the car, and

- stopped at a bus stop to discover they were stopping for the picture of a person on the advert on the shelter

:jester:

(and yes, it was always funny to see a trainee look round at me when they realised they were doing the latter, to see if I'd noticed, and the look of "oh damn, he's seen it" on their face :-D )

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Because parking on their own drive would involve reversing at some point. Too many people are afraid of reversing.

Mick

Reversing onto a drive is very similar to reversing around a corner.

Hang on I've read that this is  being dropped in favour of reversing out of a parking bay!

I thought they were supposed to be improving the driving test, not dumbing it down.

Ditto using a satnav rather than being able to follow roadsigns. (Especially if the road junction is all dug up with slight traffic diversions in place)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1