Modbury

Ian Smith

• RMweb Gold

Superb Ian. I suspect there was some mild tutting over the clerestory. 

Interesting to follow your build sequence. You have fitted the door handles very early on. I might try that on some 7mm 6 wheelers I have to assemble.

Don

6 hours ago, Donw said:

I suspect there was some mild tutting over the clerestory. 

Or words to that effect! 🤫

Jim 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very nicely done Ian. On Pheasants you sometimes see several males all posturing to each other, sometimes a male with a few ladies or a females with some young. 

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Or dead in the road - but perhaps not at your period. Poachers worked under cover of darkness but you could have the squire with his gun and dog.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Always nice to see your work Ian, the high quality of it gives me something to aim for, so thanks for showing it. Those pheasants are great, the poses are just right. Encounter a lot around Essex/Suffolk at certain times of the years on the quieter byways. The males are really silly birds, running in front of traffic and then dithering about, too taken with chasing the females, so very sadly you often see them as road kill when vehicles won't slow down to avoid hitting them.

Bob

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Always nice to see your work Ian, the high quality of it gives me something to aim for, so thanks for showing it.

Bob, thankyou for such a nice comment, although in reality I think it is me aiming to accomplish what you and others do!!

I think pheasants an pigeons are about the same in the sense stakes, although to give them their due they didn’t evolve to have to avoid anything tearing down at them at 50+ mph!! (although pigeons may have an odd peregrine to worry about).

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

but you could have the squire with his gun and dog.

no then you need the character with a coat with poachers pockets

Anyway excellent if unusual modelling Ian

Nick

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

At least your pheasants aren't camouflaged.

DSCF1129.JPG.1e5158c9d3a260096eda1b100045b653.JPG

Like this one.

DSCF1130.JPG.87e770627d809accc421fae34312275b.JPG

Can you see her now?

Regards

Ian

When he worked on the line around Manton Junction in LMS and later BR days, my Grandad Bob's stretch of line adjoined an estate around a big house at Gunthorpe, so they would keep the estate's Gamekeepers informed of any birds, usually Pheasant, nesting by the line.

During the season, for 'services rendered' I believe he would also receive a brace of pheasant now and then.

As for male Pheasants, I did hear the call of a male Pheasant once described as sounding like the Pheasant is constantly 'failing to start up his internal combustion engine' !

Cheers,

John

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Edwardian Modbury gets dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century!!!!

No, I've not got baulk road track with overhead electrification!  However, we do now have available some fancy electronics!

But first a bit of background.  While Modbury has now been to several exhibitions, one problem does regularly recur - the fiddle yard operator (at the Newton Abbot end) gets involved in talking to the punters and as a result the trains stop moving.  Obviously, with Modbury having a total length of only 10' it is not impossible for the main operator (at the control panel at the Plymouth end) to go to the other end of the layout and service himself as it were, however at busy periods (usually the very time that the fiddle yard operator gets involved in such conversations), trying to get from one end of the layout to the other and back again is problematic.

So to the solution (hopefully).  My good friend and fellow Midland Area Group member, John Russell, being and electronics guru has devised and developed a couple of boxes of electronics to allow end-to-end communication.  At Tuesday nights meeting he kindly demonstrated said gubbins, and sent me away with the bits and bobs to complete the project.

1.jpg.7ba9342b9c46e2a4dd3f183c00672081.jpg

Firstly, a pair of identical circuit boards (this one is the "slave" for the Newton Abbot end).  After making up the box for the "master" and following a conversation with John I removed the rotary switch on the slave as it is currently surplus to requirements for that end.  The "master" also has a pair of power leads coming off the socket to allow connection to a 12v power supply.

2.jpg.5f96664c4a5b46c32a0eaafcaee29e41.jpg

A couple of small boxes into which I had to fit the electronics gubbins were also supplied, as was a cable to connect the two circuit boards together and allow them to talk to each other.

3.jpg.b7327a53306604450b3212eba09c0aa3.jpg

After an hour or two drilling and filing, I had holes in the relevant places to match the rotary switch (only on the "master"), the display and the button on the circuit board.  I also found it necessary to drill some holes above the buzzer to help let the noise out!

With the two boxes connected and power supplied to the "master" box, the rotary switch can be turned clockwise to select 0, 1, 2, ...8, or 9, or anti-clockwise to select P(assenger), F(reight), or E(mpty road).  As the knob is rotated (on the "master") the selections are shown on the display in red, when the display shows the required selection the button can be pressed which will instigate communication between the two boxes, causing the "slave" box to illuminate it's display with the selection from the "master" (also in red) and sound a buzzer to alert the fiddle yard operator that he needs to do something.  Once the fiddle yard operator has set up the request, he can press the button on his box which will change the displays on both boxes to green and sound a buzzer on the "master" to let the control operator know that everything is ready.

4.jpg.616a19ee9882166864569ad912633559.jpg

The knob on the "master" has been rotated anti-clockwise to request a P(assenger) train to be made ready at the other end, the button has been pressed causing the request to show up (in red) on the "slave" and sound the buzzer at that end.

5.jpg.6cb17a4401fea74ada9694248ad9ea0f.jpg

The fiddle yard operator has made a passenger train ready and has pressed the button which has sounded a buzzer on the "master" (control panel) end and set both displays too green.

The next phase will be to dream up what the 0 - 9 indications might be used to request, eg. 0 - Cattle Train, 1 - Stream Railmotor, 2 - Pick-up Goods, etc.  Although I think for our next outing at Loughborough in August I might just stick to using the P, F, and E indications to see how effective the concept is.

Thanks for looking,

Ian

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

If the Newton Abbott FY operator is being distracted by conversations perhaps a ‘call attention’ bell is needed too? Lest they miss the change of message on the indicator….

Duncan

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 minutes ago, drduncan said:

If the Newton Abbott FY operator is being distracted by conversations perhaps a ‘call attention’ bell is needed too? Lest they miss the change of message on the indicator….

Duncan

Hopefully we can facilitate that by repeated pressing button on master box as each time button pressed the buzzer sounds on the slave.

• RMweb Gold

The numbers could be used for all sorts of communications, 

1. I need a brew.

2. Caution - rucksack.

3. Make sure there's a biscuit with it.

4. Warning - rivet counter. 

5. Maybe a bit of cake.

6. This one's grandad drove flying Scotsman.

And so on... 

Looks a brilliant bit of kit. 

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

On 07/07/2024 at 02:30, VRBroadgauge said:

You could save yourself some time and effort and just use a broom handle - one poke for attention and two pokes for hurry up.

Or a cattle prod

• Like 1
  • Funny 1