Burton On Trent in N2

RBE

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Your comments about the 56 got me thinking, and I went back to the original review I wrote for Model Rail in 2012.

I measured the width of the Dapol 56 at 19.3mm.  According to my data, the real thing is 2790mm wide, which scales to 18.9, so the Dapol model is 0.4mm too wide.  

However I also checked the review of the Farish 47 in 2008, and found that it was 18.6mm wide, so if we take the same width measurement for the prototype then the Farish model is 0.3mm too narrow.

So comparing the two exaggerates the issue, since one is to wide but the other is too thin!

Also worth mentioning the relative size: Dapol is 2.1% too wide, Farish 1.6% too narrow.... but very interesting how visible the difference is when they are next to each other.

cheers

Ben A.

Yes Ben when I was checking dims I also found this to be the case however the 56 clearly looks proportionally too wide, however the 47 doesn't look propertionally thin and hence the roof domes look wrong and right respectively. The 56 when comparing to photos of the real loco looks like it needs at least another 1mm to 1.5mm in height to get the shape correct. It would be interesting to measure up a Hornby class 56 as they look to be correct in this respect. I wonder if the width of the cab front stacks up? Both the 47 and 56 have cabs that narrow as they come from the main body width to the nose. The 56's front end looks considerably wider than the 47's, maybe overall width isn't the issue but cab front width?

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Premium

Good point there Cav. The Hornby 56 cab tappers at the front, which measures 31.25mm on a Romanian variant, BREL Early Doncaster build and late BREL Doncaster build bodies.

Overall body width is 35.31mm

2790 / 76.2 = 36.71

So the body is under width by 1.6mm! assuming 2790 is correct. Will consult in some reference books . . . . . 

That is interesting. The Hornby one looks right as does the farish 47. Are we sure that 2790mm is correct. My reference book says 2790mm (9ft 2in) but this drawing suggests 8ft 9.5in (2680mm).

Scaling that to N (2680/148 = 18.1mm) or 4mm scale (2680/76.2 = 35.17mm).

To me these reflect the better looking Hornby 56 and farish 47. I don't know.

post-6894-0-18066000-1446072631_thumb.jpg

I cant measure across the nose of the Dapol 56 right now but I'll do it tomorrow and compare with the Hornby dims.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Cav,

Some of the references I had showed the 47 width at 8'9.5" too.

There was a big debate about this a few years ago when Heljan released an overwide model of the 47 in OO, but I can't remember how it was resolved, though I am pretty sure at least a couple of people mmeasured the width of a 47 to check.

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Cav,

Some of the references I had showed the 47 width at 8'9.5" too.

There was a big debate about this a few years ago when Heljan released an overwide model of the 47 in OO, but I can't remember how it was resolved, though I am pretty sure at least a couple of people mmeasured the width of a 47 to check.

cheers

Ben A.

Be interesting to see those results Ben.

• RMweb Premium

The width quoted by Ben is not quite right. Brush brochure for the 56 status width over handrails is 2794mm. Width over body sides is 2686mm. Therefore:-

2686 / 76 = 35.34mm

So I'd suggest the Hornby body is more or less spot on in width.

Makes sense to me. For N gauge that makes it as follows.

2686/148 = 18.15mm

Thats actaully 0.45mm narrower than the farish 47 given Bens farish dims (I will measure mine later as well to make sure we get the same results). The Dapol 56 at 19.3mm is a wopping 1.15mm too wide which scales at 170mm or almost 7 inches in old money. In the flesh is most certainly looks wide to me. It seems that quoted prototype widths for the 56 are over handrails given Rich's data (4mm discrepancy) & it seems that Dapol have followed this. Farish though still a tad wide looks to have used the correct width as a basis.

Edited by RBE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

The difference between the measurements across the handrails and across the body certainly rings a bell - I have a feeling the problem with the Heljan 47 was the same - but TBH I didn't pay that much attention as it was 4mm. I think most of the chat took place on one of the now defunct Yahoo groups - maybe the Demu group before it became a forum....

cheers

Ben A.

• 3 weeks later...

The ones of the 58 and 47 are ace as they show lots of the details that I need to model. I would be very interested in higher res versions. Thanks for your interest, as my back has started to recover I am now gradually increasing my modelling a little. I should hopefully be back on the layout soon but have a few commissions to finish off first!

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

The ones of the 58 and 47 are ace as they show lots of the details that I need to model. I would be very interested in higher res versions. Thanks for your interest, as my back has started to recover I am now gradually increasing my modelling a little. I should hopefully be back on the layout soon but have a few commissions to finish off first!

[and then there is this  attachment=645555:22710508839_78525608ae_m.jpg]

post-3522-0-30271600-1447808106.jpg

post-3522-0-19376300-1447860751.jpg