The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Driving standards

hayfield

• RMweb Premium

That's before you even get on to the forgotten art of offside/offside turning at crossroads.

Not sure what you mean. :scratchhead:

When I learnt to drive (when the man in a red flag walked in front :jester: ) it was the accepted way, but these days it is not AFAIK recommended any more and many junctions are actually laid out to do the nearside/nearside manoeuvre.

IMHO doing it the old way just causes hold ups.

Keith

Not sure what you mean. :scratchhead:

When I learnt to drive (when the man in a red flag walked in front :jester: ) it was the accepted way, but these days it is not AFAIK recommended any more and many junctions are actually laid out to do the nearside/nearside manoeuvre.

IMHO doing it the old way just causes hold ups.

Keith

Sorry, in my head the crossroads were without filter lane markings.

Highway code 181 still suggests it is safer.

Sorry, in my head the crossroads were without filter lane markings.

Highway code 181 still suggests it is safer.

Nah. The best way to approach a side road is facing it. When you approach the junction keep to the nearside, but indicate right. Once your front wheels are level with the start of the junction, turn hard right a pull the handbrake. You should stop safely facing the junction at 90 degrees. Now you can drive straight over once the oncoming traffic clears. ;)

P.S. Its only a theory and is yet unproven. I accept no responsibility whatsoever if anyone tests it.....

This thread has made it to a thousand posts, I and many others I guess didn't expect it to go much further than 100 posts before being closed. (Being such a contentious subject?)

Phil,

I think that's because, with only a few exceptions, there has not been direct personal attacks or outright verbal violence?

I've long been used to the erratic, free-form or plain lunatic driving encountered in many parts of the world.

Italian parking used to be in a class of its own, I remember my wife's verdict on Naples as "the third-place playoff in the Blind Parking championships" but plenty of places are just as bad.

Driving standards and practices in FSU countries tend to be pretty wild, with Russia probably the worst, although I wouldn't be dogmatic about it.

East European truck drivers completely ignore "driving hours" restrictions, and also may well lack experience of driving on the left, or around roundabouts (I've never seen a roundabout in Russia) with predictable results.

Indian driving is absolutely appalling. Chinese is worse, but the sheer weight of traffic in India (and Pakistan, for that matter) puts it ahead by a nose..

Of course, our multi-cultural utopia means you can now see all this near you...

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

One thing that annoys me is that no one seems to bother to move over to the centre of the road when turning right nowadays. They prefer to sit in the middle of the carriageway with a queue of vehicles behind them, or even sometimes from close to the left hand kerb. I do try to leave enough room where possible for traffic to pass on my nearside when turning right and even then some cockwomble coming the other way objected to having to move over slightly by sounding his horn and gesticulating.

And yet I was taught that you do not pass on the left side (unless in marked lanes) as the person turning right may well of let someone out from the junction he wants to enter.

To turn my truck left into my drive I have to move to the centre of the road, even with a left indicator there are still numpties who try and undertake.

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday I was following a learner on a moped type thing, I was wondering why he was swerving over the road, the bike looked new so perhaps it was his first outing or perhaps he was a bit nervous and then I noticed the mobile phone in his hand ...

:punish:

• RMweb Premium

And yet I was taught that you do not pass on the left side (unless in marked lanes) as the person turning right may well of let someone out from the junction he wants to enter.

To turn my truck left into my drive I have to move to the centre of the road, even with a left indicator there are still numpties who try and undertake.

IIRC when learning to drive (nearly 50 years ago now!) I was taught to pull over to the right as far as it was safe to do so to allow following traffic to pass. One thing I do not do is pull out of a side turning even if someone indicates they are giving way without checking that it is safe to do so. Also traffic turning into a side road has priority and should only give way to emergency vehicles using 'blues and twos' so I rely on my own judgement as to whether I make a manoeuvre. Obviously the drivers who when turning right and don't position their cars properly are not using their mirrors as they are completely unaware of the queue that they are creating.

• RMweb Premium

The popularity of BMW's in recent years, with the Top Gear team saying they were now the mondeo-man, makes me wonder if their dodgy maneuvering is down to being new to driving automatics. I am assuming they are all automatics like Mercs?  It's all clog & brake whereas with a stick one has to drop down to make a nippy move.

Actually a BMW owner explained it.

Enthusiasts buy the M range, the interesting ones, the big engined ones. The coupes. If not rich will save and get a 5 year old M5 or 530D

The plebs buy the basic ones simply due to they perceive it to be a premium brand.

The ones driven by knobs are often the bottom of range ones.

I can remember two 5 series driven by prats,

518 and 520

Never seen an M5 driver being a prat.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One thing that annoys me is that no one seems to bother to move over to the centre of the road when turning right nowadays. They prefer to sit in the middle of the carriageway with a queue of vehicles behind them, or even sometimes from close to the left hand kerb. I do try to leave enough room where possible for traffic to pass on my nearside when turning right and even then some cockwomble coming the other way objected to having to move over slightly by sounding his horn and gesticulating.

This REALLY gets on my nerves

• Like 1

I bet Christian Horner may be a tad worried with an $18Bn fine/compensation from the USA hanging over VW/Audi’s head like the proverbial sword.....

If you can't do the time etc...

• RMweb Gold

Are we going to see everyone and his brother piling onto VW/Audi now? I bet Christian Horner may be a tad worried with an $18Bn fine/compensation from the USA hanging over VW/Audi’s head like the proverbial sword.....

Best, Pete.

He married Ginger spice, the fine is the least of his worries..

Are we going to see everyone and his brother piling onto VW/Audi now? I bet Christian Horner may be a tad worried with an $18Bn fine/compensation from the USA hanging over VW/Audi’s head like the proverbial sword...

VW just happened to get caught in the act. All major manufacturers cheat to some degree when it comes to official tests.

• RMweb Premium

Reading this as I have done since the start makes me glad that I got rid of my car back in 2004 and now use trains to go on my trips around the country.

Even when I was driving I found that the rule of Mirror - Indicator - Manouvre was used outside large cities but inside the M25 and other large cities it changed to:-

Manouvre - Jump into the gap before anyone else does!

Indicator - To let everyone know what you have just done!

Mirror - To see how big a pile up you have caused!

Trains are so much nicer!

• RMweb Premium

This thread has made it to a thousand posts, I and many others I guess didn't expect it to go much further than 100 posts before being closed. (Being such a contentious subject?)

I reckon the Mods are trying an experiment & will only lock it, if this thread gets really bad. Think of the 'Dislike' button trial, with the resultant complaints.

I see the French have just made a statement about checking VW/Audi diesel vehicles (along with “other cars”) = we can guess which manufacturers will be checked last...

Best, Pete.

Oh to be a lawyer when such happy times are here!!

This is surely going to be the legal equivalent of the Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Edited by Pacific231G