Pencarne, = BLT from page 54

Andrew P

Love the weathering Buddy, when my O gauge 08 finally gets here l will get you to do some of your magic on it, also l will want to fit a sound chip into it as well...only a five minute job for you, Hahahahaha nice videos too...

Cheers mate, If the 08 is like the Terrier it will have the Speaker housing and probably a 21 pin plug, so should be an easy job, then just get some pics of how you want your 08 to look so I have something to work from.

Morning Andy, for None NEM Wagons and some Locos I use a No 5, Its a box, spring and coupling,

No 5.png

No 5 components.png

images.jpg

It's also worth getting a height gauge.

imagesWHH8LTAY.jpg

Cheers Andrew. I have a height gauge that I've had for years and used number 5s before. But as you know they can't fit onto all stock. I am finding locos the challenge at present.

Regards Andy R

Morning Andy, for None NEM Wagons and some Locos I use a No 5, Its a box, spring and coupling,

No 5.png

No 5 components.png

images.jpg

imagesWHH8LTAY.jpg

Cheers Andrew. I have a height gauge that I've had for years and used number 5s before. But as you know they can't fit onto all stock. I am finding locos the challenge at present.

Regards Andy R

No 5.png

No 5 components.png

images.jpg

imagesWHH8LTAY.jpg

Regards Andy R

Regards Andy R

Regards Andy R

Regards Andy R

Which one's Andy,  I might be able to help and show some pics.

Well quite an nice morning filming on Pen, today it's once again been moved to North Somerset and again paying homage to Mac Pyrkes  Berrow Branch. I hope to have the Video ready for downloading in a couple of hours, JUST CONFIRMED 3 HOURS TO DOWNLOAD, :O to You Tube as it's about 15 minutes long. and it has the 108 unit and a Sound 4F. I hope it comes out O.K.

Well quite an nice morning filming on Pen, today it's once again been moved to North Somerset and again paying homage to Mac Pyrkes  Berrow Branch. I hope to have the Video ready for downloading in a couple of hours, JUST CONFIRMED 3 HOURS TO DOWNLOAD, :O to You Tube as it's about 15 minutes long. and it has the 108 unit and a Sound 4F. I hope it comes out O.K.

Hi Andy that means I put my lunch on hold and take a later work break. I love train spotting sat in my comfy office chair. Looking forward to it already

Dan

AndyR, if you are using the Kadee height gauge it is set for American HO stock so misleading/useless for other vehicles/locos. That is if I understand your problem correctly.

I have endeavoured to standardize my British OO stock to one standard based on Bachmann, which is what I prefer and it works with adjustments to stock....and a lot of patience.

If you have a great variety of stock you have a problem to overcome but it can be done-over time.

This incompatability of couplings and their varying heights was one of the principal reasons I gave  up British outline modelling and the lack of a common standard among manufacturers. I've written at length about this elsewhere and on many occasions.

Things have got better, but problems still persist.

It's also one of the reasons why tension lock couplings are so popular for they are a lot more forgiving.

I'm sorry AndyP this is OT, but I couldn't let the matter pass without comment.

And AndyR, please email me if you wish to discuss the matter further.

AndyR, if you are using the Kadee height gauge it is set for American HO stock so misleading/useless for other vehicles/locos. That is if I understand your problem correctly.

I have endeavoured to standardize my British OO stock to one standard based on Bachmann, which is what I prefer and it works with adjustments to stock....and a lot of patience.

If you have a great variety of stock you have a problem to overcome but it can be done-over time.

This incompatability of couplings and their varying heights was one of the principal reasons I gave  up British outline modelling and the lack of a common standard among manufacturers. I've written at length about this elsewhere and on many occasions.

Things have got better, but problems still persist.

It's also one of the reasons why tension lock couplings are so popular for they are a lot more forgiving.

I'm sorry AndyP this is OT, but I couldn't let the matter pass without comment.

And AndyR, please email me if you wish to discuss the matter further.

Thanks you for your timely intervention John, just to add that unfortunately for Dapol who make some wonderful wagons and Liveries their couplings are the pants, and have a most annoying droop, so making NEM all but useless on their wagon product, yet their Class 22 and 52 / Westerns are spot on.

AndyP, I quite agree about Dapol and have stopped buying their wagons for that very reason.

Those I do run are remounted on Bachmann underframes when they fit-another example of lack of common standards-and to a non-purist like myself I can then get the best of both worlds.

At last the Video has up loaded, so again it's paying homage to Mac Pyrke's Somerset and Dorset Berrow Branch.

Pencarne, Somerset and Dorset, 4F with Sound Shunts the Yard and a 108 Unit arrives and departs.

Clever Andy, but too noisy for me. Those horns, whistles and chuffs would send me potty.

And Mac's locos were a lot cleaner as well as being driven more slowly. Though he didn't object to a spot of  dash when shunting..

But very nicely done and Pencarne is so very appealing visually.

Andy, if you have one could you do a side by side comparison of a Dapol wizzo next to the Heljan one - shot 015, but with the pair next to each other.

I want to compare them if possible....

As always, happy to oblige when I can, The Green one is the Dapol, unfortunately I went and SOLD the Blue Dapol on last week and shouldn't have done, when will I learn?

post-9335-0-98674700-1474655387_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-28183800-1474655418_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-92819100-1474655436_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-72029600-1474655456_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-23810100-1474655475_thumb.jpg

Sorry, I forgot to do the Roofs.

Clever Andy, but too noisy for me. Those horns, whistles and chuffs would send me potty.

And Mac's locos were a lot cleaner as well as being driven more slowly. Though he didn't object to a spot of  dash when shunting..

But very nicely done and Pencarne is so very appealing visually.

Correct John, but had I done the Shunting at the CORRECT SPEED, and had 8 Fag Breaks, 3 Mugs of Tea and a trip or two to the Loo it would be a 2 Hour Video, ahahha.

• RMweb Gold

I know that other threads have been full of 'discussion' over the merits of the two Westerns: I will want to replace my Lima version so I was wondering if you have a preference.

Thanks,

Paul.

I know that other threads have been full of 'discussion' over the merits of the two Westerns: I will want to replace my Lima version so I was wondering if you have a preference.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi Paul, My mate has about 4 Heljan and 3 Dapol Westerns, he prefers the Heljan running and Dapol Detail. I have just the 2 Dapol, (was 3 / see above) and now the one Heljan that has only had short runs so far but having 4 Heljan 47's  and 3 x 33's I have to say I'm looking forward to getting some more.

TBH I would buy either as to me I cant see or hear any difference between them once weathered and running.

AndrewP and John F

Thanks again. I am endeavouring to put kadees on a Bachman 57xx class loco which does not have NEM pockets and needs a small kadee to fit under buffer beam at correct height. Needed to cut plastic of tension coupling away. Then I find so many choices in reading literature on line it just gets confusing. That's when I ask for help on the web.

Anyway I will keep experimenting.

Regards Andy R

Thanks you for your timely intervention John, just to add that unfortunately for Dapol who make some wonderful wagons and Liveries their couplings are the pants, and have a most annoying droop, so making NEM all but useless on their wagon product, yet their Class 22 and 52 / Westerns are spot on.

AndrewP and John F

Thanks again. I am endeavouring to put kadees on a Bachman 57xx class loco which does not have NEM pockets and needs a small kadee to fit under buffer beam at correct height. Needed to cut plastic of tension coupling away. Then I find so many choices in reading literature on line it just gets confusing. That's when I ask for help on the web.

Regards Andy R

I've just been out to look at my 57XX and that's got NEM pockets and they are the right height so it was a normal No 18 strait in.

You must have a newer one. Mines over 10 years old hence the head scratching on what one to use.

Thanks Andrew.

I've just been out to look at my 57XX and that's got NEM pockets and they are the right height so it was a normal No 18 strait in.

AndyR: this really is OT but if AndyP allows-you have a problem.

I recognize it because I have Panniers like that but I dodged it by putting them aside and purchasing new-which have better bodies and NEM pockets.

However, if you reckon you can cut away whatever of the chassis is required, start with a #18 in place and hold it there with a rubber band. If it works fix it, if not try 19's and 20's.

AndyR: this really is OT but if AndyP allows-you have a problem.

I recognize it because I have Panniers like that but I dodged it by putting them aside and purchasing new-which have better bodies and NEM pockets.

However, if you reckon you can cut away whatever of the chassis is required, start with a #18 in place and hold it there with a rubber band. If it works fix it, if not try 19's and 20's.

I agree John, but I think Andy's main problem is packing out / cutting away for the height under the Buffer Beam and using a No5 Box.

I've no problem with this discussion continuing on here in small doses as it is now, and if it helps a Digital Friend.

Thanks Andy,  I agree it's very difficult to cut away there. I've looked at mine several times and decided against it.

But why use a box, just glue the coupling with the shank cut back as needs be. That has worked for me in other circumstances.

Here, I think if one is going to do it no amount of asking will offer a solution. You just have to get on with what ever you consider best- and see where it goes.

First of all great photos Andy, Think I may have to get myself a Western, it is on my list............so many locos so little cash  :jester:

AndrewP and John F

Regards Andy R

Does the coupling unscrew? I had this with a parcels van, I unscrewed the coupling and then took a Kadee #20 and drilled a hole in it. Attaching it back to the van using the existing screw, Coupling was at the correct height. 

Regards 
Scott 

Archived