The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

spookily enough there was a programme about Porton Down on BBC4 just now.

IIRC most western countries' justification for possessing banned chemical/biological compounds was "how can we ever find a cure/antidote to something if we don't have some to experiment on?"

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree

Since Microsoft now run their own security software, Norton et al are history for some of us. 

Defender now in place of McAfee which BT provide and which I suspect monitors what we are doing - certainly McAfee slows the machine down.

Thanks

Ray

Norton Utilities was good, back in the day, but then Peter Norton's stuff got taken over by the outfit I mentioned back in post 901. 'Nuff said.

This is the same that happens with many things. Bought out by a larger company, who don't care, or do not understand the way it worked,

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree

Defender now in place of McAfee which BT provide and which I suspect monitors what we are doing - certainly McAfee slows the machine down.

Thanks

Ray

Always found McAfee a PITA and not very good at catching the crap it's supposed to do.

Had a few nasties get through which I have never had (Tempting providence!) with Kaspersky

My Brother in law found had exactly the same experience and yes, it was resource hungry as well.

Mind you Kaspersky are probably tracking everything back to the Kremiln :jester:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Since Microsoft now run their own security software, Norton et al are history for some of us. 

Please tell me you are not using Windows Defender to secure your PC.  Even Microsoft themselves don't regard it as a serious security product.

• RMweb Premium

You can't seriously consider running Windows if you want a secure PC.

You can't seriously consider connecting to the internet if you wan't a secure PC :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Well, after much prompting from MS and blatant attempts to do it for me, I have finally downloaded W10 (before the threatened deadline). Took several hours but largely went without a hitch. Lost CorelDraw 12 (or at least some of it) but was able to do a repair using the CorelDraw CDrom. Part of the Canon printer software went AWOL as well, but again sorted now. All other programmes (or Apps as we must now call them) seemed to work alright.

Initial impressions? Seems a bit faster than W7 and has overcome a couple of instability issues I was having. Not overly keen on the "tablet" approach but I guess we'll get used to that. After all, it's for the benefit of the younger generation who seem to be permanently attached to their communication devices.

• RMweb Premium

Well, after much prompting from MS and blatant attempts to do it for me, I have finally downloaded W10 (before the threatened deadline). Took several hours but largely went without a hitch. Lost CorelDraw 12 (or at least some of it) but was able to do a repair using the CorelDraw CDrom. Part of the Canon printer software went AWOL as well, but again sorted now. All other programmes (or Apps as we must now call them) seemed to work alright.

Initial impressions? Seems a bit faster than W7 and has overcome a couple of instability issues I was having. Not overly keen on the "tablet" approach but I guess we'll get used to that. After all, it's for the benefit of the younger generation who seem to be permanently attached to their communication devices.

If you don't like the tablet approach (I don't), then you can install Classic Shell & get the old menu style back. Other than that, Win 10 works well for me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Microsoft's Windows 10 Anniversary Update is about to become available - next Tuesday for everyone.  As I'm registered for Insider Preview, it was available to me from yesterday so I've been checking it out today. 

It's a full replacement with a version number of 1607, and the install process is much the same as with the 1511 version that came out in November last year. It took about 35 minutes on my main PC, but a lot longer on a slower laptop (about 90 minutes).

The only noticeable change is that the start button and the list of apps is now combined.  It makes a lot of sense and means you can access apps in one click rather than having to click the start button, and then "all apps".

So far only a couple of minor issues: I use BT Mail and this started saying that IE 11 was an unsupported browser. The problem was due to compatibility settings and was resolved by going into IE, selecting tools -> compatibility view settings and then unchecking the box "use Microsoft compatibility lists".  Also I used a download that defaulted to US English but it's easy enough to change that back (Control Panel -> Language).

There are many other new things no doubt, but not many of much use on a bog-standard desktop PC like mine!

The version number is 1607 and the OS build shows as 14393.5.

Edited by RFS

• RMweb Premium

A friend of mine tried to upgrade to Win 10 last week. It got stuck with the wheel spinning, it was left for 3 days without any joy.

After following a new link, it started yesterday morning & about 8 hours later it was done.

I spoke to him later & he said that it was working & he liked Win 10.

Half an hour later I get a message.

'I can't find Google, or my programs, or my password. I need it for the computer' Oh well.

Probably the problem with Google is that MS has defaulted to Bing - useless!

Looks like I have to go get him sorted.

As a last minute throw everything to the wind type thought after weeks of more  thought, we eventually loaded W10.  Not as simple as they said but only took an hour or so.  Had much the same problems as has been already mentioned which were annoying and in some cases, frustrating.  After a few days of further frustration it has finally settled down to the point I can switch it on without trepidation, at least up to now.

There's not much advantage over W7 which I've used for ages and I can't fathom what all the fuss has been about or why I bothered.

Brian.

The W10 Anniversary update seems to keep most settings if you disabled a lot of system activities. It does put Cortana back on the taskbar if you have removed it but  a right click allows it to be  removed and it is not active. Classic Shell, if installed, needs to be reinstalled (there is  a new version for W10 Anniversary). Also you may need to reactivate any non MS  internet security software to some extent as appropriate. And of course there is already an update to the update! If you have set your pc to skip entering a password at logon that no longer happens without redoing it.

Edited by Butler Henderson