The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

In my observation its because there's very little chance of getting caught - the 20mph through most of the villages (and indeed the 30/40 limits too) are not inappropriate - its just the idiots driving think they are, which is not the same thing. The idiots forget the numerous blind driveways which lead on to the road and therefore 20/30 mph is to allow for people having to edge out to see etc. etc. it's an accident risk which should be managed by lower speeds, not by "fingers crossed here I go"

The problem is very few people actually have the knowledge to make a judgement, they may *think* they have which is an entirely different matter - see above.

Without knowing I would bet £1 to 1p that most of the speeders do not even consider that someone may pull out of their drive, or someone may walk out, there are few pavements around these parts, all they care about is getting from A to B when *they* want to. As StationMaster (and probably others) have said there are some limits which are silly, these are very rarely in built up areas though which is where the 20mph limits tend to be.

I suspect that sentence applies to most drivers, not just most speeders!

• RMweb Premium

You want to get up to date mate. The LGV limits were raised recently (last year IIRC) - from 40 to 50mph on single carraigeways, & from 50 to 56mph on duals. So some trucks you thought were speeding - aren't.

...and as for 'just look at their tacho', since trucks mostly now have Digital tachos, the printout you give to the White Caps doesn't actually show vehicle speed.

Yep, I was about to write the same, that is correct.  Some think this is safer because people are less likely to want/need to overtake at 50 than at the previous 40, others think its worse because its harder to overtake... you can't win!  

Hi

It is known that the safest speed for a speed limit is the 85th percentile speed (ie, the speed that 85% will keep to in the absence of a speed limit). Setting the limit higher or lower will make it more dangerous.

Part of this is that if a limit is seen as reasonable then people will make an effort to keep to it, but if seen as unreasonable people will just completely ignore it

All the best

Katy

I do get the impression some do seem to concentrate on the speed limit, and that every car should travel at that speed

Whilst I am not advocating that we should all crawl along, as I understand that will upset many drivers and could lead to a dangerous overtake etc. The speed limit is the maximum and at all times a driver should drive at an appropriate speed for both the road and conditions at that time. Rushing from A to B is dangerous, having an accident on the way will cost far more time lost (though you would have an excuse for being late). If you are late then tough, end of. being in a hurry whether due to your fault or not is no excuse for putting others at risk

If you are the type of driver that always wants to drive at the limits or over do everyone a favour (including your family) go on a safe driver or advanced driver course, and get a new alarm clock

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

When driving autos I hate driving at that speed just below torque converter lockup.

My usual cruising speed on an A road is mid 50s, fast enough to get somewhere and maintain lockup.

Long trips fast roads, I will go a bit quicker, but my current car has the aerodynamics of a barn door.

Yes F-UnitMad, in England & Wales ONLY,  does not apply to Scotland, apart from part of the A9.  In E&W, I think 50 only applies where there is not a speed limit sign - only the "national speed limit".  Hope you have not been driving north of the border !

Didn't know about the digi tacho printout, the one I drive occasionally is an old card one.  A retrograde step if your speed can't be proven by a quick speed / time printout. 

Yes F-UnitMad, in England & Wales ONLY, does not apply to Scotland, apart from part of the A9. In E&W, I think 50 only applies where there is not a speed limit sign - only the "national speed limit". Hope you have not been driving north of the border !

Didn't know about the digi tacho printout, the one I drive occasionally is an old card one. A retrograde step if your speed can't be proven by a quick speed / time printout.

seem to remember it doesent if it does your print out but if they do a vehicle printout they can do it that way or they can just plug a lap top in to interrogate it and remember it records over speeds .now back to crap driving trundling along M60 clockwise this evening in my truck at jn16 little black Chevrolet spark squeezes into the gap behind the car I had let in and nearly rear ends him then proceeds to drive very erratically the reason driver is watching pop videos on a screen stuck on his dash ! Had to back off he was that badly distracted for the whole run betwix 16 & 18 he was constantly interacting with his screen in the slow moving traffic and had three near collisions scary

• RMweb Premium

The other day I was just leaving the Pitsea Tescoes where the main entrance opens directly on to a pedestrian crossing when the trolley I was pushing was nearly hit by a Chelsea tractor. The woman driver was concentrating on texting rather than her driving, this in the 'mother and child' parking zone.

• RMweb Premium

My motto is, if it's a white sign with a red ring around it obey it to the letter. If it's a dual carriageway don't exceed 10% over and generally the Police won't bother you. Forget the 10% + 2 myth. I got nicked doing 79 on a dual carriageway in Suffolk with a 70 limit.

You have no idea how GENEROUS the 10% 'error' is. In Oz, you'd be off the road in no time, if you didn't mend your ways. Try 3%! (actual margin depends on methods used to detect).

My motto is, if it's a white sign with a red ring around it obey it to the letter. If it's a dual carriageway don't exceed 10% over and generally the Police won't bother you. Forget the 10% + 2 myth. I got nicked doing 79 on a dual carriageway in Suffolk with a 70 limit.

Which is 10% +2?

A little reminder that you should always report an injury, or suspected injury accident collision to the police.

http://road.cc/content/news/212905-red-light-jumping-cyclist-causes-crash-driver-court-failing-report-it

It seems to me that the van driver got unfairly prosecuted. He really should have argued that as at the time it was reasonable to assume that no personal injury had occurred because of the insistance of the red-light jumping cyclist that there was no legal obligation to report the incident. Job done. Instead, we get a silly situation that only serves to reinforce public distrust of authorities, and the wrong person gets punished quite openly. Surely the cyclist should be prosecuted for dangerous cycling and subsequent wasting of Police time by attempting to obtain money by deception. Actually, isn't lying in court still perjury?

You have no idea how GENEROUS the 10% 'error' is. In Oz, you'd be off the road in no time, if you didn't mend your ways. Try 3%! (actual margin depends on methods used to detect).

Generally speaking you won't get done for doing 77 in a 70. A lot of Police won't do you unless you are doing around 80-90mph. 84 is often quoted for fixed speed cameras.

Ah yes, you're in Victoria aren't you? Other states are a little more generous. In WA you're fairly safe (from prosecution) at +10% on the average speedo (which translates to a bit less in reality) unless you're doing it somewhere silly like an active school zone.

With pension, savings and money released from property, the old folk around here dash out and buy the vehicle of their dreams. It means the motorised shopping trolley today is often a twin-exhaust Merc saloon or Crossover 4X4, the former driven like a Morris Marina and the 4X4 like it was ten foot wide. They simply don't get enough driving experience in going down to Tesco and back. Get behind one and you'll know what I mean.

Edited by coachmann

....the 4X4 like it was ten foot wide. They simply don't get enough driving experience in going down to Tesco and back. Get behind one and you'll know what I mean.

This happens with a lot of noticeably younger drivers down here as well. Although London councils seem to have saved money by not painting dividing lines down the full length of a street, it looks like this has led to an increase in drivers now straddling the median line as if the street were a single-track road, when there is in fact more than enough room for two cars (including 4x4s) to pass. It looks even more ridiculous when the car coming right down the middle of the road is a small car.

• RMweb Premium

Usually they won't bother unless you are above 10%+2. (On a 70mph dual carriageway).

Try doing 35 in a 30 and you're gonna get nicked though.

The 10%+2 is only a guideline, and it's possible to imagine situations where you could be in trouble for driving too fast but still below the limit if it's perceived to be reckless or dangerous (although that's a much harder charge to get to stick, being somewhat subjective).

• RMweb Premium

Yep, it depends very much on the road conditions as to what speed is safe, 10%+2 is generally a decent guideline, I think, and strikes a balance between common sense and safety.  But also, WHAT you're driving makes a difference too, it might be perfectly suitable for you to do 30 in your car, whereas me in my bus might be doing 20 because I have less space to react, and less ability to brake suddenly or swerve without injuring someone.  In that same situation, Mr Ambulance might be able to do 40 in reasonable safety, whilst Mr Bicycle may ... in fact, no, lets not get on to bicyclists again!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, it depends very much on the road conditions as to what speed is safe, 10%+2 is generally a decent guideline, I think, and strikes a balance between common sense and safety.  But also, WHAT you're driving makes a difference too, it might be perfectly suitable for you to do 30 in your car, whereas me in my bus might be doing 20 because I have less space to react, and less ability to brake suddenly or swerve without injuring someone.  In that same situation, Mr Ambulance might be able to do 40 in reasonable safety, whilst Mr Bicycle may ... in fact, no, lets not get on to bicyclists again!

The speed limit in our village is 30mph. Your suggestion would mean 35, whereas 20 through the centre, passing the school, church and village hall would be sensible. Most drivers seem to think that 30 is a minimum. Another section -leading to open country has a number houses with "blind" drives leading onto it. Here the speed limit is seriously ignored, usually by drivers using their mobile phones.

Sense doesn't apply in many peoples driving. The car is just a convenient fashion accessory to enable them to do whatever that want to do, irrespective of consideration for others,

The local community police officer who has responsibility for our village is being trained to use a radar gun to check speeding.  Apparently he can stop and warn transgressors but not (yet) charge them.  The fastest driver he has stopped so far was doing well over 50mph in the 30mph zone through the village.  I doubt he is a one-off, given the speed of many drivers (often young, driving old, souped-up, lowered suspension motorised "roller skates" and wearing the obligatory baseball cap) seem to being going as they pass our house.

That, of course, is before we get to the school drop-off and collect mums (and some dads it must be admitted) who cannot park as the school requests in side roads to leave the main road clear but must get as close to the school as possible which means across driveways, on the pavement - or better still 3ft out from the pavement - in front of bus stops - in fact with no thought for anyone but themselves.

There now, I feel much better for telling you all that . . .

Stan

• Like 3

Sense doesn't apply in many peoples driving. The car is just a convenient fashion accessory to enable them to do whatever that want to do, irrespective of consideration for others,

You are quite correct in that those who speed have no consideration for others or in fact very little appreciation of driving conditions. With the exception of emergency services drivers and the few who have been trained to drive at speed, inappropriate speeding is in fact very dangerous as is driving to the speed limits in less than perfect conditions. Then we have not factored in distractions, phones, loud music, passengers etc, not including other idiot road users or those timid/unsure drivers using the road, then we have bikers with a death wish, closely followed by cyclists, and pedestrians