The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

I find this thread has become rather frightening.

The fact that there are such sanctimonious, judgemental, bullies in charge of motor vehicles ....

It's not just motor vehicles.

This afternoon, walking along Longfield Avenue to the junction with Gordon Road, I was treated to the sight of a cyclist swearing - very loudly, with liberal use of both c- and f-words - at a Toyota Pious minicab driver. It's kind of amusing to see the sanctimonious having a bust-up with the pious.....

double for hgvs ? and watch all your free next day deliverys go out the window how do you think they get there ? if you dont like HGVs dont buy stuff especialy on next day delivery 

They can just stick to Lane 1 and it won't cost them a penny more! Double zero is still zero. And if it does cost more than 20p for them to overtake the lorry in front then they really should not be overtaking it in the first place.

Edited by Titan

They can just stick to Lane 1 and it won't cost them a penny more! Double zero is still zero. And if it does cost more than 20p for them to overtake the lorry in front then they really should not be overtaking it in the first place.

People sticking to lane 1; I find that a novel concept as most seem to want to be French and drive in the left hand lanes and some never leave the middle lane!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

People sticking to lane 1; I find that a novel concept as most seem to want to be French and drive in the left hand lanes and some never leave the middle lane!

Lane 1 is the left hand lane...

Re-the 'lump hammers?'

If anyone on here, or indeed, on any other bit of the public highway, finds such antics 'scary'....then the answer is simple....stay well clear!

Of course, if anyone on here is prone to overtaking, forming a 'third ' line of traffic, [on a single carriageway road] and getting their vehicle within 18 inches of whatever they are overtaking, then, lump hammers or no, they deserve to be thoroughly frightened indeed.

Anyhow, to re-enforce the levels of anxiety posted on here, I've been out & about today [as I am most days].....driving around in a couple of tonnes equipped with rusty scaffolding poles bolted to the front...left rusty so as to encourage early onset of septicemia in those who get far too close for their comfort....

Sadly, the vast majority of road users I encountered actually remained a discrete distance behind me.

Something I like immensely..having empty roads stretching out in front........

Re-the use of gears to 'slow ' a vehicle...and the driving test ?

Use of gears effectively & correctly is assessed...if the candidate has that sort of control over the gearbox, that is.

The two main errors displayed when using the gears are...''too low a gear, for too high a road speed'.....and 'too high a gear for too low a road speed'..

If my meaning is understood?

The former is often displayed when attempting to 'use the gears to slow the vehicle'.

However, there is nothing preventing a thoughtful driver from actually using the engine braking effect to support the wheel brakes, as needed, when controlling one's speed...something drivers of older, heavy vehicles would have to do frequently.

Thus, one uses the brake, to slow...then one changes gear to one that s appropriate at that speed.......then one uses the brake again...and repeats the process....good, when having to double de-clutch.

Today's drivers ignore the process of early, steady speed control approaching an obstacle...they simply scream up to it at full speed, then stand on the brake pedal to slow...relying,as one does these days, on technology to make such antics perfectly all right. [ABS, tyre technology, brake technology, etc]

Observing laden artics hurtling down Garrowby Hill at 50 mph-plus [it is steep enough to warrant a runaway  gravel trap]....without any obvious thought about brake fade, or speed control, makes me wonder if those drivers have ever experienced the effects on speed control, overheated brakes can have?  Or, if they actually care?

The days when drivers struggled to maintain control of vehicles, using sheer skill, are over, I think.

• RMweb Premium

Can someone tell me why police patrol vehicles, operate in the outside lane solely, when not using blues or sirens. Have seen this all the time in Essex and Suffolk on the A12 and A14.

Having spent over 34 years working as a mechanic for  the police ( retired now ) I spent

a lot of time ferrying vehicles on the M5 between Weston Super Mare and Almondsbury

or the other way down to Taunton .

To try and do this causing as little disruption as possible was not easy , as my time was a

resource I could'nt waste it , so to drive along at 50 in the inside lane meant time wasted ,

do 65 to 70 in the middle lane when passing other slower traffic caused a tailback , because regardless

of the rules some m/way traffic is always doing 70 + , despite the traffic car carrying visual marking indicating it

was not on patrol people still did not feel confident to pass it . So the easiest and probably the safest was

to do a naughty 75 in the outside lane , this kept traffic flowing and meant I did'nt waste to much time

away from the spanners .

Not the right way to do things probably , but neither I or any of my fellow workers ever got into trouble

and this was how we all did it .

Re-the 'lump hammers?'

If anyone on here, or indeed, on any other bit of the public highway, finds such antics 'scary'....then the answer is simple....stay well clear!

Of course, if anyone on here is prone to overtaking, forming a 'third ' line of traffic, [on a single carriageway road] and getting their vehicle within 18 inches of whatever they are overtaking, then, lump hammers or no, they deserve to be thoroughly frightened indeed.

Anyhow, to re-enforce the levels of anxiety posted on here, I've been out & about today [as I am most days].....driving around in a couple of tonnes equipped with rusty scaffolding poles bolted to the front...left rusty so as to encourage early onset of septicemia in those who get far too close for their comfort....

Sadly, the vast majority of road users I encountered actually remained a discrete distance behind me.

Something I like immensely..having empty roads stretching out in front........

Re-the use of gears to 'slow ' a vehicle...and the driving test ?

Use of gears effectively & correctly is assessed...if the candidate has that sort of control over the gearbox, that is.

The two main errors displayed when using the gears are...''too low a gear, for too high a road speed'.....and 'too high a gear for too low a road speed'..

If my meaning is understood?

The former is often displayed when attempting to 'use the gears to slow the vehicle'.

However, there is nothing preventing a thoughtful driver from actually using the engine braking effect to support the wheel brakes, as needed, when controlling one's speed...something drivers of older, heavy vehicles would have to do frequently.

Thus, one uses the brake, to slow...then one changes gear to one that s appropriate at that speed.......then one uses the brake again...and repeats the process....good, when having to double de-clutch.

Today's drivers ignore the process of early, steady speed control approaching an obstacle...they simply scream up to it at full speed, then stand on the brake pedal to slow...relying,as one does these days, on technology to make such antics perfectly all right. [ABS, tyre technology, brake technology, etc]

Observing laden artics hurtling down Garrowby Hill at 50 mph-plus [it is steep enough to warrant a runaway  gravel trap]....without any obvious thought about brake fade, or speed control, makes me wonder if those drivers have ever experienced the effects on speed control, overheated brakes can have?  Or, if they actually care?

The days when drivers struggled to maintain control of vehicles, using sheer skill, are over, I think.

you will probley find that those hgvs arent even using the service break at all but are instead running with the retarder on the engine switched on only needing to use the footbrake if actualy needing to stop also most new hgvs are fitted with fully auto gearboxes which act in the same way 

• RMweb Premium

Of course, if anyone on here is prone to overtaking, forming a 'third ' line of traffic, [on a single carriageway road] and getting their vehicle within 18 inches of whatever they are overtaking, then, lump hammers or no, they deserve to be thoroughly frightened indeed.

As a cyclist I can assure you that vast numbers of people leave less than 18" room and overtake in stupid places. It's never once occurred to me to wave a lump hammer at them though, that's absurd behaviour, and utterly indefensible!

Works well at night when the goose in front sits at the lights after they have changed to green, because they're sending that vital text message advising that they're running late for dinner! It's quite Ok in those circumstances, surely?

That requires a slightly different hand gesture!

As a cyclist I can assure you that vast numbers of people leave less than 18" room and overtake in stupid places. It's never once occurred to me to wave a lump hammer at them though, that's absurd behaviour, and utterly indefensible!

But good for the soul!

I find it absurd that cyclists are happy to tolerate such potentially fatal overtaking distances on the part of motorists!

Perhaps some cyclists secretly sympathise with drivers, and see themselves as the sole cause of the driver's dilemma? IE,how does the driver deal with something, which the driver thinks has no business being there?

Lump hammers are amazingly defensible....but, what do I care......

Edited by alastairq

I could ask what is wrong with young women driving towards me on the wrong side of the road because of obstacles! I have concluded 'Right of way' to a women must be the biblical 'women and children first' especially when they shake their hand at me because I have the temerity to be in their path of righteousness. Why hadn't my car evaporated?...Why was it in their way? What was wrong with me? Hadn't I seen her highness coming?   :smoke:

I could ask what is wrong with young women driving towards me on the wrong side of the road because of obstacles! I have concluded 'Right of way' to a women must be the biblical 'women and children first' especially when they shake their hand at me because I have the temerity to be in their path of righteousness. Why hadn't my car evaporated?...Why was it in their way? What was wrong with me? Hadn't I seen her highness coming?   :smoke:

Maybe they are irresistibly drawn to you?

• RMweb Gold

Can someone tell me why police patrol vehicles, operate in the outside lane solely, when not using blues or sirens. Have seen this all the time in Essex and Suffolk on the A12 and A14.

To make themselves more visible and to act as a rolling roadblock for the speed merchants that are among us

• RMweb Premium

She's on the school run (all 200 yards of it) in her Chelsea Tractor and you dare to get in her way. :jester:

When two women confront each other bonnet-to-bonnet on the path of righteousness, it is the stuff of sitcoms.... "Why did you set off when you saw me coming?"  ...."'Cos I had the right-of-way"....... "Fukc the right-of-way you silly cow, was I supposed to jump over you?".....  :mosking:

Quite simply they are totally selfish and have no regard to anyone else or rules of the road. A good tip is to buy an old car with dents on, they do think twice about playing chicken, but do keep to your side of the white line when doing so

This is one of the reasons for leaving North London, they make just as bad neighbours as drivers. Try shopping with them about and its not just the women, their husbands are just as bad. Still I loved to seeing them square up to each other, our northern friends have a good description of them, fur coats and nickers come to mind  :jester:

I could ask what is wrong with young women driving towards me on the wrong side of the road because of obstacles! I have concluded 'Right of way' to a women must be the biblical 'women and children first' especially when they shake their hand at me because I have the temerity to be in their path of righteousness. Why hadn't my car evaporated?...Why was it in their way? What was wrong with me? Hadn't I seen her highness coming?  

You are quite right, but there I do think you have to cut a little slack, because what they are actually doing is worrying for the rest of us; well, the male half of the population anyway.

"I hope Roxelana's teacher doesn't give her fractions again for homework because I don't have a clue"

"Do hope my bum doesn't look too enormous in this"

"Wonder if Ptolemy is coming down with something, he didn't finish his weetabix"

Oh damn I haven't told Liz that I cannot make it Thursday"

"What's that noise the car is making now"

"Will George mind If I call him at the office and ask if he wants the potatoes dauphinoise or gratinee"

And so on: I had no idea of the inner 'worry talk track' of women until I married one.

• RMweb Premium

But good for the soul!

I find it absurd that cyclists are happy to tolerate such potentially fatal overtaking distances on the part of motorists!

Perhaps some cyclists secretly sympathise with drivers, and see themselves as the sole cause of the driver's dilemma? IE,how does the driver deal with something, which the driver thinks has no business being there

Ah yes, violence is clearly the answer! They can't pass to close if you break their fingers with your hammer eh?!

No idea what the sympathy thing is about. I have a car as well, like most cyclists. I am not one or t'other. You suggest there's always malice on part of drivers who pass too close. I would suggest that's not always the case, some are distracted, or drivers!

You are quite right, but there I do think you have to cut a little slack, because what they are actually doing is worrying for the rest of us; well, the male half of the population anyway.

"I hope Roxelana's teacher doesn't give her fractions again for homework because I don't have a clue"

"Do hope my bum doesn't look too enormous in this"

"Wonder if Ptolemy is coming down with something, he didn't finish his weetabix"

Oh damn I haven't told Liz that I cannot make it Thursday"

"What's that noise the car is making now"

"Will George mind If I call him at the office and ask if he wants the potatoes dauphinoise or gratinee"

And so on: I had no idea of the inner 'worry talk track' of women until I married one.

I've got one too. It's an old model that is skilled in food preparation, washing and ironing, but the main drive cannot receive upgrades for modern times.  So cars, typewriters, TV zappers, computers, light bulbs and left-from-right are beyond its ken. I hope my new SatNav wasn't designed by a woman...."You didn't turn off half a mile back" ...."Turn this way, no not that way, this way"......"You've passed sale at M&S"..... "Why dont you just turn back ~ we're lost!"   :swoon:

Edited by coachmann

....I hope my new SatNav wasn't designed by a woman...."You didn't turn off half a mile back" ...."Turn this way, no not that way, this way"......"You've passed sale at M&S"..... "Why dont you just turn back ~ we're lost!"   :swoon:

Now you know why God made Man first..... :jester:

The other day traffic was snarled just up the road from where I live, so I turned left into a very small street I never normally use, it's a bit of a complication round there. Yes, a woman driver was heading my way, on "my" side of the road, waving her arms. I stopped, she pulled alongside politely saying "this is a one way street !!" - I looked around - OOOPS !! - so it was, and it was me going the wrong way !!!  A quick apology from me and we both went on our way.

Couldn't believe it, just up the road from where I have lived for over 20 years as well.

Nuff said !!!!!

Brit15