Hornby controller for N gauage

gresley76

I'm moving from OO to N due to lack of space. Also somewhat strapped for cash so wondering if my ancient Hornby controller with built in transformer would work the N Gauge locos or would it be too powerful? It's the standard Hornby controller from 1982 when I got my first trainset. I'd prefer to spend money on nice new engines rather than controllers. If the Hornby one won't work what would be the best controller to get for a double track oval?

• RMweb Premium

I'm moving from OO to N due to lack of space. Also somewhat strapped for cash so wondering if my ancient Hornby controller with built in transformer would work the N Gauge locos or would it be too powerful? It's the standard Hornby controller from 1982 when I got my first trainset. I'd prefer to spend money on nice new engines rather than controllers. If the Hornby one won't work what would be the best controller to get for a double track oval?

Hi

It should be fine (I used an ancient HM3000 for my N layout until I had saved enough to buy my DCC system).

Cheers

Paul

Both 00 and N gauge use 12v DC motors so there will be no risk in using an old Hornby controller. What you may find though is that fine control is difficult. Some cheaper 00 controllers do not have fine control for things like shunting in N gauge.

If you find that you locos take off like jack-rabbits then this could be a reason. Your Hornby controller may well work fine but if not the Bachmann controller from their N gauge trainsets can be picked up cheaply on eBay if you want.

Archived