The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

Ah, but if you own a De Lorean.....

One of the most unreliable cars in existance, apparently. The engine was made (IIRC) by Pergeot, and it would be lucky to reach 88 going downhill with a tailwind.

Highway code 104. Do not increase your speed when being overtaken. Slow down if necessary to let the overtaking vehicle pass and pull in.

That is the exact wording and no amount of wordy protestations or attempts to blur the issue will get away from the fact the you suggested the opposite as a 'better still ....and absolutely legal in every respect' option.

The highway code I have here lists it as rule 144. We're using it at work to challenge the new POS cruise control in the Scania trucks that slows down when it feels like it 'to save fuel' with no regard for what's actually going on around you.

• RMweb Gold

This might bring a smile to some faces.

One of our local safety camera vehicles was a Ford Connect van.

The driver was clocked by another speed camera doing 60 on a single carriage way road (national limit applied).

He did receive three points on his licence, plus the fine and the victim surcharge for exceeding the legal speed limit of that type of vehicle on a single carriageway road.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

oddly enough the speed limit on motorways was increased to 60mph for hgvs even though they now have to be limited to 56mph at the same time

The HGV speed limit for motorways has been 60mph for as long as I can remember, irrespective of the max 56mph speed limiters that they are required to have.

All the best

Katy

One of the most unreliable cars in existance, apparently. The engine was made (IIRC) by Pergeot, and it would be lucky to reach 88 going downhill with a tailwind.

A little unfair, it was powered by a 2.8 litre V6 which enabled 0-60 in 8.6 seconds and a top speed of 130mph, so quite capable of doing 88mph up quite a steep hill with a headwind. Mind you it still had a V8 sound dubbed over it on the movie...

• RMweb Premium

Twin wheels at the back (either side) of a transit style vehicle would limit it to 50mph, based on the various groups on my driving licence and what I'm now allowed to hire, or not.

Twin wheels has nothing to do with it. A Transit (or similar) with single wheels each side on the rear axle is still 50mph limit on a single carriageway.

But convert that same vehicle to a motorhome and it goes up to 60mph.........................

Car-derived vans such as those based on a Corsa or Fiesta are subject to car limits.

There are blurred lines when it comes to the likes of a Transit Connect/Renault Kangoo and I've yet to find out about the limit for these types of "small" van.

cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

The 2664cc Peugeot Renault Volvo engine, fitted to 604s, 30s, and 264, 265, 764, & 765

turbo version went in the Alpine gta v6 iirc 

was a thirsty beast in my 265 estate but it went like of a shovel gave one or two boy racers a shock away from the lights much to thier embarrassment 

• Like 2

Twin wheels has nothing to do with it. A Transit (or similar) with single wheels each side on the rear axle is still 50mph limit on a single carriageway.

'Twin Wheels' was stated to me as a first 'rule of thumb' when looking at the speed of Tranny styled Vans and Pickups, however, as classifications  seem to be changing over recent years (I expect that will be disputed) I concede that non-car derived vans are limited to 50mph on non-dual carriageways (for national speed limit).

But like a lot of Taxi's and Van's the drivers seem unaware of the limits as far as I can see....

Mind you, one of the national firm's delivery drivers contested the timings they was allowed for deliveries of parcels in Cornwall and challenged the firm to drive round their normal circuit in the time(s) allocated to them.

They drove round non-stop and ended up 15 minutes over the time allowed doing the max speed allowed (on the various roads) for most of the trip. Then factor in 60 deliveries and traffic... 

Overtaking

A lot of the issues are from people who think they are travelling fast enough for the road and that no one else is allowed to go faster, they get it into their heads that they are some sort of vigilante police.

However the person wanting to go faster may have better road knowleage, or be a better driver, or have a vehicle more suited to the road.

People being overtaken need to realise not everyone wants to travel at their speed, they need to allow for people wanting to travel legally at a more suitable speed for them.

That's fine - for folk who drive under the limit or insist on doing 35 no matter whether they are in a 30 or a 40 limit.

What about the likes of those who drive as close as reasonably possible to the limit?

At times, I've even tested this - if I drive at the speed limit plus 10% - it's still no where near fast enough for the overtakers.

Is there any wonder some get a bit vigilante?

• RMweb Premium

Better to delay everyone then?

Buses work to a timetable and being 'trapped' in a lay by because many drivers are selfish caused delays plays havoc with the timetable. Before criticising the transport authorities remember the root cause that made it neccessary was many of those same drivers that made it so.

'Twin Wheels' was stated to me as a first 'rule of thumb' when looking at the speed of Tranny styled Vans and Pickups, however, as classifications  seem to be changing over recent years (I expect that will be disputed) I concede that non-car derived vans are limited to 50mph on non-dual carriageways (for national speed limit).

But like a lot of Taxi's and Van's the drivers seem unaware of the limits as far as I can see....

Mind you, one of the national firm's delivery drivers contested the timings they was allowed for deliveries of parcels in Cornwall and challenged the firm to drive round their normal circuit in the time(s) allocated to them.

They drove round non-stop and ended up 15 minutes over the time allowed doing the max speed allowed (on the various roads) for most of the trip. Then factor in 60 deliveries and traffic... 

That is why their actual speed limits were added to the Highway Code.

In recent times the authorities realised the ability to identify CDV's was becoming difficult....the lines were being blurred.  The original laden weight rules were just too difficult to enforce, or follow, hence the laden weight limit was raised to 2 tonnes.

Now it's easy to identify the speeders....any sort of tranny-style van!  [and doubtless they all like to brag about how much weight they can carry?]

The big problem [as I see it] lies with the type of licence associated with the tranny-style van?

Being able to drive a 3.5 tonne [gross, or  MAM] van on a car licence [cat B] doubtless will lead folk to assume the vehicle also shares the same speed limits as a car?

However, like LGVs...with a 50 mph NSL rural, drivers see no harm in 'pushing' up to 55 or even 57 mph, given their awareness of how speed limits are enforced. Many simply could not care less.

And as long a the crash 'n burn statistics stay low, the enforcement authorities probably could think of better things to do with their limited time & manpower.

I foresee..[if sufficient complaint regarding driving standards is made] a time when all our single carriageway roads will have a maximum 50 mph limit. [That is probably hte mean average seed for cars at present, anyway?}

An overall 50 mph limit would then be very easy to enforce. [stick up a camera, then everyone gets done?]  ......

That is, if the authorities, and everyone else, can actually be bothered?  :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Being unable to meet delivery schedules was a related factor in a level crossing incident (I think a near miss), as the driver was to pre-occupied with keeping to time, rather than wondering what the big pair of flashing red lights actually meant.

Cheers,

Mick

Buses work to a timetable and being 'trapped' in a lay by because many drivers are selfish caused delays plays havoc with the timetable. Before criticising the transport authorities remember the root cause that made it neccessary was many of those same drivers that made it so.

Rather than the selfish delays from being stuck behind a slow accelerating vehicle with a couple of passengers stopping regularly and blocking the road.

When that is inflicted on drivers it is of little surprise that they don't want to let the bus out and get stuck behind it.

All the best

Katy

had a similar situation whilst working for crispey creme new routes and schedules brought in impossible to keep to found out they were done on an  un restricted 3.5t van on a sunday morning plus they were double manned . we on the other hand were driving restricted 7.5tonners single manned through weekday morning traffic 

Rather than the selfish delays from being stuck behind a slow accelerating vehicle with a couple of passengers stopping regularly and blocking the road.

When that is inflicted on drivers it is of little surprise that they don't want to let the bus out and get stuck behind it.

All the best

Katy

Worse when the bus just stops in between bus stops to let passengers off.

Another pet hate is the Gym users, why are they allowed to turn right where there are no right turns signs from their John Lloyd centre. Or (a different gym) just too lazy to drive a bit further into the gym's own car park, and just park in a private car park next door.

What really amazes me is women who have to park as close as they can to the supermarket doors, in spaces reserved for parents with very small children and disabled, normally in up market vehicles. I think our northern friends have a very good description for them "fur coat and no knickers", you would have thought women would be more sympathetic. Men can be just as bad, both are very selfish having no standards or manners. Having said that I would never park any where near one of those disabled/young child bays. Whilst the vast majority are excellent drivers, there are odd one's who are actually dangerous and should not be driving. I would never park a £300 car next to them let alone a £30,000+ one. The other day watched an Aston Martin (new) have 10 goes at reversing into a gap,   

• RMweb Gold

The big problem [as I see it] lies with the type of licence associated with the tranny-style van?

Being able to drive a 3.5 tonne [gross, or  MAM] van on a car licence [cat B] doubtless will lead folk to assume the vehicle also shares the same speed limits as a car?

I can see people falling for that assumption, maybe there should be a clearer definition of Goods vehicle in the categories (e.g. all <=3.5T under C1)

'Twin Wheels' was stated to me as a first 'rule of thumb' when looking at the speed of Tranny styled Vans and Pickups, 

That probably stems from some twin wheel vans being >3.5T gross weight (thinking of things like the bigger 4.5T Sprinters etc). However it is not at all reliable as a lot of Transits have twin wheels and are still only rated for 3.5T (as was my first ever van, an excellent drive in the snow! :D).

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's fine - for folk who drive under the limit or insist on doing 35 no matter whether they are in a 30 or a 40 limit.

What about the likes of those who drive as close as reasonably possible to the limit?

At times, I've even tested this - if I drive at the speed limit plus 10% - it's still no where near fast enough for the overtakers.

Is there any wonder some get a bit vigilante?

That does get silly, but then if someone is "on a mission", they will still get the odd one.

But then most fast drivers are happy behind someone doing near limit as long as they do not stop them passing on the nice straights.

And yes I did pull over once when towing when I started to get a small queue (about 5) after a really slow caravan pulled over after going 30 - 40 in a 60 for 30 odd miles.

Before they pulled over was end out of sight.

I booted past before they realised they had the wrong turning and the whole queue got past, next town went through, first layby let the rest past, got a few friendly waves. Yet I was towing near road limit! But still let the people past if there is a queue.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That is why their actual speed limits were added to the Highway Code.

In recent times the authorities realised the ability to identify CDV's was becoming difficult....the lines were being blurred.  The original laden weight rules were just too difficult to enforce, or follow, hence the laden weight limit was raised to 2 tonnes.

Now it's easy to identify the speeders....any sort of tranny-style van!  [and doubtless they all like to brag about how much weight they can carry?]

However, like LGVs...with a 50 mph NSL rural, drivers see no harm in 'pushing' up to 55 or even 57 mph, given their awareness of how speed limits are enforced. Many simply could not care less.

And as long a the crash 'n burn statistics stay low, the enforcement authorities probably could think of better things to do with their limited time & manpower.

I foresee..[if sufficient complaint regarding driving standards is made] a time when all our single carriageway roads will have a maximum 50 mph limit. [That is probably hte mean average seed for cars at present, anyway?}

An overall 50 mph limit would then be very easy to enforce. [stick up a camera, then everyone gets done?]  ......

That is, if the authorities, and everyone else, can actually be bothered?   :(

When it gets like that time to either hand it in or go out in style.

But do too many people and they will rebel.

Stupid low limits must be challenged.

Oh and max speeds can drop if limit raised as people do not feel like it is a pee take.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

In Australia, metropolitan type buses carry the sign as depicted here.

https://www.andersons.com.au/lawtalk/2014/may/when-do-i-have-to-give-way-to-metropolitan-buses/

So a portable Give Way to Buses sign. Does it make any difference to most drivers - of course not! Never heard of anyone getting booked for it.

• Like 2