The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Not living in the British Isles, pictures of your own area.

N15class

41 minutes ago, AndyID said:

You weren't supposed to answer. Obviously far too easy for you :lol:

The three ‘main road’ braes in the general area (as distinct from those in towns) were the Hatton, Homeston and Haylie.

Oh course there was also the Gleniffer Braes road by Paisley. Back in the 50's my dad's favorite trick was to startle courting couples who were walking up to The Bonnie Wee Well by turning the ignition off and on to make the engine backfire :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, AndyID said:

I found Hatton (Bishopton) but where was Homeston?

Follow the A78 southwest out of Greenock towards Inverkip, past what used to be IBM Spango Valley. The Homeston Brae isn’t marked, but it starts just after Dunrod Road goes off to the left and goes down to what used to be the T junction (now a roundabout) with the A770. On our single-gear bikes, we used to pedal from the top till we couldn’t keep up with the speed of the wheels, then freewheel and see how far we could get - usually as far as the first houses (Bridgend) in Inverkip.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Lunch stop on our drive across southern BC today - Wilgress Lake rest area. Temperature just above freezing point and brilliant sunshine; just a beautiful day to travel:

6B2085A8-C6FC-4823-80F6-C91DB74AB1C0.jpeg.f86d9b00f4f9de29dc937cccafc779db.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, pH said:

Lunch stop on our drive across southern BC today - Wilgress Lake rest area. Temperature just above freezing point and brilliant sunshine; just a beautiful day to travel:

6B2085A8-C6FC-4823-80F6-C91DB74AB1C0.jpeg.f86d9b00f4f9de29dc937cccafc779db.jpeg

For the benefit of those who might be unfamiliar with this part of America many of those evergreens are not actually "evergreen". They are Larch. Their needles turns yellow and are shed at this time of year. (It took me some time to understand what was going on :))

31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

For the benefit of those who might be unfamiliar with this part of America many of those evergreens are not actually "evergreen". They are Larch. Their needles turns yellow and are shed at this time of year. (It took me some time to understand what was going on :))

And to help you with identification:

https://youtu.be/mBcTXBhYzfM

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Those lying barstewards! Obviously it was a pine.

They say it’s a larch tree - you have a different view. Obviously, a difference of a pine yin!

• Funny 4

Rocky Mountaineer train returning from Vancouver through Cochrane, Alberta, just south of where we live, a few years back.

Steamer at Stettler Alberta, We visited a few years ago. It  does prairie railway excursions. 

A scene from our local road looking across to the Rocky mountains. in the Spring time.

Thanks guys for all the lovely scenes around the world, it is interesting to see where all you folks live from an ex pat. living in the wilds of Canada. with his British model railway, which I have yet to show. maybe one day.

image_014.jpg

image_045.jpg

Forest Trunk Road.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I ran the mower in the front yard last week to mulch the leaves, nice and clean but the %$##_((&($T# cottonwood refilled it n9icely the next day! :( That is allright, the tree will be gone next year! :drinks: Unfortunately the wood is too brittle to use for anything useful.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

3 hours ago, autocoach said:

Need to get the electric leaf blower out soon to clean up my tiny courtyard of Japanese Maple leaves...

20211120Japanese Maple .jpg

Our son-in-law lives in Orange County. He's a manager with a construction company and they just got a contract for a big job on Catalina Island. The poor guy has to commute to Catalina every week for quite a while :D

• Like 2