The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

My laptop apparently tried and failed to install KB4032188 a number of times  but now has installed the later KB4034674 so presumably has the KB4032188 bits as a result. The side effect was the battery power icon vanished from the taskbar near the clock; to get it back I had to go into Device Manager, disable both Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (both under Batteries) and then re-enable  them.

One of my PCs installed KB4034674 on 09/08/17 but since then has tried to install KB4032188 and failed! (twice). Not surprising since it has been superceded.

Keith

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had to help a friend with his Win 10 Laptop.

Complained that for 18 hours, it just sat there with the Windows Restart wheel spinning endlessly. Couldn't even turn it off apparently.

So I went along and as described it was just spinning around & around. I decided it must have locked up. So held in the power button for 4 seconds and CLUNK = OFF!

He looked at me as if was going to throw it through the window, no wonder its called Windows!

Obviously, he hadn't pressed the button for long enough!

Next trick was to turn it back on again. Well it did, but took quite a while, a good 5 minutes. Eventually opened fine.

Next question - I can't open attachments to emails.

OK, turned out to be a Word document in Outlook. Click that and its opened a 2010 Starter Edition and wanting to become a paid version. Do you want to buy it?

No, was the answer. So I downloaded Libre Office and changed some defaults to open in Libre Office, so far all good.

Three quarters of an hour and one happy man.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I had to help a friend with his Win 10 Laptop.

Complained that for 18 hours, it just sat there with the Windows Restart wheel spinning endlessly. Couldn't even turn it off apparently.

So I went along and as described it was just spinning around & around. I decided it must have locked up. So held in the power button for 4 seconds and CLUNK = OFF!

He looked at me as if was going to throw it through the window, no wonder its called Windows!

Obviously, he hadn't pressed the button for long enough!

Next trick was to turn it back on again. Well it did, but took quite a while, a good 5 minutes. Eventually opened fine.

Next question - I can't open attachments to emails.

OK, turned out to be a Word document in Outlook. Click that and its opened a 2010 Starter Edition and wanting to become a paid version. Do you want to buy it?

No, was the answer. So I downloaded Libre Office and changed some defaults to open in Libre Office, so far all good.

Three quarters of an hour and one happy man.

IT's a pity you don't get any proper computer manuals these days.

Many of the "problems" would be listed as what to do next if such and such happened and IMHO would mean less aggro for all concerned.

When I started with Win 3.1 I had a thick MS book all about it as well as another all about DOS 5.0. These were supplied with the computer.

Other software that had copious manuals were Corel Draw 3 (2 thick manuals) and Lotus Smartsuite 3 which had half a dozen manuals of varying thicknesses pertaining to each element of the package.

I've still got the content manual for Coreldraw and some of the Smartsuite manuals as the recent versions of both only have full manuals online (accessed from the help menu) which are a pain if the program doesn't work properly, because you can't access them!

Fortunately 90% of the content is common to the old versions!

These days if you want info on paper you have to buy manuals separately.

MS's own manuals are excellent (and expensive). Then you have the likes of "Dummies" & "In Easy Steps" ranges as well as others.

Keith

• Like 1

Even though "manuals" might have been provided with earlier versions of Windows, I always used to go out and buy one of the, usually very thick, alternative manuals which usually provided more explanation in more understandable language than the basic MS version. Interestingly, as I've only just realised, I haven't bought a manual since WinXP, and I haven't really felt the need as so much is available online, in forums, and on the MS website(although much of the latter tends to send you around in circles). Also, my computing needs are now fairly basic. I have more trouble with Android on my wife's tablet and phone - maybe I should buy a manual!!

Colin

• RMweb Premium

IT's a pity you don't get any proper computer manuals these days.

Many of the "problems" would be listed as what to do next if such and such happened and IMHO would mean less aggro for all concerned.

When I started with Win 3.1 I had a thick MS book all about it as well as another all about DOS 5.0. These were supplied with the computer.

Other software that had copious manuals were Corel Draw 3 (2 thick manuals) and Lotus Smartsuite 3 which had half a dozen manuals of varying thicknesses pertaining to each element of the package.

I've still got the content manual for Coreldraw and some of the Smartsuite manuals as the recent versions of both only have full manuals online (accessed from the help menu) which are a pain if the program doesn't work properly, because you can't access them!

Fortunately 90% of the content is common to the old versions!

These days if you want info on paper you have to buy manuals separately.

MS's own manuals are excellent (and expensive). Then you have the likes of "Dummies" & "In Easy Steps" ranges as well as others.

Keith

I can remember a late friend telling me that he learnt his computer knowledge, when he broke his leg. Being stuck at home, he went through all the settings in DOS whatever version & tried every setting!  He stated that many made no real difference, but some defaults were clearly wrong.

• RMweb Premium

One of the problems with some of the manuals available to buy is that they concentrate on one version only and as such go out of date very quickly meaning another edition needs to be published.

The next one then ignores the previous version so is useless for anyone still with that.

I've just been sorting through some of my old books and found one that was written specifically for Windows ME, which I never had!

I wonder why I bought it?

It's off to the charity shop if they want it.

keith

• RMweb Premium

I've just been sorting through some of my old books and found one that was written specifically for Windows ME, which I never had!

I wonder why I bought it?

It's off to the charity shop if they want it.

keith

Since Windows ME is no longer supported, people should not be using it. Personally I would not inflict it on a charity shop. Its now rubbish and belongs in the recycled bin. Unless you can find a computer museum that wants it.

• RMweb Premium

Since Windows ME is no longer supported, people should not be using it. Personally I would not inflict it on a charity shop. Its now rubbish and belongs in the recycled bin. Unless you can find a computer museum that wants it.

Some charities "recycle" old computers with out of date OS for use as cheap word processors etc. without having an internet connection, so are considered fine.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

My Windows 10 main desktop PC for some weeks has been suffering with all icons moving to the LH side of the screen.

Any attempt to put them back where they were would result in them all moving left again after a couple of re-boots.

I had tried all the fixes on the MS & other sites without a permanent solution.

It wasn't much hassle having them all down the left side so in the end I just left them as they were.

Today suddenly they have all have moved back more or less where they should be.

One or two are out of position ( I have added some icons and removed others in the meantime) but most are back where they originally were.

Very strange!

Keith

• RMweb Premium

My Windows 10 main desktop PC for some weeks has been suffering with all icons moving to the LH side of the screen.

Any attempt to put them back where they were would result in them all moving left again after a couple of re-boots.

Hi Keith,

Assuming you have unticked View > Auto arrange icons and View > Align icons to grid (right-click on the desktop), make sure your monitor(s) are switched on for 5 seconds before you switch on the computer. The problem is caused by Windows re-arranging the icons to suit a smaller screen because the resolution data isn't available from the monitor(s) in time.

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

I had a long update about ten days ago. A notice had come up about it giving the option of choosing a time for the update so I opted for '1 am tomorrow' expecting it to update overnight. I opened up my computer just before nine the following morning assuming the update had taken place. At nine o'clock the update started taking well over an hour to complete. Apparently the times were those in California at Microsofts HQ (Pacific summer time?) not BST which is eight hours ahead.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith,

Assuming you have unticked View > Auto arrange icons and View > Align icons to grid (right-click on the desktop), make sure your monitor(s) are switched on for 5 seconds before you switch on the computer. The problem is caused by Windows re-arranging the icons to suit a smaller screen because the resolution data isn't available from the monitor(s) in time.

Martin.

Did all that and the monitor is on well before the PC is booted up. It always is as power is switched on at the wall so that all the peripherals start up and then I boot up the PC.

I have another setup using three monitors and if I switch on with one or two only connected then they all shift around to fit the new setup but they do not move to the left.

When I reconnect the other monitor(s) I have to manually re-position them.

It's a known problem, that there have been all sorts of workarounds for, but none seemed permanent.

Such as resizing icons & rearranging, saving settings after changing them etc. eventually it all shifts back to the left.

However it now seems to have reverted to normal

Cheers

Keith

EDIT

Just booted up and they have all moved back to the left again after about three days!

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Further to the above.

The computer with the problem is the obly one of four in the household that does it.

It is also the most highly specified with a fast, Core i7 processor, plenty of memory and a Sata 3 SSD C: drive.

It boots up in a couple of seconds.

If using a command prompt 'cmd' you enter 'perfmon /rel' there are frequently modules that have "stopped working", none of the other 3 PCs show any errors.

post-6208-0-16214000-1505910740_thumb.jpg

It's always done this ever since I had Win10 through all it's iterations from the very first.

I suspect there may be a timing error somewhere where Windows is booting too fast for it's own good.

Maybe there are some settings to slow down the boot?

Keith

Edit add screengrab

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

I left the computer switched on.

Is it set to local time?

Mine seems to use that for everything.

My updates usually go through fairly quickly anyway, the last one KB4038788 dated 13/09/2017 was not particularly long winded. The slowest PC (SWMBO's Celeron laptop) took about 30mins.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

FYI: the Dutch Authority on Privacy protection has ruled that Win-10 violates Dutch Law by collecting data in an aggressive manner and not sufficiently informing the user about it. News report (in Dutch, obviously) Judgement itself. (again in Dutch)

Hardly likely to happen in the UK.

Probably find HM Government is actually paying MS for access to the information gathered.

Unfortunately UK subjects seem quite happy for snooping into their affairs and the Government has unprecedented access to the data, probably the most intrusive for a democracy.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

If you say so. But UK consumer organisations can go to court about it, as Dutch privacy laws are based on EU regulations that also adhere in the UK. IMO there's a reasonable chance of success if they do. :yes:

Only if they are quick about it. 

• RMweb Premium

If you say so. But UK consumer organisations can go to court about it, as Dutch privacy laws are based on EU regulations that also adhere in the UK. IMO there's a reasonable chance of success if they do. :yes:

Liberty are challenging the law.

The EU previous said some of it was illegal but AFAIK the UK passed the act anyway.

Keith

Only if they are quick about it. 

I would have clicked 'funny' but there is nothing funny about it. I am afraid that we are heading into into very deep, dark and stormy waters. Judging by what has happened to the value of the pound, I am not alone in this. I am seriously considering taking advantage of my right to Italian citizenship.

I have yet to find any advantage in Vista, 7 or 10* over XP and some things are worse. Sorting files for one: in XP they stayed where I wanted and displayed the image I wanted. Now the OS insists on sorting them in a specific order and displays an annoying open folder (or can't I drive it properly?).

* Luckily it seems, I avoided 8 and 8.1.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Now the OS insists on sorting them in a specific order and displays an annoying open folder (or can't I drive it properly?).

Well, er...

I find Windows 10 is great, and much more clearly laid out than earlier versions. Not sure which specific feature you are referring to, but in Windows Explorer you can set any sort order very easily. If you select the Details view you can click the column headings in the usual way and add or remove columns (right-click on the headings). For other views there is a Sort by drop-down:

file_explorer.png

All versions of Windows are very much the same in actual functionality once you start using the computer instead of looking at the Desktop. All the froth is about what's on the Desktop, and who spends more than 10 seconds looking at that before starting work? Most of the other changes are in IE/Microsoft Edge, and all that is just ignored by anyone using Firefox, Chrome or Opera. 

Martin.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Windows 10 Creators Update is out

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2017/10/17/whats-new-windows-10-fall-creators-update/

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/10/latest-windows-release-already-on-five-percent-of-windows-10-pcs/

Just installed it, will see what it's done to my machine next time I boot up...

Edit:

The machine survives, with just the loss of the desktop background colour and wallpaper (easily restored).  I've yet to explore the new features as I've only come on here and checked my email. 

All good... he says

Edited by Tim Dubya

I finally bit the bullet ( after a hard drive failure of an XP machine).

We now have a Win95, a Win ME, a Win XP, a Vista and a Win 10 on the premises!

All still do their jobs.

The 10 machine has an SSD drive and is a ridiculous advance over the previous machine. Only one programme has caused problems so far, 2003 software from a deceased provider with no obvious upgrade/replacement.

The Win95 machine will live on.

Lol.

• Like 1