The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Been caught speeding recently  ;)

Not had a speeding conviction for 20 years, probably longer.

Edit. Having recalled the details of the event it must have been before 1984.

Any more totally inaccurate suppositions?

I find it amusing that since he got three out of the four words correct, your accusation of total inaccuracy is well... inaccurate!!

• 2 weeks later...

driving back from speke to heywood  after my delivery just after dusk and noted some five vehicles sharing the motorways along my route with no rear lights (DRLs lit on front ) who despite myself and others flashing our lights at them on they bligthly sailed oblivious to the world around them i find this a regular phenomanon 

• RMweb Premium

Why are DLRL only on the front of the car? Why hasn't the old Swedish pattern of sidelights been followed, that would at least get around pillocks driving with just the DLRL lit when it is actually dark....

Andy G

• Like 2

Why are DLRL only on the front of the car? Why hasn't the old Swedish pattern of sidelights been followed, that would at least get around pillocks driving with just the DLRL lit when it is actually dark....

Andy G

Why do DLRL stay on when you switch your side or headlights on?

• RMweb Premium

Why do DLRL stay on when you switch your side or headlights on?

Mine don't. (65 plate Ford Fiesta)

One side will even turn off when I indicate to that side.... I've seen other makes of cars also do this

who despite myself and others flashing our lights at them on they bligthly sailed oblivious to the world around them i find this a regular phenomanon

Doesn't help that some cars illuminate the instrument lights when the daytime running lights are on

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

Doesn't help that some cars illuminate the instrument lights when the daytime running lights are on

Mine is illuminated even when no lights are on.

All the best

Katy

Mine is illuminated even when no lights are on.

So is mine.

What a stupid, dangerous idea,

what sort of tw@t thought that was a safe concept?

Seems to started off in Scandinavia (before the LED era),

Volvo%20Diverse%20014.JPG

(who remembers generations of 200- and 700-series Volvos going around with their side markers always on?)

and then other car makers adopted it. It really took off when Audi released their R8 sportscar. After that, it seems as if everyone was installing DRLs. They aren't a bad idea, but the execution sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Well it would be difficult to see the instruments if they were not illuminated. They aren't all moving needles and filament bulbs nowadays. LCD panels are quite common. Mine has traditional speedometer and tachometer but everything else is LCD.

The daylight running lights come on if the engine is running and "drive" has been selected.

Well it would be difficult to see the instruments if they were not illuminated. They aren't all moving needles and filament bulbs nowadays. LCD panels are quite common. Mine has traditional speedometer and tachometer but everything else is LCD.

The daylight running lights come on if the engine is running and "drive" has been selected.

Well it wouldn't be so bad/stupid if there were some rear lights that came on

automatically when you started the engine, or have the dashlights come on

with the sidelights, then you can't drive around without any lights on!

one suspect that somewhere on the dash there is a pretty little Symble that lights up and let's you know the all your lights are actualy on suspect this is just as visible as the other idiot light that gets missed that informs them that the rear fog lights are needlessly on from three days ago when they put them on cos every other muppet did when they didn't need to as visibility had got down to about three miles !
  • Like 1

one suspect that somewhere on the dash there is a pretty little Symble that lights up and let's you know the all your lights are actualy on suspect this is just as visible as the other idiot light that gets missed that informs them that the rear fog lights are needlessly on from three days ago

Mine does.

The fog lights also reset when you turn the lights off.

You can't forget to turn the lights off because it beeps furiously at you until you do so.

one suspect that somewhere on the dash there is a pretty little Symble that lights up and let's you know the all your lights are actualy on suspect this is just as visible as the other idiot light that gets missed that informs them that the rear fog lights are needlessly on from three days ago when they put them on cos every other muppet did when they didn't need to as visibility had got down to about three miles !

Trouble is, how many current vehicle steerers ('driver' gives them more credit than they deserve!)

even notice the dash lights, let alone know what they mean!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi

The new Astra won't allow the lights to be turned off. There are three settings on the switch, auto, sidelights (DRL) and on. I'm not sure if there are any rear lights when the DRL are on something I will check.

The other issue is that when it becomes foggy you see a lot of people driving around without their lights on as they have them set to auto. This doesn't get triggered in foggy conditions.

When indicating the DRL is replaced by the indicator on the side that is indicating as Newbryford mentions earlier.

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I run a Merc C class, the light's are Automatic running from sensors, The fogs are manual though and when selected there is a big enough light on the dashboard for you to know they are on, you can select just forward facing or forward and rear.

When the lights are on there is a big enough light on the dash for you to know they have activated, and the dash itself has several lighting modes.

One good feature I do like is if there is someone behind you with fullbeam, the mirrors automatically "dim" to reduce the glare, this means you don't have to keep moving your eyes from the line of sight of the mirrors.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

All the best

Katy

Trouble is, how many current vehicle steerers ('driver' gives them more credit than they deserve!)

even notice the dash lights, let alone know what they mean!

Problem is it might overpower the light on their mobile or i-pad.

• RMweb Premium

For those who really do struggle with speed limits, safe distances bbetween cars etc and don't know what the highway code is then that's why God invented Audi :jester:  :devil:

I didn't know whether to agree or give a funny to that one.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't know whether to agree or give a funny to that one.

Go on, you know it makes sense to agree!! :angel: ​My wife used to drive an Audi A1, enough said (I'll be paying well into next year if see ever reads that.....)

• RMweb Premium

jjb, is that the one that kept falling over when the steering wheel was turned ?

That one was the first gen MB A Class, in fairness MB did fix it. The A1 is basically a Polo/Fabia/Ibiza in an expensive suit and with a price hike.