Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

Then there was always some proper NB traction if neither were available.....

post-18515-0-81230900-1448198637.jpg

I remember this day well. Had been out all day Friday bashing and ended up doing an overnight up to Holyhead. The plan the next day was to do the Deltic on a XC service to Ramsgate. To do this meant going back to Brum with a 37 and arriving at about 5:30ish in the morning. To fill in a couple of hours ended up doing the 37 back out to Wolves via Bescot and then jumping on a Euston back to Brum. A normal overnight I would have stayed on the tractor back to Rhyl in the land of slumber.

Anyway on arrival back at Brum all my mates were up on the concourse. "Heard the news" was the greeting. "079 is coming out on the coast" Needless to say we didn't do the Deltic to Ramsgate and I could have had a nice doss back to Rhyl rather than some rancid fill in move round the Black Country in the early hours of the morning.

Ah, those were the days!!

• Like 1

There was certainly an article by Simon and Andrew Tucker describing the "summer special" stock they assembled for their their layout Castle Cary, which comprised Departmental and Dutch 37s and blue/grey, NSE and Regional Mk1s and Mk2s IIRC.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

Spot on! I've just dug out the article. They created a fantastic layout.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Sorry to draw away from the original topic, but was this article just on the stock for Castle Cary, or was it an article on the layout itself?

I do like to go back and collect the mags with my favourite layouts in, so if anyone knows of a Castle Cary feature do please let me know.

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul,

There were two articles, one on the layout and one on the stock. I've got the layout one somewhere too.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Thanks for the kind words.

Now here's a pretty cruel close up of the offices so far after doing a little work finishing off the desks and chairs last night and adding some boxy 1991 style computers. Still need to do some cupboards and the like and get the rest of the skirting boards on but getting there. There is also some pretty rough walls on one side due to me changing tact and making the interior visible. I had to remove some strengthener pieces that took the surface of the wall internally with it. I will have to cover the roughness with radiators or something.

post-6894-0-13876800-1448364143_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Now here's a pretty cruel close up of the offices so far after doing a little work finishing off the desks and chairs last night and adding some boxy 1991 style computers. Still need to do some cupboards and the like and get the rest of the skirting boards on but getting there. There is also some pretty rough walls on one side due to me changing tact and making the interior visible. I had to remove some strengthener pieces that took the surface of the wall internally with it. I will have to cover the roughness with radiators or something.

attachicon.gifBoT Office Section.jpg

Come on Cav, its time to own up and tell the TRUTH its O Gauge really isn't it, that's NEVER N Gauge / 2mm.

Fantastic but I think the Toyota Carpet was Red, hahhahha

Haha cheers Andy, it would be less faffy in O!

The upper floor is only laid in place at the moment as I still have details downstairs to do and add some figures going about their work (they still need painting though as currently they are laid on my desk coated in black undercoat). Once those are sorted I can go about putting the roof on.

As for the carpet I just remember lots of blue ones in offices back then, I have no idea even what offices those are in reality and most certainly have no idea what it was like inside. The carpets actually have a subtle chequer pattern to them to represent the laying of carpet tiles in alternate directions. The photo doesn't pick it up though I don't think.

• Like 1

Haha cheers Andy, it would be less faffy in O!

The upper floor is only laid in place at the moment as I still have details downstairs to do and add some figures going about their work (they still need painting though as currently they are laid on my desk coated in black undercoat). Once those are sorted I can go about putting the roof on.

As for the carpet I just remember lots of blue ones in offices back then, I have no idea even what offices those are in reality and most certainly have no idea what it was like inside. The carpets actually have a subtle chequer pattern to them to represent the laying of carpet tiles in alternate directions. The photo doesn't pick it up though I don't think.

It's a slightly bluer version of the one we have in the UK Control Centre, which would have been specified at about that time; don't forget the trail of tea and coffee stains.

attachicon.gifBoT Office Section.jpg

Isn't the layout set in a time before Call Centres?

Nice work Cav

• Like 1

Ah the use of 'splendid'. I resurrected the word myself the other day and I must now use it whenever I can!

Anyway thanks for the praise. The office looks a bit rough in those photos which is a little disappointing as in real life it looks pretty good, apart from the dog rough walls mentioned earlier. The worst bit is how the carpets and ceilings stick to the floor slabs at the cut face. It seems that they can't be stuck down neatly in any way shape or form in such a small scale. Oh well. Once I have all the furniture done, people in and the roof on I am confident it will look the business!

Ok no pics of the loco but I'll pop one on later. Finally got around to stripping out the Dapol 56 ready for respray. Managed to total the glazing as its glued in like nothing on earth and the slightest pressure cracks it. Grrr. Half wish I'd left it in and masked it off instead. Oh well not my style. So anyway once done I'll be hand cutting myself some from styrene. I also have decided that the no 2 end roof grilles are an insane choice. I've cut them out and knocked up replacements that I've ordered from shapeways. Just got wait for them to come now!

• Like 1

Quick picture of the grilles cut out. The white is filler as I had a ridiculous idea that I was going to make grilles from filler, yeah right. That idea didn't last long.

post-6894-0-02689300-1449181777_thumb.jpg

So instead I have cut them away and I will replace them with these when they arrive.

post-6894-0-32555100-1449181663.jpg

• Like 6

Out of interest, did the Denby Colliery MGR trains ever run down through Burton on Trent?

I have found pictures showing the service going to Toton yard and also to Willington Power Station (which is the right direction just not far enough down).

I just think that it would be interesting for viewers, and provide a talking point at shows for people in the know, if I ran a rake of hoppers occasionally with a brake van either end of the rake to simulate a train that has used the Denby branch prior to closure. 

Yes loads of coal went through Burton on Trent, the question I ask is did any of the Denby Colliery ones go through there as they were a bit special in that they had to run with a brake van at each end of the rake to allow the train crew to open and close all of the level crossing gates down the Denby branch.