The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

I don't like the fact you then have to pay £100 and up for a suitable code reader to get the actual error.

My latest code reader cost £300, but has paid for itself already

Mine cost £20 last year. Very interesting display readouts for OBD II, especially the live reporting function that runs as you drive. It hasn't picked out anything major yet.

I couldn't spend £300 on a code reader. And anyway, driving over verges is free.....

• RMweb Premium

The thing that annoys me is the check engine light. It came on, I checked, and it turns out the engine was still there under the bonnet so I kept going..... :P

Its a Microsoft Windows thing. You have to stop, all get out the car and take the keys out. Then all get back in, restart the car and continue on.

My car did that once years ago, I had to call the roadside assist, because it remained on. By the time they got there, the fault had gone. I still have the same car and its never done the same thing again!

1996 Volvo 850. This was a couple of years ago. It has an OBDII port, but outputs flash codes through it. I soldered an LED and dippers to allow them to be read. Turned out to be a faulty camshaft position sensor.

If I remember correctly, the original legislation was for a standard OBD socket, just nothing specified about how it was wired up or how it communicated!

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

some vauxhalls you dont ned a reader just learn the "pedal trick "

I'm guessing that's the same as the Ford trip computer button trick? Press and hold it while switching on the ignition (without turning on the engine) and it'll cycle through various outputs on the dash. Great when you think your battery is on its way out and you don't have a multimeter with you. Unfortunately, last time I needed to check mine, the battery was pretty much knackered and was unable to start the car afterwards!

• RMweb Gold

I'm guessing that's the same as the Ford trip computer button trick? Press and hold it while switching on the ignition (without turning on the engine) and it'll cycle through various outputs on the dash. Great when you think your battery is on its way out and you don't have a multimeter with you. Unfortunately, last time I needed to check mine, the battery was pretty much knackered and was unable to start the car afterwards!

Was it at this point that I towed it to the garage.......or was that the previous car  :mosking:

First outing after the new year. Leaving a 30mph into a stretch that floods after rain I accelerated to 40mph Not the absolute limit of 60mph. I spy the driver behind gesticulating because I'm not going fast enough.!!!! Two words and the second is "off". Once past the risk stretch I accelerate and the car behind trails away. Only to catch up when I slow to the 30mph for the next village. Speed limits not for them.

Must be getting old.

I had a similar experience on Monday.  I was in a 60kph zone and was doing an indicated speed of 62 or so (which in my car was probably a true 60) and there was someone behind me behaving in the same way.  He managed, after a couple of risky lane changes, to get past, and disappeared up the hill, doing, I would guess, between 70 and 75.  A kilometre further on, the speed limit changes to 80kph, and it wasn't long until I sailed past him - he was still doing somewhere between 70 and 75.  He passed me again though after we got to the next built up area with a limit of 60 kph.....

• RMweb Premium

The traffic police do have their favourite spots for setting up radar speed traps. One such place is Winkletye Lane in Hornchurch near to where it has a junction with the A127. There is a steepish down grade before the junction followed by a straight stretch of about 200 metres. On the straight stretch there is a wide pavement with a couple of overhanging trees where the police wait as they can't be seen until you are almost on them. One morning when travelling in the opposite direction I espied the police waiting there and as I was going up the hill a woman in a sports car at about 50 mph (in a 30mph zone) came over the hill in the opposite direction. I flashed a warning but her reply was to give me the finger as she flashed by, silly girl.

• RMweb Premium

I had a similar experience on Monday.  I was in a 60kph zone and was doing an indicated speed of 62 or so (which in my car was probably a true 60) and there was someone behind me behaving in the same way.  He managed, after a couple of risky lane changes, to get past, and disappeared up the hill, doing, I would guess, between 70 and 75.  A kilometre further on, the speed limit changes to 80kph, and it wasn't long until I sailed past him - he was still doing somewhere between 70 and 75.  He passed me again though after we got to the next built up area with a limit of 60 kph.....

On my way home, there is a section of road, about 4km long. In the middle is a steep descending hill, with a speed limit of 90kmh throughout the full length. I was following a car & at the top of the hill it was doing 60kmh. By the foot of the hill, it reached 75kmh. About 1km further along, the road changes to 60kmh. Along this section, it speed up to perhaps 80kmh, leaving me behind!

WHY?

:banghead:

On my way home, there is a section of road, about 4km long. In the middle is a steep descending hill, with a speed limit of 90kmh throughout the full length. I was following a car & at the top of the hill it was doing 60kmh. By the foot of the hill, it reached 75kmh. About 1km further along, the road changes to 60kmh. Along this section, it speed up to perhaps 80kmh, leaving me behind!

WHY?

:banghead:

Possibly because their habit is to accelerate to their usual speed, and then stick to it regardless of limits?

• RMweb Premium

Was it at this point that I towed it to the garage.......or was that the previous car  :mosking:

No, it's the current one! It would probably have made it to Halford's if I hadn't managed to stall it and completely killed the battery....!

• RMweb Premium

some vauxhalls you dont ned a reader just learn the "pedal trick " 

Now reset the airbag after unplugging the seat.

I know people who have done that

• RMweb Premium

Mine cost £20 last year. Very interesting display readouts for OBD II, especially the live reporting function that runs as you drive. It hasn't picked out anything major yet.

I couldn't spend £300 on a code reader.

Mine is not OBDII but I have one of those as well.

They pay for themselves, found out out the following.

MAF was OK just dirty, saved cost of new MAF

Twice had ABS faults, both times told me which hub was at fault. Also which one was broken by a garage.

Able to test the replacement electric fan by the press of a button as they only cut in at high temperatures normally

Got an intermittant gearbox problem (switch needs cleaning), a quick reset is so easy.

Able to operate windows when switches removed for fixing the transfer box lever and I had to get a new riveter.

• RMweb Premium

If there was a market for tech free cars just like in the olden days then a manufacturer would fill that void. Dacia come close with their entry level models. The market would indicate that most buyers do like modern cars and car tech. And in the case of engines, despite what people might wish for, there is no way a manufacturer could meet emissions requirements and achieve competitive performance and economy without using electronic engine management and all the trickery of modern engines.

Although I'm wondering whether that could change... Keep and improve the technology that makes the engine run nicely, but what I want from my next car is a good quality car but without everything in it being as high-tech as possible. That's not the same as an entry level car. I've heard the first grumblings from elsewhere on the subject too. In particular I think touchscreens are a bad idea (you need to look at them to find where to touch).

edit: For a comparison look at computers. They get more and more powerful but we've reached the point where a lot of people don't want or need all the things that can be done with that power, and a simpler phone or tablet does everything they want. Of course that required technology advancing to the point where that was possible, and they'd happily take more power in the phone if it came with no downsides.

Edited by Reorte

Back to DRLs if i may tootaling along in traffic nice bright clear winter morning visibility infinate coming up on a junction lady comes down to the give way and strait out in front of me luckily antisipation menat i avoided a colision after a few hands signal off she goes and pulls into the same carpark as me is strait over shouting and pointing that i should have my lights on ? i ask why " well everyone else has thats why i didnt see you " i reply " but its a clear day i dont need them on " her reply " well its winter you should have them on all the time " wtf ? are DRLs now making it dangerous to own a non equiped older car through not having them and therefore being invisible ?

'.... called into Crownhill Police Station.....'
I think not, they don't have enough Policemen to attend to serious crimes, let alone facing the wrong way,

even though the Highway Code advises :- 

Rule 248   You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow
unless in a recognised parking space.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of observations on DRL's.

Firstly, they were not a compulsory fitment on GB cars under the construction and use regulations, has this changed?

Secondly, having just covered a fair distance on British roads between boxing day and the new year, a lot of the time was spent in foggy conditions, the number of cars without any lights on at all was about the same as I remember, you will always get the idiot few, but the thing that amazed was the exceptionally high number of cars driving with only their DRL's on, which by default means no rear lights, obviously DRL's lull the less competent and thoughtful driver into thinking that they have adequate lighting as their dashboard lights are illuminated, a sign of safety working against itself?

I must say though, it was a pleasure to navigate roundabouts with like minded drivers who know about lane control, unlike over here where the circumnavigation of a rotunda is akin to a white knuckle ride at Alton Towers.

Mike.

• Like 1

...., it was a pleasure to navigate roundabouts with like minded drivers who know about lane control, unlike over here where the circumnavigation of a rotunda is akin to a white knuckle ride at Alton Towers...

Yes, but in a theme park, the white knuckle ride sometimes gets stuck....

• RMweb Premium

'.... called into Crownhill Police Station.....'

I think not, they don't have enough Policemen to attend to serious crimes, let alone facing the wrong way,

even though the Highway Code advises :- 

Rule 248   You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow

unless in a recognised parking space.

I think if it's a "MUST NOT" then it's not advice, it's the law...

• RMweb Premium

thing that amazed was the exceptionally high number of cars driving with only their DRL's on, which by default means no rear lights, obviously DRL's lull the less competent and thoughtful driver into thinking that they have adequate lighting as their dashboard lights are illuminated, a sign of safety working against itself?

Hi

When only the DRLs are on, on my car the light on the dashboard doesn't illuminate.

One of the other problems is that people with automatic lights tend to assume they will come on even in fog which isn't the case. This I think is why there tends to be more people without their lights on.

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2

A couple of observations on DRL's.

Firstly, they were not a compulsory fitment on GB cars under the construction and use regulations, has this changed?

Mike.

Mike,

I think DRLs have been compulsory on cars registered since March 2011 IIRC

Dave

• RMweb Premium

Meanwhile, in Plymouth....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

It is no fun hitting wrong way round parkers in fog

Yes I did look into it, they were liable.

I just slammed on my brake and did a stoppie!

Damaged their front bumper and my mud guard