The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Windows 10 . Anybody downloaded it yet?

melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Install Win-7 Pro?

I did say in the previous sentence " without changing laptop or operating system" knowing that exactly you would be along to suggest exactly that. Edited by Dagworth

• RMweb Gold

What actually is BeatsAudio software and what does it purport to do?

Keith

For this machine it is part of the Realtek high definition audio driver set-up. The audio functions absolutely beautifully on generic Windows drivers and does everything I want of it but every time it gets a windows update it re-installs the Realtek driver instead of the generic one.

I've an hp laptop, recent , but not used much. As I don't use it to play music, and the speakers are not brilliant, I've not noticed the problems that folk get with Beats audio, but I'm going to change the hdd soon, and see if I can get on a generic version of w10, instead of all the hp added bloatware. I did a quick web search on 'how to remove beats audio from hp laptop' and got a raft of solutions, all similar, and none seem to work beyond a w10 update - the driver is well tied into the audio card. I've used for years, a small program named 'winpatrol' - which may be able to disable beats from startup across w10 versions, I haven't tried it. I expect you'll just have to remember the steps required to change the driver after each update.

fwiw, I found some folk complaining that windows update had removed beats...

• RMweb Premium

I will try that later, I'll set it up to do that just before I go out for the day.

I'm confused by the fact that it hasn't updated to the Anniversary Update already.

I have run a program Belarc Advisor (with latest updates), which tells me that Win 10 is up to date, yet Windows tells me that the windows version is 1511, build 10586 so clearly isn't.

Taking encouragement from kevinlms' following the procedure suggested by Melmerby, I set the Upgrade away again early yesterday morning, having accepted a friend's invitation to spend the day at the Tanfield Railway. (Had a smashing day there.)

The preparation process went ok, taking less than an hour, but when I left the house the 'Working on updates' progress was 0%.

When I returned 6 hours later, progress was ... 0%.

Restoration of the previous Windows version was mercifully rapid, but my attitude now is 'what's the point, my laptop currently does what I want it to do, I'm not wasting any more time trying to install this. Nor do I want the latest version of Office, so I'll just keep ignoring the persistent prompts about that too.

Thanks and kind regards to those who've tried to help me through with this.

John

Edit for spelling

Edited by Brit70053

I've upgraded one win10 installation to the anniversary edition. It took a few goes, but the process fell over and gave an error code which led me to a fix. The next try also fell over with 2 error codes, but I decided to reboot and try again. It appears to have worked. I had to update Classic Shell.

It's all not as smooth as it should be and I can see why so many hanker after the days of Win XP, or now Win 7. It may not have been perfect, but it worked for most people most of the time, and once you changed something, in my experience it mostly stayed changed.

It rather feels as though Win 10 was rush released in order to kill W 8.1 quickly and also avoid people retaining Win 7 in the way they did Win XP.

I feel MS need to up their game.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Taking encouragement from kevinlms' following the procedure suggested by Melmerby, I set the Upgrade away again early yesterday morning, having accepted a friend's invitation to spend the day at the Tanfield Railway. (Had a smashing day there.)

The preparation process went ok, taking less than an hour, but when I left the house the 'Working on updates' progress was 0%.

When I returned 6 hours later, progress was ... 0%.

Restoration of the previous Windows version was mercifully rapid, but my attitude now is 'what's the point, my laptop currently does what I want it to do, I'm not wasting any more time trying to install this. Nor do I want the latest version of Office, so I'll just keep ignoring the persistent prompts about that too.

Thanks and kind regards to those who've tried to help me through with this.

John

Edit for spelling

Its not all roses here though.

I have another PC here running Vista, which hasn't been turned on for a couple of months (according to when it last checked for Windows updates). That has been running 'checking for Updates' for the past 24 hours now!

• RMweb Premium

I have another PC here running Vista, which hasn't been turned on for a couple of months (according to when it last checked for Windows updates). That has been running 'checking for Updates' for the past 24 hours now!

I hardly dare to post this, but I also have a desktop running Vista and to date I've experienced no problems with updates, other than when my Daughter returns here for a few days visit and the sleeping PC fires into action at an unearthly hour of the night to process at the behest of MS and disturbing the sleep of Daughter.

That was another off putting feature of the W10 process, MS suggested/ set the scheduled re start  "03:30 Tomorrow looks good" Might be alright for their time zone, but I can barely think of a less appropriate time for me or my household. :nono:

John

• RMweb Premium

That was another off putting feature of the W10 process, MS suggested/ set the scheduled re start  "03:30 Tomorrow looks good" Might be alright for their time zone, but I can barely think of a less appropriate time for me or my household. :nono:

John

Change it to something more amenable then.

And why is the PC still powered up in the middle of the night?

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Win 10 anniversary upgrade installed on my Lenovo Idea Pad Yoga 11s last week. The wifi stopped working so no internet connection (no Ethernet socket). I contacted Microsoft Support on Friday who rang me back. The level 1 support guy went through everything I had tried already. The end result was rolling the machine back to an earlier build of Win 10 so everything was back working again. He booked a level 2 technician call for today (I turned down Saturday and Sunday as I was visiting ScaleForum) who rang but he told me a fix might take 15-30 days and the development team are working on it...

• RMweb Premium

Change it to something more amenable then.

And why is the PC still powered up in the middle of the night?

Keith

Hi Keith, I opted to do the re start for the W10 Update  there and then (yesterday morning), hoping the update would be complete or at least well progressed by the time I returned from Tanfield. As stated :- Action on Updates was still 0% 6 hours later. I only commented on MS suggested time because it seemed that their convenience was under consideration, rather than mine as the 'customer'. There again they could have good reason for suggesting 03:30, such as low internet usage, but how would I know?

The Vista desktop PC tends to get left on 'Sleep' because booting takes it a long time these days, despite every effort to maintain optimum performance. This was one reason I bought the Laptop, which is generally vastly superior in performance.

Occasional absent mindedness about the state of the desktop PC plays its part  too, I have to admit.  Out of sight out of mind can apply I'm afraid.

Regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

Which it will continue to do ad-infinitum.

Microsoft have long since dropped any support for OS versions earlier than Windows 7 and rewritten the Windows Update software / web pages such that as such earlier versions of Windows will not be able to update themselves, however much they try.

If you are lucky Microsoft may still have the various service packs available elsewhere on their site which you may be able to manually download and apply, or alternatively you may find the necessary updates now being hosted on various 3rd party update sites (which obviously comes with a risk that the software could have been tampered with or include viruses, etc). Either way the onus is clearly on you to do the digging plus of course no further updates will be issued so the security of the machine will continue to be compromised more and more as time goes by.

Of course if the Vista machine is never connected to the internet and all files are scanned before bing transferred across then the risks of security issues is minimal.

• RMweb Premium

Which it will continue to do ad-infinitum.

Microsoft have long since dropped any support for OS versions earlier than Windows 7 and rewritten the Windows Update software / web pages such that as such earlier versions of Windows will not be able to update themselves, however much they try.

If you are lucky Microsoft may still have the various service packs available elsewhere on their site which you may be able to manually download and apply, or alternatively you may find the necessary updates now being hosted on various 3rd party update sites (which obviously comes with a risk that the software could have been tampered with or include viruses, etc). Either way the onus is clearly on you to do the digging plus of course no further updates will be issued so the security of the machine will continue to be compromised more and more as time goes by.

Of course if the Vista machine is never connected to the internet and all files are scanned before bing transferred across then the risks of security issues is minimal.

Not true, the end of life support for Vista ends on 11 April 2017, according to MS, or is there something I should know?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

• RMweb Premium

Agreed Kevin

Not true, the end of life support for Vista ends on 11 April 2017, according to MS, or is there something I should know?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Misinformation abounds.

I have probably said before but earlier in the year for a small cost we went from Vista to 7 and the to 10 for free.  The old machine has just handled the latest updates - no problem (except for my issue with Word/pdf maker which is affecting all three machines).

Ray

• RMweb Gold

I've had the damn 1607 thing allegedly "installing" for over an hour and it's still showing 0%.  

I presume it's failed and if it's still like it when I get back from the shops, I'll cancel it.

John

Correction. In the time it took to post the above it went from 0% to "completed".

It appears the progress readout is meaningless.

John

• RMweb Premium

Correction. In the time it took to post the above it went from 0% to "completed".

It appears the progress readout is meaningless.

John

I'm surprised you hadn't noticed that before! :jester:

Windows "progress" indications have been rubbish for several recent versions.

Windows XP seemed to me to have been the last one where the downloads and installs appeared anything like what was actually going on.

Of course each upgrade was done individually with XP not this batch approach we get now which MS claims is better. (for them - so you can't reject unwanted programs/downloads?)

Keith

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I'm surprised you hadn't noticed that before! :jester:

Windows "progress" indications have been rubbish for several recent versions.

Windows XP seemed to me to have been the last one where the downloads and installs appeared anything like what was actually going on.

Of course each upgrade was done individually with XP not this batch approach we get now which MS claims is better. (for them - so you can't reject unwanted programs/downloads?)

Keith

Keith

I don't normally look. My usual MO is to set it going just before bed and it's all done when I get up.

For some inexplicable reason I departed from that this morning. :jester:

I was a great fan of XP and it did everything I needed without chucking unwanted gimmicks like Cortana at me.

John  

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Windows Fonts.

I do like to get to the bottom of things.  A few days ago I was noting that my version of pdf Maker within Word would not convert some of my documents after the latest Anniversary Windows 10 update.

I couldn't settle and narrowed the problem down to whether Fonts were 'embedded' or 'system' .  In particular there was an issue with documents and spread sheets using Calibri.  This afternoon I felt sufficiently confident to copy the Calibri Fonts out of Windows.Old and overwrite the Calibri Fonts in Windows (the Anniversary Edition).  Success - all my problems solved.

As an after thought I would Google 'Calibri Windows 10'.  Yes - Windows 10 update has a different version of Calibri with numbers that are apparently too wide to fit in some people's spread sheets.  The solution is to do just what I have done - over write the new with the old.  Google would also suggest that some Fonts have disappeared altogether from the Anniversay Edition - no explanation available!

Well that has filled in a few (happy) hours.

Ray