The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

There is nothing in the Highway Code that says a flash of headlights is to let you pass** - in fact just the opposite! A flash of headlights from another road user is to make you aware of their prescence, which is why I always ignore those that flash to give me priority.

(**unless it is a recent update that I have missed - and that goes against everything that I have been taught since 1967!)

Stewart

If an oncoming vehicle in Europe flashes you - it usually means it's coming through......

Flash of headlamps is just like a horn "to alert other road users of your presence."

Some may remember the "crash for cash" scams, the latest is "flash for cash". You want to turn right from a main road and the oncoming vehicle flashes it's headlights. You move to turn right and they run into you. As far as the law is concerned, you've pulled across their path.

It's a war out there.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

As always, a very sound post from Mick, couldn't have put it better.  

As for the bus driver mentioned above, yep, he should have done better to read the road and the situation.  That said, the numpty that was parked half on the kerb who set off in front of me a few weeks ago didn't do much to help himself - expecting him to accelerate away, I eased off, but nope, he swung across the road to reverse in to the driveway he'd been parked just before - no matter how good I was reading the situation was going to bring 19 tonnes of bus+passengers to a stop anywhere other than up his back end with not enough room to reverse*.  Had he mirror-signal-manoevered he could have a.) thought "there's a bus coming, I'll wait" or b.) given me a batter chance of knowing his intention and give him room to manoevre.  But anyway, following Mick's point, what I was going to say when I started typing was that I once made the "mistake" of flashing a car that started signalling left and moving into my lane as I was overtaking in Germany, as it appeared he hadn't been aware of me approaching quickly in lane 3.  What I realised as I did it was that it was a yellow (=British) number plate on his boot lid, and of course he took it as a sign to move out... 

*Yes, I could physically have stopped much quicker.  You don't want to be on a bus that does though.  Hence also why you might see me with my nose over the stop line at a set of lights, for example, because I've increased my braking distance to give as smoother gentle stop as I can without encroaching into the junction.  (and yes, before you all start bleating about bus drivers thinking they own the road and can do what they like, I know where I should stop, but would you want me to throw your elderly grandmother against the windscreen for the sake of a bit of white paint?  Sometimes its the spirit of the law which matters not the exact letter).  Incidentally, I find I do this more often at LOW speed than when doing, say, 25 or 30, because at 30 I can cross the line on amber and get all 18.75m of the bus clear of the junction before the other traffic starts to move, at 10 or 15 miles an hour in the city centre or in busy traffic, if I'm crossing the stop line as the lights start to change, the lights for other traffic would be at green before I'm safely clear of the junction, especially at a wide junction.  Sorry, enough rambling, lets get back to getting annoyed with muppets... 

Edited by JDW
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Coachman - the traffic problems that you write of were caused by the bus driver not anticipating the actions of the car driver, not something I would have expected from a "professional driver.

I'm sorry, but that's an unfair accusation to make when you don't know the full circumstances. Still, such broad generalisations and assumptions are common these days. Sadly, many of the motorists who make these assumptions do not appear to be qualified to do so, by virtue of no large vehicle experience.

I shall be driving buses today and much of my effort will be down to anticipating the actions of car drivers, rather like trying to predict lottery numbers.

EDIT to correct typo.

Edited by Trevellan
  • Like 4

OK!

My Christmas Present from my Mondeo back seat driver has been sorted:

An hour long appraisal course for me with the driving instructor I talked to post #1239 - booked for after the New Year, just before my 78 birthday.

Now what's the best way to bone up on contemporary theory? (this thread identifies theory as a particular weakness among drivers)

dh

• RMweb Premium

OK!

My Christmas Present from my Mondeo back seat driver has been sorted:

An hour long appraisal course for me with the driving instructor I talked to post #1239 - booked for after the New Year, just before my 78 birthday.

Now what's the best way to bone up on contemporary theory? (this thread identifies theory as a particular weakness among drivers)

dh

A recent edition of The Highway Code isn't a bad starting point............ You can read it online.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Ive got that - but I understood there were simulated tests that would-be drivers use on line to battle harden prepare themselves.

dh

There are - search for driving theory test online. You will get lists and lists of questions.

But they don't often have a reason as to why the answer is such.

The DVSA official stuff is pretty good - books and CD-ROMs.

As for hazard perception videos - Ok for new/inexperienced drivers, but cynically I liken them to a video game - "if it moves, shoot it".

My preferred hazard perception test would be a running commentary.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 2

My statement - addressed to Coachmann - that Trevellan has quoted, is not an assumption but a statement of fact, as Trevellan then goes on to say that he will be driving buses and part of that is anticipating the actions of car drivers.

Coachmann, I might live in Grantham, and you might call me "an armchair ex-spurt", however I hold a motorcycle licence, a car licence and a licence for a HGV - I have also sat my additional 35hours drivers Certificate of Professional Competence.! My armchair during the week is the driving seat of a Scania 32tonne tipper.

Both you gentlemen are welcome to your opinions, and I shall have my opinion - and I suspect in this matter we will differ.

• Like 1

.....Coachmann, I might live in Grantham, and you might call me "an armchair ex-spurt", however I hold a motorcycle licence, a car licence and a licence for a HGV - I have also sat my additional 35hours drivers Certificate of Professional Competence.! My armchair during the week is the driving seat of a Scania 32tonne tipper.

Both you gentlemen are welcome to your opinions, and I shall have my opinion - and I suspect in this matter we will differ.

Your aggressive answer to Coachman sounds exactly like the reason my (diminutive) nurse/practitioner neighbour changed her small Nissan for some enormous Chelsea tractor to sit up higher to avoid being intimidated by Big 8 wheeler tipper drivers.

Is there too much testosterone on the roads these days.

dh

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

http://www.flynewsonline.com/2016/01/27/one-in-four-drivers-struggle-to-park-millions-of-motorists-admit-leaving-their-car-further-away-from-their-destination-if-it-means-they-find-an-easier-space/

Perhaps the 'parking assist' on modern motors is needed...mind you, if one of these 'auto park' devices is needed, perhaps one shouldn't be qualified to have a driving licence.

• RMweb Premium

Modern car styling can also cause problems. I drive a Hyundia i10, a nice economical and reliable car. However the shape of the rear of the car makes it impossible to see the rear quarters of the car where it tapers inwards and coupled with the high bottom edge of the rear window. I have had the car a few years now and I am well able to judge where I am going when reversing. I have also driven a Transit 17 seat minibus which I found a doddle to reverse despite its size, about twice the length of my car.

• RMweb Gold

In many years of driving I think I have only ever seen a handful of drivers with no lights, and they were quickly flashed at by other drivers and realised their mistake.

If there has been an increase I wonder if it is related to the appearance of the automatic setting on headlights and some people just assume that they are on.

• RMweb Premium

In many years of driving I think I have only ever seen a handful of drivers with no lights, and they were quickly flashed at by other drivers and realised their mistake.

If there has been an increase I wonder if it is related to the appearance of the automatic setting on headlights and some people just assume that they are on.

Hi

Even if the lights are on automatic I believe they still display the light symbol on the dashboard (my Astra does).

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Instrument panels lights that are lit as soon as the ignition goes on are a culprit.

Drivers see the instrument panel lit up, and with the extra illumination from other road users lights and street lights, drive off thinking their lights are on.

As for those driving on side lights, istr it's an offence to drive on side lights other than in a road subject to a 30 mph (or less) restriction.

It is also an offence to be stationary with your headlights on.  Even worse when they are parked(illegally) so that they are facing traffic.

That rule also applies when stopped at traffic lights, but it is one of those rules never enforced anymore.

I learned that when I was pulled over back in 1977, (The reason was I had turned right, then right, then right then left..I had taken a wrong turning and was getting back on the correct route. The police thought I was 'acting suspiciously').

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You turned right? Then right again? Then had the audacity to turn left?! I'm appalled. Should have locked you up there and then. Anyone knows you should have done a u turn at an inconvenient location, preferably in front of a lorry or bus. No wonder they stopped you...

I see a few people a day with no lights, or just DRLs, at night when I'm at work. Plus way too many cyclists. Sadly I'm never in a position to take a picture of my view of them, looking in my raindrop covered mirror through my spray-coated window, with just the headlights of the car in front and behind visible, and refracting in the raindrops, rendering Mr NoLights almost invisible. Yes, Mr NoLights, you can see me easily in my big, lit up bus, right in front of you. That doesn't mean I can see you...

You turned right? Then right again? Then had the audacity to turn left?! I'm appalled. Should have locked you up there and then. Anyone knows you should have done a u turn at an inconvenient location, preferably in front of a lorry or bus. No wonder they stopped you...

As seen on this week's "Traffic Cops", such a route whilst being followed by a Police car might be taken by a driver who is trying to check if they were being followed, especially if they have something to hide.

JDW, you forgot to include in the motorists manoeuvre the emergency braking as soon as they realised that they missed the turning/going the wrong way, the attempt at a u turn at the same time, without any use of indicators, and then the look of disgust on their faces when the bus following only just stops from turning their car into scrap but is so close to them they cannot complete the manoeuvre anyway, because it's your fault.

The above post can be considered funny or cynically realistic.

• RMweb Premium

JDW, you forgot to include in the motorists manoeuvre the emergency braking as soon as they realised that they missed the turning/going the wrong way, the attempt at a u turn at the same time, without any use of indicators, and then the look of disgust on their faces when the bus following only just stops from turning their car into scrap but is so close to them they cannot complete the manoeuvre anyway, because it's your fault.

Only too realistic - this manoeuvre killed a biker here last year.  Visitor tried a 3 point turn on a major (for us....) road.  Mirrors?  Presumably not.

• RMweb Premium

Saw a near miss in a traffic jam today

Merc in front of me decides to overtake the queue so he can turn off a hundred yards down the road, at the same time a Disco gets fed up and starts to turn around, Merc has to brake hard to avoid scratching the Disco bumper. Both in the worng I think.

Oh and found out the businesses near the road works (for a Lidl access) have lost over 75% of their business. They are after compensation.

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/li/traffic_and_travel.detail.9518259/

• RMweb Premium

I thought they suddenly stopped and did their turn anyway. The fact their on a motorway, is irrelevant.