The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

I suppose if you were driving over grass verges and you failed to stop at a red light, you could mow down a pedestrian. ;-)

If I'm on grass, I prefer to mow that down......

Cheers,

Mick

Cycling standards today.

If that was me and I'd caught him up I might be tempted to give the D-lock a bit of a swing.

But we are constantly told that all cyclists are fantastic and its always the fault of the horrible car or in this case lorry driver!

Seriously though that was <bleeping> close!

• RMweb Gold

Must be '***wit Aggressive Young Driver Day'. Nearly got hit by one not lawfully giving way just now.

...or..... 'Maybe I Can't Be Bothered To Indicate Day' by two others.................. :rolleyes_mini:  :rolleyes_mini:

• RMweb Premium

Was on a bus this morning, going back to the car, when the driver braked sharply, then hooted long and hard, when white van man cut across him from the right turn lane into the left turn lane and went right across the bus's nose.  No signal that I could see, just decided to go the other way at the junction.

• RMweb Premium

Well I've just been moaned at a  mini roundabout. Well a double one actually.

I had traversed the first and was second in the queue waiting at the second and hence was briefly blocking entrance to the first  roundabout for anyone joining from the  road on my left. A car approached the opposite direction to turn right and the driver was most upset that I was blocking his path.

If he had gone around the roundabout he could have sailed past my back bumper no problem, but because he decided that using the wrong side of the roundabout was bettter he got stuck. 

Does an extra 10 yards on the journey make that much difference?

Andy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Surprisingly and unusually last night coming back home from DRAG a bus right in front of me went straight through a red and I very nearly followed it if it hadn't been for my passenger!

So it can happen even to PSV drivers!

• RMweb Premium

But we are constantly told that all cyclists are fantastic and its always the fault of the horrible car or in this case lorry driver!

Seriously though that was <bleeping> close!

Are we? I thought the best way to murder someone was to give them a bike and then run them over. It's never the fault of the driver, they get called naughty and fined a week's pocket money.

Mad skills by the Boris bike rider though for holding that together. Other bloke deserves to have his shorts filled with sharp sand and made to ride laps of Elephant & Castle.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Two for the price of one!

That's scary and brings this topic back to earth with a bump.

However, just to stay in topic for a little longer with no side references to grass verges etc, here's what happened to my Peugeot 207 a month after I bought it, when a clown who was not looking forward or sideways decided to come off of his forecourt and onto a main A road.

post-103-0-65239700-1468858846_thumb.jpg

Car was almost written off,  and had I not been very forceful with the insurer, it would have been.  It was off the road for several months, largely waiting for a body panel to be maufactured in France as RHD 207 body panels are not always available off the shelf, and the repairer did a trawl of all the parts suppliers.  The write off was going to be as a result of the ongoing costs of the hire car.  It was the hidden damage to the inner sills and door frame which caused most of the problem.

Edited by 45156

Three things you need at the very least in a dashcam:

• Needs to start recording automatically without you having to press anything.
  • Needs to be unobtrusive enough to leave in the car permanently
  • Needs to record continuously without filling up (or crashing)

Otherwise sod's law states the thing won't be running when you have an accident. 

LIdl are floggin' in-car cameras, for a very reasonable sum, in their Monday sale........I'm no expert on things like this, but they look very reasonable and capable...especially for the price?  3 year guarantee, too!

as stated before i have one of those £19.99 ones bought from a petrol station had it for four months with no problems with an 8gb memory card records eight five minute blocks before it starts to overwright the first one if you have an incident you can save that block to the memory  the memory screen folds up and whole thing fits in my normal pocket does what ir says on the tin .

did see on another forum one built into the rear of a rear view mirror which is a logical step how long before this is the latest must have piece of kit in new cars 

• RMweb Premium

Witnessed a damn fool reversing today whilst not looking behind. Nearly took me and two other pedestrians out.

Bl&&dy invalid scooters are a menace.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1

Three things you need at the very least in a dashcam:

• Needs to start recording automatically without you having to press anything.
  • Needs to be unobtrusive enough to leave in the car permanently
  • Needs to record continuously without filling up (or crashing)

Otherwise sod's law states the thing won't be running when you have an accident. 

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that if it's evidence is to be used in a court of law then it needs gps too.

• RMweb Premium

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that if it's evidence is to be used in a court of law then it needs gps too.

Seems an very odd requirement. If you have evidence of - for example - someone pulling straight out in front of you causing a collision I wouldn't have thought a GPS location (or timestamp) would contribute much.

• RMweb Premium

Seems an very odd requirement. If you have evidence of - for example - someone pulling straight out in front of you causing a collision I wouldn't have thought a GPS location (or timestamp) would contribute much.

Evidence of speed?